View Full Version : Bluetooth LAN???

jsstevo
11-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Is it possible for me to put a Bluetooth device into a Lan point and be able to conect a BT devide to it?

I don't really want to keep having to connect my RJ45 lead all the time.

Cheers

hamishmacdonald
11-27-2003, 01:41 PM
If I'm reading what you wrote correctly, you're wondering if it's possible to add hardward that will give you Bluetooth access to a LAN. Absolutely! I use a Belkin Bluetooth access point at home, and connect wirelessly to it with my iPAQ.

The access point also required an Ethernet hub in my case, but I've heard that may be because of my ISP (something to do with their particular requirements for PPP over Ethernet); I've read that others haven't needed to use a hub.

There are other brands of access point. I first used an X-Bridge access point, but my unit burnt out (or something) within two weeks of my buying it and stopped working. I also purchased a Tecom access point, which didn't work at all. So save yourself the trouble and money and go with the Belkin - that's my advice.

onepieceman
12-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Having just purchased an XDA2, I'm wondering whether I can use a bluetooth access point instead of WiFi. This will save me having to swap my memory card with a WiFi card, as the XDA2 has bluetooth built in but not WiFi.
I see two issues with this;
a) The range of the bluetooth might not be great. Just how bad is it? I have heard up to 100m quoted (which would be fine), but what is the reality?
b) The XDA bluetooth implementation might not be up to the job. I know there have been problems getting it to work with other Bluetooth items such as GPS systems.

Anyone know anything about either case?