View Full Version : MS Money PPC 2004 - mildly annoying US-centricity & alternatives

Jereboam
11-24-2003, 01:15 AM
From the UK website of Money -

Notes:

The version of Money for the Pocket PC that you download is an English version, not a British version and is therefore suitable for most English speaking countries. As a result, the dates are in US format and $ symbols will be shown instead of £ symbols – this will not cause problems with synchronisation.

Now...I'm no programmer but I can't think that adding international currency support and picking up the date format from the Pocket PC itself or making it user-selectable would take more than minutes, maybe hours, at most.

This is now (as far as I can remember) the fourth generation of Money on the PPC - and this is still left out of the feature set? I, personally, as the title says, am mildly annoyed with this.

Even for US users, I would think that many of you are travellers (hence a Pocket PC) and would welcome international currency support for your trips...

I think this is a serious omission on Microsoft's part. Once again to get pretty basic functionality I am prompted to look at third party applications.

Hence, any suggestions for alternatives that are worth looking at?

J'bm

PR.
11-24-2003, 02:29 AM
Heh, its not just limited to PPC Money, MS gave you the regional options then ignores it in most of their software...

As a system admin its always fun to have Win2k installed as English(U.K) then only to watch Office2k default install as English(U.S).

sublime
11-24-2003, 02:38 AM
Mastersoft Money

The program is great. I'm their #1 fan.

pablake
11-24-2003, 10:58 AM
If you are looking for full Money synchronisation Inesoft's Cash Organizer is the way to go. And it is perfectly happy with UK version of Money.

The program isn't cheap but it is very feature rich - in fact I find that many of the tasks I used to carry out using Money on my PC (inputing scheduled transactions, reconciling accounts, running reports etc) I tend now to do in Cash Organizer. I'm really only using the Money synchronisation part as a way of backing up data (although Cash Organizer has its own backup component)....

Paul

senfeng
11-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Personally, I would rather use Excel than Microsoft's Money PPC... but I'm with sublime. I'm a big fan of Mastersoft's version. After using it for a week I abondoned my desktop MS Money. I've used Cash Organizer as well. Though I don't like it as much as Mastersoft Money, its a good app.

I'd highly recommend switching to one of these.