View Full Version : Handango Opens UK Storefront

Jason Dunn
11-24-2003, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformHome.jsp?siteId=311&platformId=2' target='_blank'>http://www.handango.com/brainstore/...11&platformId=2</a><br /><br /></div>Handango has launched a new UK store-front, although I hope you blokes continue to use the <a href="http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformHome.jsp?siteId=311&platformId=2">Pocket PC Thoughts store</a>. ;-)<br /><br />"Handango, the leading provider of mobile downloads, announced today the availability of Handango UK, a Web storefront with content and features optimized for UK residents. The site is available today at <a href="www.handango.com/uk">www.handango.com/uk</a>. To celebrate the launch, Handango is offering a 10% discount to all shoppers at Handango UK through December 31st.<br /><br />Handango UK gives UK residents more choice for mobile phone and handheld content. With more than 50,000 software applications and more than 25,000 digital media titles including ringtones and graphics, Handango gives customers thousands of options to make their mobile phones and handhelds more fun, more useful and more personalized.<br /><!><br />The new storefront showcases relevant local applications - everything from football schedules to Tube maps - with pricing in pounds sterling. The site also supports mobile phones from Orange, O2, Vodafone and T-Mobile as well as common local purchasing methods such as IVR (interactive voice response), a 1-900 billing system, and Premium SMS.<br /><br />"We are pleased to offer UK residents a single source to find applications and digital media for their mobile phones and handhelds," said Randy Eisenman, president and chief executive officer of Handango. "The UK has long been a leading market for Handango, and this local site will deliver the features and content most requested by our loyal customers."<br /><br />The storefront is receiving strong local market support already. Pocket PC Life, PDA News 24, Talk Mobile and Pocket PC Solutions - a network of local UK sites with more than 3 million hits per month - are all affiliates of the new Handango UK and are supporting the launch through linkage and promotions on their respective sites. Other potential UK affiliates can contact [email protected] to learn more."

JonnoB
11-24-2003, 11:15 PM
Handandgo, like PocketGear are indespensible for distributing software. I am a bit hopeful however that they do something to curb the problem with people selling pirated software from their site. From what I have heard from a few authors is that Handandgo is complete unresponsive to requests to have hacked/stolen software removed from their portal.

lonesniper
11-24-2003, 11:54 PM
"optimized for UK residents"
Does that mean that if a program was $19.99 on the US site, we in "rip off Britain" will have to pay £19.99 which is about $33.71.

Colin

derosnec
11-25-2003, 12:26 AM
From what I can see the prices are almost identical to the US versions (a fraction on the high side for some software).

dannyoneill
11-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Similar prices after conversion but still cheaper for me to buy from the US store.

ALL HAIL RIP-OFF BRITAIN

FFS. Why does this country stink so much on prices. I want a new cell phone. Do I pay £234 or $199 and get more. Hmmm, lemme think.

mpattman
11-25-2003, 09:55 AM
I am a bit hopeful however that they do something to curb the problem with people selling pirated software from their site. From what I have heard from a few authors is that Handandgo is complete unresponsive to requests to have hacked/stolen software removed from their portal.

As one of the authors that had their software "hacked/stolen", I thought that I pick up on this point that JonnoB made. Handango once you get talking to the right people move quite quickly on this issue. The offending software was frozen on their site so that no one could buy it. Then an investigation started into the two products to verify who is at fault and then finally (the bit I am still waiting for....) the victims who purchased the "hacked/stolen" software get a full refund.

Back to the original topic, I wonder, now that Handango have a UK store front, will UK developers be able to be paid in Pounds from UK funds......

It does look like the prices are fair, a product on the Global site for $5 is £3.15 on the UK site.

Mattb90
11-25-2003, 10:24 AM
According to XE.com the current $USD to £GBP exchange rate is about £0.59 (or 59p), so something priced at $9.99 like Snails or Anthelion is going to be around £5.90 not the £6.27 Handango are selling it for. I'd rather buy from the Internation store and take my chances with the VISA exchange rate (especiallly with higher priced goods). The current 10% off offer (which would bring the price of the aforementioned games to £5.64) is tempting however.

Added note: they say they support all those payment options - but on the site I only see the usual Visa/American Express/Discover(?)/MasterCard. I can't find the other payment options, and wonder why they haven't included more important "local payment methods", such as the Debit cards Visa Electron, and more importantly, Switch & Solo.

iant54
11-25-2003, 12:22 PM
I'm with Mattb90 on the payment options. What is the ****** point in opening a "UK" store, if all that is different from the normal store is that the prices are shown in local currency.

I'll start shopping there when there are local payment options too, such as debit cards, cheques, etc.

ChristopherTD
11-25-2003, 01:21 PM
I will resume buying from Handango when they answer my queries. I have been trying for over 3 weeks to get a human to respond to a refund request that didn't work.

Also when they allow negative reviews to appear instead of censoring them.

DavidHorn
11-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Blokes? Blokes?!. You insult my honour, Sir! Don't forget that Canada is still British... so if need be I'll have you taken to the tower and then off with your head. ;)

mr_Ray
11-25-2003, 09:03 PM
Cool, finally I get to use Handango in my native currency, and get to pay a ~10% price premiun for the priveledge. Excellent!

Funny how it's cheaper to buy from (theoretically) the other side of the wolrd than it is to get the exact same thing from the exact same supplier locally. My joy is totally unrestrained. :D

However, as was suggested above, at least I might stand a chance of getting payment in £ once I get around to releasing some software. Until then, I'm of to take advantage of that PI discount - in the US store.

PocketPCGirl
11-28-2003, 06:39 PM
My name is Heather Arrington and I am the Manager of Microsoft Platforms at Handango. I hate to hear that you are having trouble getting a hold of a real person. Kerry Baker ([email protected]) is the main point of contact for all Pocket PC developers. She is the best person to contact regarding piracy or any other matter Pocket PC matter. If urgent assistance is needed, you can also email me I will be happy to either take care of the issue myself or find someone on my team to respond. My direct email is [email protected].

Handango is continuing to make big strides in the fight against piracy. J Kuper is a new addition to the Handango team and he is driving our efforts against piracy and copyright infringement. You are also welcome to email him at [email protected]

GreenBoy2
11-30-2003, 01:40 PM
I got my email from Handango - telling me all about the new UK website (and I have to say that the prices look on a par with the global store give exchange rates - but saving credit card commisions on exchange?) but the thing I didnt get was a password for claiming the 10% discount - and if you are in the market for software then any offer is good news.

Did any other UK user get a password to get their 10% ?

let me know - Ive emailed Handango - but no joy yet.

Many thanks

GreenBoy

GreenBoy2
11-30-2003, 02:00 PM
DOH ! :frusty:

Sorry - its on their web site - so every one gets 10% !!!

GreenBoy :oops:

ChristopherTD
12-02-2003, 11:47 PM
An update to my Handango situation, which has now been resolved satisfactorily entirely as a result of this thread.

I am pleased about this!

Thanks to Heather for leaping in.

iant54
12-03-2003, 10:00 AM
To my post to them through their customer services:

Payment methods on UK Global Site
What is the point in setting-up a UK site, when the only difference is that the prices are in GBP? Will you, in the future, be accepting local forms of payment - i.e. debit cards (e.g. Switch) and UK cheques?

I have received the following reply:

Yes we are currently in the process of building new ways of purchasing on our sites. We appreciate your patience in the meantime. If you would still like to purchas
> our sales team is very good about working with our customers. You can
email them at [email protected]. If you ahve any more questions please let me know.

Looking forward to it!