View Full Version : If money was not a factor, which iPAQ would you buy?

Constant Caffeine
11-24-2003, 08:24 PM
The company I work for is going to buy me a PDA. :D Fortunately I get to pick which one I want. I decided on the iPAQ line because of the functions they offer in a PPC. I have been really indecisive on the model because I would like to have the 128MB memory from the h5555, the CF slot from the h2215 all built into the h4155. Only HP engineers, and a select few, know if they are going to be releasing anything like that in the near future. I do have a need for the wireless function at work. With that in mind, I’m looking at the either the h4155 or the h5555. In addition, HP offers an extended 3-year warranty for $159.99. Does anyone think the extended warranty is necessary? By them offering this, it makes me think that they expect the device to fail sooner than later. My Joranda has held up this long, but who is to say about these smaller, more compact devices.

Does anyone have any comments on which one would be the better choice and why?

I asked a similar question about six weeks ago and Anthony Caruana was the only who replied and I appreciate that. I would like to get others views and experiences especially now that the h4155 is available.

Thank you.

Janak Parekh
11-24-2003, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't personally get either of the devices you stated -- I'd probably get a 4350, because I want the integrated keyboard and larger battery. ;)

That unit aside, I'm competely torn between the 4150 and 5550. I like the expandability of the 5550 (I already have sleeves) and 128MB, but I've held a 1910, and that form factor (which it shares with the 4150) is simply amazing. So I won't be of help, I suspect. ;)

--janak

Chris Spera
11-25-2003, 12:21 AM
Janak makes a good point... I've got a 5455 that was upgraded via PPC Techs to 128MB of RAM and I have a 1945 with a SanDisk SD W-Fi card (so I have a 4155, sort of... just go with me here...)

One of the things that I've noticed about my use with each of these devices has been that 128MB of RAM is a must for me. I am an all in one kinda guy. If I wasn't, I'd probably be carrying 3-4 different devices because this one does this, the other one does this better than the other and the third does something that the other 2 don't do at all... Honestly, if I didn't have a PC Card Hard Drive and PC Card Sleeve as well as a couple really nice iPAQ specific leather cases, I'd probably ditch my 5455 and new LG VX6000 cell phone for a Samsung i700 PPC Phone. Like I said, all in one, though the i700 doesn't have BlueTooth or WLAN built in...

If you're heart is set on an iPAQ, then let me offer this, as I've owned every series iPAQ (except the new 4000 series models):

The 5500 series is a good device, but big. If you have need of Consumer IR, this is a good choice. Its got both WLAN and BT built in as well.

The 4100 series is a good device. It has everything that the 5500 offers except 128MB RAM and Consumer IR (I think...) Its small, very portable, and VERY comfortable to use (the 1945 shares the same form factor...)

The 4300 is ok; but just as large as the 5500 and the keyboard is a different color than the rest of the device, something I REALLY don't like. If you're a Blackberry convert, this is going to be a great device for you. I personally don't want a keyboard permanently attached to my Pocket PC.

So... either the 4100 or the 5500 is a good choice, since they are essentially the same device (except for 2 specific features found in the 5500). However, you should know that its only a matter of time before Leonard from Pocket PC Techs (http://www.ppctechs.com) comes out with a memory upgrade for the 4100. All of my devices have been upgraded by him, and they are really good at what they do. Upgrading the device later may be an option for you...

However, if you do that, and you have purchased the extended warranty, having the upgrade installed with void the warranty...

And about that, I don't know that I would go with the extended warranty. I've never had a device crap out on me, that wasn't my fault... check out this (http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=articles&id=30) and this (http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=articles&id=31) on pocketnow.com... Its funny but not. Again, thanks go out to Leonard at PPC Techs for saming my @ss.

I hope all of the rambling helps. Let us know if you have any other questions. We'll be happy to help out!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

disconnected
11-25-2003, 05:29 AM
I've got the 5555, and have considered the 4155, but although I might be willing to give up the extra memory, I think I'd have trouble adjusting to the smaller screen.

Janak Parekh
11-25-2003, 07:16 AM
I think I'd have trouble adjusting to the smaller screen.
I thought I would too at first when I retired the daily use of my 3870. However, I've adapted to a 3.5" screen on my i700 without too many problems. Of course, YMMV.

--janak

dh
11-25-2003, 10:59 AM
Only one Ipaq would meet my requirements. l would get a 5550 with the Silver Slider CF and battery sleeve. I would not buy any other Ipaq because each one misses one or more of the features I want.

Other possibilities would be the Toshiba e 805 and the Loox 610.

tanalasta
11-25-2003, 12:02 PM
For me, it would come down to size... I like small devices i can fit into a pocket so would pick the ipaq 4xxx series. I don't like integrated keyboards because i find using the stylus faster and if i need to do large amounts of data entry, i do it on a PC. Basically comes down to personal preference ;) They're all good devices

As for extended warranty: does it cover accidental breakage? IPAQ's are usually fairly reliable and the price you're quoting is a bit pricey though... so third party insurance might be better...

aroma
11-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Does anyone think the extended warranty is necessary? By them offering this, it makes me think that they expect the device to fail sooner than later.

Not so. If they expected them to fail with three year period, they wouldn't be making any money on the extedned warranty. They make their money by you paying for the warranty and the device outlasting the warranty. It's really a win-win for them... if the device lasts, they get your money and your happy because the device didn't break. If it does break, then your happy because it was fixed and they still get a satisfied customer.

That being said, personally, I never purchase extended warranties (except on automobiles), and I've never had need of one.

As far as recomendations go, I own a 5450 (same form factor as the 5550). If I had it to do over, I would go with the 4150. This form factor ROCKS. Unless you already own sleaves (for the 5550 device), then I would go for the smaller device.

- Aaron

aroma
11-25-2003, 01:59 PM
The 5500 series is a good device, but big. If you have need of Consumer IR, this is a good choice.

Someone correct me if I wrong, but I believe since HP considered the 5550 a "business" device, they removed the consumer grade IR support that was available in the 5400 series devices.

- Aaron

WyattEarp
11-25-2003, 05:21 PM
The 5500 series is a good device, but big. If you have need of Consumer IR, this is a good choice.

Someone correct me if I wrong, but I believe since HP considered the 5550 a "business" device, they removed the consumer grade IR support that was available in the 5400 series devices.

- Aaron

Your correct, the 5500 does not have CIR, which is the only thing I think would make it a killer device.

eustts
11-25-2003, 05:37 PM
My first PPC was a 5455. I have recently upgraded to the 5555. I cannot live wth out the 128MB of RAM. It makes a big difference. I always seemed to be aware of what I had on my 64MB 5455, but now I pay little attention to the memory now that I have my 5555.

At this point in my Ipaq career, I am going to wait for higher screen resolution(VGA), and a least 128MB of memory.

If I had to purchase one right now, It would be the 4155.

:mrgreen:

Chris Spera
11-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Your correct, the 5500 does not have CIR, which is the only thing I think would make it a killer device.

Yep... my bad. What I meant to say was that if you have need of Consumer IR, you may need a different device...

Wow. big brain fart...