View Full Version : VPN Help

docnelson
11-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Ok, I am new to this PocketPc,
I have a Toshiba e755 everthing works great wireless sync and all.
what i wouldl ike to do is to sync remote over vpn.
My current network setup has DSL - Linksys BEFVP41 router - wireless AP

couple of questions.
I currentley use a laptop and can vpn into my network remoteley using the linksys vpn router

i have read other posts about the VPN in XP but is it possible to VPN into network via linksys router? and then activesync?
Has Anyone done this with a hardware VPN instead of the XP software VPN?

If So please help with your setup.
Thanks

Wiggin
11-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Welcome to the PPC realm Doc!

As for your question about AS via VPN, I struggled with this very same issue for a few days, and then broke down and got HP Tech Support on the phone to see if we could unravel the VPN challenge (I'm using an iPaq). After a few hours with multiple techs, the conclusion was that a Corp VPN will not allow a PPC to sync via Activesync 3.X over a wireless connection... period.

In concept, the restriction makes sense. A corp VPN, once established, is not going to allow an unconnected device (a wireless PPC for example) to break into the VPN... that's the purpose of the VPN wall to begin with. A PPC that is connected to the PC (via craddle or sync wire) is just a physical extension of the PC, and the VPN has no problem allowing the PPC to sync... in essence, you are "inside" the VPN wall.

Who knows, perhaps MS will update AS in a future release and support the idea of a wireless PPC being able to provide the VPN login info to then allow a wireless sync. For now, you'll have to choose... wireless sync AFTER you disconnect from the VPN, or wire sync WHILE connected to the VPN. :roll:

Best o' luck...and be sure to post a solution if you figure out a way to punch through the Corp VPN wall... I'm sure that many here will be interested.
:way to go:

bdegroodt
11-26-2003, 02:53 AM
Hmmm...OK. What about the VPN settings "thing" in WM 2003?