View Full Version : Test Your Digital IQ

Jason Dunn
11-27-2003, 05:13 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.msnbc.com/news/987180.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.msnbc.com/news/987180.asp</a><br /><br /></div>We all like to take self-tests right? Well, this one is for geeks, because it measures your Digital IQ. Or it purports to - some of the questions are genuinely geeky, but others are just plain cheesy. And why did I lose points for buying my computer parts locally instead of online? Or opening attachments from people I don't know? It's not like I'm going to open a PIF of BAT file. And NOT having anti-virus software is the mark of a true geek - we protect ourselves with KNOWLEDGE rather than software. Sheesh. :roll: :lol: But to prove that it's not terribly challenging, out of 81015 responses, 43% of people scored above 110. I scored a 194, and the person who made up the ranking matrix isn't a geek - because if they were, they'd know that "geeks" and "nerds" are not the same thing. Poor MSNBC. Next time, hire a geek to write your survey. :roll: <br /><br />I'm feeling a bit smarmy tonight. Off to set up my ReplayTV and try to get it working in Canada even though it's not supposed to (speaking of which, if anyone who works for Shaw Cable is reading this, <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/contact.php">please contact me</a>). Grrrr - I'm a GEEK baby! :lol:

cptpoland
11-27-2003, 05:24 AM
I bow to the King :D

scored a measly 175.....

CP

Dave Beauvais
11-27-2003, 05:38 AM
I took this a couple weeks ago and scored 204. (I need a girlfriend.) ;)

Janak Parekh
11-27-2003, 06:06 AM
I took this a couple weeks ago and scored 204. (I need a girlfriend.) ;)
203. Although I blatantly disagree with their scoring of about 7-10 questions...

--janak

Kevin Jackson
11-27-2003, 06:12 AM
218 BABY! 8)

I'm a Geek's Geek

dh
11-27-2003, 06:13 AM
173, I feel such a loser.

Pat Logsdon
11-27-2003, 06:14 AM
203 as well. I think I missed points for not installing the Google Toolbar. :roll:

guinness
11-27-2003, 06:26 AM
145, I have no use for WiFi or Bluetooth.

Steven Cedrone
11-27-2003, 06:30 AM

I guess I'm just not the geek I thought I was... :wink:

Steve

dean_shan
11-27-2003, 06:48 AM
147 Not having a Cell Phone really dropped my score down.

qmrq
11-27-2003, 06:52 AM
203 as well. I think I missed points for not installing the Google Toolbar. :roll:
That's pretty stupid. If you have a real internet browser there's no reason to install google's toolbar dealie. There was some sort of quiz like this in the latest newsweek, and I think it's not a very good measure of geekiness. I'll have to look at it again when I get home.. some of the questions and scoring I really disagree with.

yada88
11-27-2003, 07:02 AM
That test is pretty stupid. No true geek has their own configured "yahoo" or "aol" page except from when they were 6, because he or she has moved WAY beyond that point. And blogging doesn't mean you're a geek, it means you like to express yourself. Just because someone else writes a blog, doesn't mean he or she is at all geaky, and surely not as geaky as I.

(am)

freitasm
11-27-2003, 07:10 AM
199... I think I missed installing Linux on my computer...

tonyyeb
11-27-2003, 07:35 AM
I'm just midway through and question 17 asks what does MP stand for in MP3. Now ithought it was M PEG as in mpeg 3 encoding but this isn't an option!!!!!

* Microsoft Protocol - well it aint M$ and it aint a protocol
* Music Programming - It is music but nothing to do with programming
* Motion Picture - Hmmmm don't think so either

Yeah i'm sure its MPEG Audio Layer 3!

Now either i'm making a complete fool of myself or they've cocked it up a bit!

Tonyyeb

EDIT: Well i got 173 but not much of a test. I'm a network admin for a medium sized college questions like do you know how to turn off 'clippy' in office?!!! OMG!!!

T-Will
11-27-2003, 07:36 AM
153, scary...I'm getting up near the super-geek level. ;)

bjornkeizers
11-27-2003, 07:38 AM
I feel so much better now, reading everyone's scores :D

I do have wifi installed at home, and a google toolbar, yes, but I missed big points on not surfing over cellphone and not using bluetooth - though I did get those 10 points for having installed Linux!!

masaki
11-27-2003, 07:49 AM

Pat Logsdon
11-27-2003, 08:12 AM
* Motion Picture - Hmmmm don't think so either
Actually, this one is correct. MP3 is shorthand for the third "audio" layer of the MPEG-1 codec, which is in turn short for "Motion Picture Coding Experts Group".

