View Full Version : Does your PPC make you SICK?

Guido
11-25-2003, 07:14 PM
I mean, literally - SICK! Sometimes when I use mine for extended periods (anything over 15 minutes) I get nauseous or even dizzy. This can last for a few hours! It's almost guaranteed to happen if I use it in the dark. Quick glances at the calendar are OK, but anything that requires concentration will do it.
I'm normally not like this - I can read in a car for hours or use my desktop PC with no problem.

Am I screwed up? Or does anyone else experience this?

Pat Logsdon
11-25-2003, 07:20 PM
It sounds like you may be having trouble with the refresh rate of your screen. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to change that. Do you feel the same way when you look at an LCD monitor?

It may also be the fonts - do you feel the same level of nausea when you try to read an ebook in Microsoft Reader?

Guido
11-25-2003, 07:37 PM
I don't know about the LCD monitor - I don't use one.
It happens especially in MS Reader and when playing chess. Basically anytime when I stare at the screen for over a few minutes at a time. If I use it in a dark room then it seems to be "floating", and that makes me want to puke.
Using it in the daylight or just checking appointements or making notes is no problem.

Come to think of it - maybe it's just me. I know I cannot play first person video games (like Doom) because running around in hallways makes me sick. But games like SimCity I can play for hours. So it must be me. :(

Jason Dunn
11-25-2003, 08:07 PM
I'm no doctor, but I suggest you go have that looked at - definitely not normal. :worried:

sixsixty
11-25-2003, 08:07 PM
i have no problems with mine. i use mine for reading ebooks all the time in various conditions. i have read my ebooks for over 2 hours at a time. i have read on the train, in daylight, in bed with no light. and no problems. also i have played games on it for hours at a time as well. the little screen doesnt seem to bother me. i have an e755 and i almost always have it on the second lowest brightness setting.

drop
11-25-2003, 09:22 PM
Just for test, reduce the brightness to see if that makes it a little easier. If it does may be you are sensitive to light. If you are , then do not use PPC in complete darkness.

Strong light could trigger migraine. Sensitive to white background (e.g. MS Reader) is also a symptom to some sufferers. But I am no doctor. Assuming your PPC is functioning correctly, then you might want to see a doctor just to be on the safe side. 15 minutes is not I would call "an extended period" on a PPC.

Guido
11-25-2003, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have the brightness on the lowest setting - to save the battery, but come to think of it, in complete darkness it's still too bright. Sometimes I have to close my eyes for a few seconds to rest them.
I think it's a combination between the brightness (in the dark) and concentrating on the screen.

I really thought others would chime up expressing the same symptoms. I guess it's time to delete the ebooks. :(

Pat Logsdon
11-25-2003, 10:15 PM
This may be an off-the-wall suggestion, but maybe you could solve the problem by changing the white of your screen to a friendlier hue (maybe yellow...?)

There was a thread several months ago (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18300) about a program called ColorMe (http://www.snoopsoft.com/other/colourme.html) from SnoopSoft that was supposed to allow users to get rid of the yellow tint of their 1945 screens by adjusting the hue associated with "white".

It should work just as well in reverse...

Guido
11-25-2003, 10:35 PM
Thank you. I just downloaded the program and will give it a try.
I think if I can adjust the brightness to a lower level then it should help.

Thanks again!

disconnected
11-25-2003, 10:48 PM
You might want to try the Peanut Press reader. I'm not sure about the free version, but in the pro version you can vary font style, font size, text color, and background color and texture.

Mark Kenepp
11-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Guido,

Do you wear glasses?

If you do when was the last time you had your prescription checked?

I used to get warn out quickly at work before I had my eyes checked. I had the same problem again a few years later when I need a new prescription.

Now, when I read on my Jornada 568, I need to remove my glasses or to avoid undue strain, which could lead to headache and dizziness if I let it go too long. It is the same when I read a book. My glasses are for things far away.

You know when I was a kid I got a slot racing game for Christmas which had glow in the dark parts. I played it for a while in the dark and felt quite nauseous :pukeface:

After the glow in the dark stuff started to loose its "glow", It didn't effect me again.

Maybe you just need to work out your tolerance.

Guido
11-26-2003, 12:15 AM
Actually, yes I do wear glasses. My prescription hasn't changed in the last 6 years, but I guess it's time for another check-up.
After giving it some thought, I think you're right. I have been feeling a little worn out lately. I thought it was because of the crappy weather, but I may be wrong. I'll get them checked this weekend if possible.

Thank you for all the great suggestions! They really helped!

PS I installed the "COLORME" software and after making some changes can't seem to get the background less white. I may have to do more digging. Otherwsie, I'll just install a tinted screen protector! ;)

Pat Logsdon
11-26-2003, 12:17 AM
Otherwsie, I'll just install a tinted screen protector! ;)
Or you could just wear sunglasses. :mrgreen: 8)

piperpilot
11-26-2003, 01:25 AM
I have had instances of nausea when using my PPC in the car when my commuting partner is driving. I always chalked it up to her erratic driving style and the heinousity of Washington, DC traffic, but now I wonder, because playing Doom always made me sick and dizzy. Hmmm . . .

Pat Logsdon
11-26-2003, 01:32 AM
I have had instances of nausea when using my PPC in the car when my commuting partner is driving. I always chalked it up to her erratic driving style and the heinousity of Washington, DC traffic, but now I wonder, because playing Doom always made me sick and dizzy. Hmmm . . .
I've always been like that in the car - I just call it "car sick". :pukeface: I can't read anything or look anywhere but outside, or focus on anything for too long. If I'm driving, I'm absolutely fine.

(Sheesh - just thinking about it now is making me nauseous... :| )

I believe the feeling is related to the inner ear and how the brain perceives motion. That could very well explain how Guido feels sick looking at his PPC - the screen is actually flashing very quickly - a kind of movement.

Fortunately, I don't feel this with my PPC, although I do get eye strain after a few hours.