View Full Version : How often does your 2215 need to be reset?

mesposito2
11-23-2003, 09:33 PM
I'm interested in how often other 2215 users need to reset their machine. I'm finding that it's at least once a day, and often many more times. I've got a lot of patience with handheld technology, having written software for them for years, but I have to admit I'm getting tired.

Mark

mattchapin
11-24-2003, 04:02 AM
I actually don't have an Ipaq, but rather a Toshiba E755. I had a 2215 for a couple of weeks though, and I found except for #3 below, my resetting habits changed little after the "upgrade."

I reset:

1. Before synchronizing with my PC -- files on the PPC in "My Documents" that are in use by an application won't synchronize and sometimes Vindigo has problems synchronizing if I don't reset first.

2. Before watching recorded TV shows (WMV format, in media player) -- Media player sometimes gets the "jitters" if I have something running in the background. I tried using OmegaOne Battery Pack 5.1 but found that it caused as many problems as it solved, especially in the video playback jitters department.

3. Before attempting to connect to an 802.11b network, unless it's the first time I've turned on the 802.11b hardware since resetting because of #1 or #2 above. I've found that if I don't reset at some time between wireless networking sessions, it'll have more trouble connecting. This could just be superstitious behavior on my part though.

4. Whenever the unit is performing sluggishly -- this accounts for one or two additional resets a week.

I remember when I was using Windows 98 (ok, it was only a year ago) and my computer would start acting funny if I left it on for more than several hours at a stretch without a reboot. Ditto with the PocketPC.

Matt

jbtaylor
11-24-2003, 05:32 AM
I have a 2215 and for a few days it required a soft reset several times a day. I finally linked the problem to Battery Pack. This software has the option of making the X close the current app instead of the Windows hide. Everytime I would close iSilo with the X it would require a soft reset.

Once I figured this out and turned off the X closes apps option, I almost never have to soft reset. I am one of those guys that believes that all Microsoft OSs need a daily reboot including Pocket PC so I don't mind soft reseting. I do mind being required to soft reset due to lock ups.

If you use Battery Pack or any other software that forcefully closes apps, you might turn it off to see if that helps. Good luck!

Godsongz
11-24-2003, 06:06 AM
Mine is set to automatically reset once a day after my backup runs at 3:00am. I very rarely need to do it manually anymore.

lonesniper
11-25-2003, 12:08 AM
I have to reset mine after I have the speaker on mute and then try and unmute it. The volume control window normally freezes and won't go away, also the sound is not unmuted.
Annoying because normally have paused a movie while on the way to work and mute the unit while at work.

Colin

gtmtnbiker98
11-26-2003, 02:49 PM
I must confess here that I have had an enjoyable visit to the Pocket PC World, thus far. After a long stay in Palm OS World, my H2215 is every bit as reliable and stable as any Palm that I've owned. As a matter of fact, the H2215 is more reliable than my former Tungsten|C ever thought of being.

rpommier
11-26-2003, 04:00 PM
Wow! Thanks, for the perspective... I think the Pocket PC OS requires way to many soft resets. I was under the impression that Palm was more stable...