Embarassingly enough, I knew that without checking the Wikipedia definition (http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-1). :oops:

Jonathan1
11-27-2003, 08:17 AM
I got a 168. But really, Most of the questions are quite simplistic. I mean for god sake what does the Google toolbar have to do with being a geek.

bsoft
11-27-2003, 08:20 AM
180, answering truthfully.

Got mucho points for:

- Run Linux (They should really give you extra points for running 2.6.0-test10 kernel)
- Bought Computer Online (Again, they should give you points for building it)
- Have a PDA, Cellphone, and they are integrated, and they are synced continuously, and I access the internet on them regularly

Lost some points for:
- No antivirus. I like to live dangerously.

Some points of note:
- Closest (free & legal) WiFi hotspot is at Mugs Coffee Lounge. It's 640K DSL, but for free, who's complaining.
- PDA/Phone is a Danger Hiptop (T-Mobile Sidekick). I'm on my 4th one.
- I use a (personally customized) version of Slackware on my notebook, along with Windows 2000
- My highest score on the test was 237 (not answering honestly)
- I do have a wireless keyboard and mouse, but I prefer my Microsoft Internet Keyboard and Logitech MX300 optical mouse
- My desktop is self-built. Athlon 2000+ (1667) 180nm 256k. Abit NV7m (NForce 420-D). 512M PC2100 DDR (256M Micron, 256M Samsung). 160GB HDD (2x Samsung SpinPoint P40 7200rpm RAID0). GeForce4 Ti 4200 (Chaintech GT21). Samsung SyncMaster 900SL monitor (1600x1200x32 @ 75hz). Enlight case/300w PSU. Only 3 fans, all Panaflo L1a (24cfm/1900rpm/80mm). Alpha 8045 heatsink, Zalman ZM80A-HP heatpipe GPU cooler. Arctec 52x CD-RW, Hitachi 8x DVD-ROM. Logitech MX300 (modded with blue and green LEDs). Microsoft Internet Keyboard.
- Internet is Comcast. Can't wait for 3mbit in January.
- Network setup: Linksys 1-port router, DWL-900 wireless access point, EDIMAX 16 port switch with auto MDI/MDI-X. Edimax highly recommended, 16 port on Newegg for under $50.
- Notebook is a Dell CSX. Obtained on EBay for $350. Pentium III 500, Windows 2000/Linux, 256M PC100, Compaq wireless adaptor (Prisim based), IBM 20GB HDD.

tonyyeb
11-27-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks Surgical Snack for making me look foolish!!! :oops:

Never mind.... it's a stupid test anyway!!!

(Sob sob)

gpspassion
11-27-2003, 10:15 AM
207 here ;-)
Not sure how the scoring works, do you maybe get negative points in some cases?

Phoenix
11-27-2003, 11:05 AM
I scored 212.

I thought it was fun... but I do have a few rants/suggestions about the test:

I have configured a Yahoo page so I got points for this, but this was years ago and I don't care about that stupid stuff anymore. And AOL? Puh-lease. How about points for creating a website?

No points for not installing the Google toolbar, but so what? I love Google, but who cares about the toolbar?

And not gaining ten points because I never wrote a virus?!? Huh? Give me points for programming, but apart from understanding how viruses work, why would I want to spend my time creating something that destroys? Do the greatest virus perpetrators get extra credit for spreading their crap worldwide and infecting millions of computers?

No points for me NOT including relatives' names and birthdays in my passwords. But I didn't lose points by being one of the ones who do.

No points because I don't open attachments from total strangers. But once again, I didn't lose points for being one of the goons who do.

Losing ten points because I don't have five other Weblog links on my own? How about giving me fifteen points for having a camera phone and a Moblog?

And no points because I no longer have a spare battery for my laptop? What does that have to do with a Digital IQ?

But the bottom line is, this was a fun little quiz albeit stupid, and of course, if you're really taking this seriously (Lord knows I'm not), then some fresh air might be a solution. :mrgreen:

Anthony Caruana
11-27-2003, 11:14 AM
161 - I bow down to the greater geeks among us

baker
11-27-2003, 01:04 PM
90. What's a hard reset anyway?

qmrq
11-27-2003, 01:08 PM
I got a 168. But really, Most of the questions are quite simplistic. I mean for god sake what does the Google toolbar have to do with being a geek.
Absolutely nothing. ;) I'd actually say that installing the google toolbar makes you less of a geek, that's just me though.

