View Full Version : Just a warning when using Activesync with the continuous syncronize option...

Guido
11-26-2003, 11:18 PM
As I was modifying a "Note" file on my desktop pc I selected all the data in the file and instead of copying it, by mistake I pasted whatever crap was in the clipboard - and it wiped out all the data! There is no undo option. As I was freaking out I pulled my PPC out of the cradle, but too late - it had already syncronized!

So now I set the syncronization mode to manual and won't have to worry about that happening again. If I screw up one of the files I just over write it with the good file.

If yours is on continuous sync - be extremely careful or always have your hand on your PPC ready to yank it out of the cradle in case something goes wrong.

kel_cheng
11-26-2003, 11:49 PM
That's a pretty cool tip indeed. Hopefully you didn't lose important information. :devilboy:

I also find that ActiveSync doesn't do a nice job on resolving conflicts. Sometimes when I make changes on the device, it just gets replaced by the copy on my laptop even though there's no conflict (e.g. I didn't change anything on the laptop copy). I used Intellisync before and their conflict resolution is much better.

Ed Hansberry
11-27-2003, 01:59 AM
As I was modifying a "Note" file on my desktop pc I selected all the data in the file and instead of copying it, by mistake I pasted whatever crap was in the clipboard - and it wiped out all the data! There is no undo option. Are you sure CTRL-Z or CTRL-Backspace doesn't work?

Jason Dunn
11-27-2003, 03:53 AM
Do you have a backup of your Outlook PST file? If not, now you have a reason to. ;-)

Ed Hansberry
11-27-2003, 03:33 PM
just got back to my desktop and tested it. CTRL-Z does undo whatever you do in Notes.

Guido
11-27-2003, 03:59 PM
I wish I had known that sooner. :(

Oh well, I'll try to remember it for next time. I'm still keeping my sync on manual though!!! :)

Jason - I don't think a backup would have worked because I created the Note file, and 1 hour later lost it. I wouldn't backup ever 1/2 hour.

But regardless, how do I backup that PSD file? Is there an automated way or do I simply copy it? Does it backup everything in outlook - mails, contacts, etc etc?

Ed Hansberry
11-27-2003, 11:28 PM
You can manually do it or get PSTBackup from MS's Office addin site, but be warned that PSTBackup caused Activesync crashes *if* you tried to sync before opening Outlook. As long as you remembered to open Outlook first, there were no problems. I don't know if that has been fixed or not.