View Full Version : Toshiba 2032 - Overall Pleased

orbilius
11-23-2003, 02:20 AM
Yesterday I picked up a Toshiba 2032 to replace my Dell Axim (I ran it over with my car!). Overall, I am pleased. Battery life could be better and it is a little slower than I am used to. I havent seen much discussion on this devise. If anyone here has one, bad or good, I would love to hear what you have done to make yours better. Software? Case? etc. Many thanks,

Austin

Janak Parekh
11-23-2003, 03:13 AM
I don't mean to be negative, but I wasn't very impressed with the 2032/Thera, especially the reports of poor battery life. Pair that with a reflective display and only 32MB of RAM and it's only really useful as a connected Pocket PC, and not a phone. The i700 and G1000 are nicer units, although the i700 isn't available through Sprint and the G1000 is big/expensive. :|

In any case, 2032 owners are few and far between. It's pretty much a niche device, since it's not an official "Pocket PC Phone" (instead, it has special Sierra Wireless software).

--janak

inteller
11-24-2003, 07:33 PM
yeah there were some 2032s out there with bad batteries....but I got mine replaced and the new one has decent battery life. Before you get negative on the device, think about what options us Sprint users have.....2032 or G1000. Sorry but carrying the 2032 is big enough...I don't want that brick of a G1000. The 2032 is a great phone/PPC if you are on the go. I can talk to ppl on speakerphone while using my device for other things. Not bad if you ask me.

Janak Parekh
11-24-2003, 11:16 PM
yeah there were some 2032s out there with bad batteries....but I got mine replaced and the new one has decent battery life.
Well, it depends on how you use it. It's rated for 8 hours of standby. That's not enough for me...

Before you get negative on the device, think about what options us Sprint users have.....2032 or G1000. Sorry but carrying the 2032 is big enough...I don't want that brick of a G1000.
I understand. :| The problem is that I'm now carrying an i700 on Verizon, and I suspect that would be perfect (multi-day standby time, hours talk time, nicer display, more RAM, real Phone Edition), but Sprint has seen fit not to sell it. :evil:

--janak

orbilius
11-24-2003, 11:44 PM
I know that the 2032 isnt the best devise. I loved my Axim, and this is an inferior unit to it. I do, however, prefer the reflective screen on this unit for one simple reason. It is easier to see outside and in high light conditions than the higher quality transflective screens that I have had in the past.

The battery life does suck if you are not careful, but with the cradle at home, and a charger in my car and office (I play internet radio in the car) I get by just fine. I got a AA powered charger off ebay for emergencies. I will have to wait till it gets here to see how it does.

For what I need it for, Outlook email, contact management, and occasional web browsing, this unit has more than enough power. I am stuck with sprint for awhile (5 line company plan), so this was my only affordable option.

Anyone know if this will take Windows Mobile 2003, or how to get the upgrade? Thanks!

Janak Parekh
11-24-2003, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback, orbilius. :) The reflective screen is indeed good for outside use...

Anyone know if this will take Windows Mobile 2003, or how to get the upgrade? Thanks!
You'd have to ask Audiovox/Toshiba. I don't think so, however. :(

--janak

orbilius
11-25-2003, 10:59 PM
From what I can tell, it is capable of the upgrade, but none if provided. Damn!