Oleander
11-27-2003, 01:19 PM
Tried to open the page in Konqueror, and the page failed - now hows that for being geeky.

IQ points for knowing how to use a spellchecker or making a powerpoint presentation? :roll:

It was nice scoring free points from being from Denmark and knowing who Harald Bluetooth was. :lol:

Scored 222 if i count that trojan i once wrote some 20 years ago, to tease some friends, as i virus.. :twisted:

Jereboam
11-27-2003, 02:59 PM
An even 190, I think I lost a few points for not having a blog...there were unfairly two blog-linked questions, I feel discriminated against, seeing as I have actually downloaded the Movable Type backend and am just looking for a good web host at the moment...grrr. :D

There were soooo many questions that should have been asked for a proper test. I say we come up with our own PPCT geekness test! Admins, whaddya say? With some additional PPC questions of course...

J'bm

Ed Hansberry
11-27-2003, 03:36 PM
181. Man, I'm surrounded by real geeks. :lol:

trachy
11-27-2003, 04:04 PM
90. What's a hard reset anyway?

Seriously? (http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0034.asp)

mattchapin
11-27-2003, 04:17 PM

No bluetooth (in Manhattan where I live, many payphones are 802.11b hotspots, and the GSM service sucks so I have Verizon Wireless... which doesn't offer bluetooth cell phones),

No laptop (don't travel),

Company policy prevents me from using any truly useful technologies at the office.

Excuses, excuses. I know :roll:

Matt

joelevi
11-27-2003, 05:17 PM
Wow... 209... and, altho I'm pretty geeky, I'm sure I shound't be up this high (at least when compared to all you other geeks in here!)

How about a new survey: What was your "MSNBC Geek IQ?" (steped by 10)

- Joe Levi
www.JoeLevi.com

daninnj
11-27-2003, 05:20 PM
Answering truthfully, I got a 57. :oops: I guess I'm not a geek like I thought.

Deslock
11-27-2003, 05:45 PM

Cute test. I wonder what the min and max possible scores are.

volwrath
11-27-2003, 07:45 PM
- Internet is Comcast. Can't wait for 3mbit in January.

OT What praytell are you talking about? Details, please (from another comcast subscriber)

I scored a 166, but it turned out to be a rather lame quiz. Do you IM co-workers? Gimme a break. A better question is have you sent an email from a co-workers machine telling someone else in the office that that person loves him when he foolishly leaves his computer unlocked :)

Dar
11-27-2003, 07:46 PM
I got 104 :oops: Oh well

OSUKid7
11-27-2003, 08:29 PM

But I'm a student, so I don't work, which was included in many questions.

Eciton
11-27-2003, 09:05 PM
194, and I disagreed with a couple of the questions. Nonetheless, going wireless recently definitely upped my score...

Then again, it should have been like a purity test, with 'more than once' answers. 'Do you own a PDA' and other such questions would have bumped me into the godlike category in that case ;)

Video11
11-27-2003, 11:55 PM
Hmm...115. Not sure if I'm proud or embarassed.

Fabulas
11-28-2003, 01:43 AM
135......DEAL WITH IT! :twisted:

NeilE
11-28-2003, 03:46 AM
174. The PDA and integrated device questions were pretty easy for me :P

Tom W.M.
11-28-2003, 04:45 AM
89 :oops:

Seems like a pretty lame test to me. I know that I'm way geekier than that.

Besides, what the heck does having a blog have to do with being a geek? Blogs are supposed to be something that anyone can do.

Same with the Google Toolbar. We should get points for installing it under MozillaFirebird, though. Bonus points for editing your UserChrome.css file! :wink:

Jeff Rutledge
11-28-2003, 04:49 AM
194. A little higher than I thought I'd get actually (is that good or bad???) 8)

Brad Adrian
11-28-2003, 06:13 AM
I got a 196. You know, most people who hang out in places like this Web site probably score pretty high. It's called a "community of geeks."

JohnJohn
11-28-2003, 06:31 AM
How do I get to the survey? Click where? All I see is that blue text, there? :D just kidding

143 and I'm not even a geek!

Mike Temporale
11-28-2003, 02:10 PM
Do you IM co-workers? Gimme a break. A better question is have you sent an email from a co-workers machine telling someone else in the office that that person loves him when he foolishly leaves his computer unlocked :)

All the time. :lol:

andyclap
11-28-2003, 02:26 PM
All good fun.. I got 209, but some of the answers I disagreed with. Like the virus protection metioned above, or online brokering (a geek buys gadgets, rather than investing), and no geek would ever install the google taskbar.

David Prahl
11-28-2003, 04:02 PM
:oops: 168 :oops:

It's kind of hard to "pay your bills online" when you're 18! And there should've been an option for building your computer instead of buying it online. :evil:

Pat Logsdon
11-28-2003, 05:28 PM
...there should've been an option for building your computer instead of buying it online. :evil:
I weaseled out of that one because I bought all of the PARTS for my computer online. :mrgreen:

Jason Dunn
11-28-2003, 05:45 PM
...and no geek would ever install the google taskbar.

Hey, what's with all the trash-talking of the Google Toolbar? :lol: I uninstalled AvantBrowser and MyIE2 and went back to plain IE with the Google toolbar, and I find it to be a much faster, more stable Web browsing existance. I haven't tried Firebird in many months, so perhaps I'll give it a try - I wasn't super impressed with it back then.

David Prahl
11-28-2003, 05:48 PM
I really like the latest version of the Google Toolbar. The pop-up blocker is the best I've seen - and it's free!

fyiguy
11-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Oh man... I got a 214... alot of answers IMHOP were lacking and some questions just weird... I guess I am geek chic...

I'm feeling a bit smarmy tonight. Off to set up my ReplayTV and try to get it working in Canada even though it's not supposed to (speaking of which, if anyone who works for Shaw Cable is reading this, please contact me (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/contact.php)). Grrrr - I'm a GEEK baby! :lol:

It looks like someone is setting up a wirnserver (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wirns/)...:mrgreen:

Way to go Jason!!!

The ReplayTV and using Wombler,DV Archive,RemoteCommander (http://rtvrc.sourceforge.net/) are favs of my family especially when we are on the road/out of the house-the kids can watch shows on a PPC, laptop or burned to dvd and we can program our replay to record and update on the fly through an internet connection...My kids have also managed to learn to use the quickskip buttons to watch their shows,but I set up a macro on their Wee-mote to automatically skip 2:30 min of commercials with one key press since the 1 yr old likes toss the replay remote behind the couch...

Jason which Replay did you get?

DVRs are truely revolutionary devices, and basically time machines allowing you to watch what you want and when you want. TiVo, ReplayTV, UltimateTV can all be made to do more than what they do now through a series of hardware and software hacks(which you and many who visit this site are already aware of). The new kids on the block Moxi and Ucentric look have some products that are quite promising as well.

Also the folks at Snapstream (http://www.snapstream.com/Products/Products_PVS3.asp) I think just released support for Canada in their Personal Video Station, which is the easiest way to get TV shows onto your PocketPC...

Now only if my life had a pause and quick skip button...

nice_micael
11-28-2003, 09:58 PM
151 here and bowing to my superiors.

Jeff Rutledge
11-29-2003, 02:38 AM
Do you IM co-workers? Gimme a break. A better question is have you sent an email from a co-workers machine telling someone else in the office that that person loves him when he foolishly leaves his computer unlocked :)

All the time. :lol:

That's hilarious! I fell to that one last week. My manager and National Director got an "I Love You" message from me. Too funny...

I got back though. Two of the guys in my department forgot to lock their workstations at the same time. I bounced back and forth between their desks and wrote a very suggestive conversation between the two of them...and .cc'd the entire department. :mrgreen:

Too funny...

Ed Hansberry
11-29-2003, 02:46 AM
I got back though. Two of the guys in my department forgot to lock their workstations at the same time. I bounced back and forth between their desks and wrote a very suggestive conversation between the two of them...and .cc'd the entire department.
That would get you a pink slip at my company. Just using someone else's profile will get you written up.

Jeff Rutledge
11-29-2003, 02:54 AM
I got back though. Two of the guys in my department forgot to lock their workstations at the same time. I bounced back and forth between their desks and wrote a very suggestive conversation between the two of them...and .cc'd the entire department.
That would get you a pink slip at my company. Just using someone else's profile will get you written up.

Strictly speaking it could at our company too. Fortunately our team is pretty tight right now and that lends to a fairly casual atmosphere. Plus everybody has a pretty good sense of humour, so we're lucky. 8)

karen
11-29-2003, 03:28 AM
196 ....

And I protest that I lost points for never writing a virus, not having a google toolbar and having a custom home page. AOL??? Give me a break!

Andy Sjostrom
12-01-2003, 08:24 AM
I scored 199! :?

digitalnomad
12-23-2003, 09:32 PM
215! Yeah baby!