View Full Version : pocketnow.com Reviews the i-mate Phone Edition 2003

Jason Dunn
11-21-2003, 05:08 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=297' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?...=reviews&id=297</a><br /><br /></div>"The new Windows Mobile 2003 Phone Edition device from High Tech Computer is the most advanced Pocket PC available at this time. It's re-branded by other mobile phone service providers and as such may also be known as the O2 XDA II, T-Mobile MDA II, Q-Tek 2020, or i-mate Pocket PC Phone Edition 2003. It's the first Phone Edition 2003 device to hit the market, and it's also the first Pocket PC with a built in Phone and Bluetooth that can use a Bluetooth headset. I've been using it with a Nextlink Bluespoon Chameleon and it has been absolutely excellent. The built-in camera is an added bonus..."

yawanag
11-21-2003, 05:56 PM
:soapbox: Jason, I'm just GREEN with envy. You failed to mention the price. In my browsing, I found one listed for 329.99 pounds. Isn't that like $526 in US Dollars?

Jason Dunn
11-21-2003, 06:21 PM
:soapbox: Jason, I'm just GREEN with envy. You failed to mention the price. In my browsing, I found one listed for 329.99 pounds. Isn't that like $526 in US Dollars?

$526 is very cheap for this product, which makes me think that's with a mobile carrier contract. This is a more realistic price:

http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=290&inv_id=31112230446767&modid=30214092059015&aid=5

Gen-M
11-21-2003, 07:34 PM
"The built-in camera is an added bonus..."

It's not a bonus for those of us whose job will not allow a camera in the workplace. I'd be tempted if it were not for this.
:cry:

Jason Dunn
11-21-2003, 07:38 PM
It's not a bonus for those of us whose job will not allow a camera in the workplace. I'd be tempted if it were not for this.

Indeed! I predict that in 2004 this will become a serious problem, and we'll start to see two models - one with a camera, and one without, for almost every major PDA/phone.

yawanag
11-21-2003, 07:44 PM

That's something to think about. I'd be using a lot of my sick days :mrgreen:

Jason, did you get a Vaja case, too? That would be having a little bit of heaven here on earth.

Gen-M
11-21-2003, 07:45 PM
The irony is that people in R&D or Advanced Development are most apt to be early adopters, and are the ones who are most sensitive to cameras in the workplace. (In addition to defense installations)

Vendors are making devices that early adopters cannot adopt!

Jason Dunn
11-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Jason, did you get a Vaja case, too? That would be having a little bit of heaven here on earth.

I don't actually have the XDA II or a Vaja case for it. ;-) That review is done by pocketnow.com, not by us... :wink:

dh
11-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Indeed! I predict that in 2004 this will become a serious problem, and we'll start to see two models - one with a camera, and one without, for almost every major PDA/phone.
It seems that the phone makers and carriers are just starting to get wise to this, wonder what took them so long? pa1mOne are supposed to be coming out with a Treo 600 without the camera before long and they seem to be a step ahead of everyone else.

At the moment it's hard to get a decent phone that doesn't have a camera. Seems the cellular companies decided to really go for the kids market, forgetting that the business market is where the best margins are.

A phone or PDA with a camera is the last thing I need, what good is either one if you have to leave it with the security guy everytime you visit a customer?

mashtim
11-21-2003, 08:48 PM
The article did bring up one point that I hadn't seen anywhere else which I would like clarified: the issue of not being able to connect to a GPS via Bluetooth. Has anyone else experienced this? Would anyone like to clarify?

Even with the camera (which, IMHO, is pretty much useless unless you have a specific use for it or only send the pics to a cell/smart-phone -- clarity and whatnot, but that's an issue for another thread), this was looking to be my dream PPC. Built-in phone and Bluetooth radios with SDIO to let me use WiFi? No-Brainer! However, if I cannot use my BT GPS, this is a deal-breaker for me!

Guess I'll end up waiting for the iPAQ 6000 series, if it ever comes to fruition. Besides, HP has, by far, the best implementation of BT software that I have seen yet!

surur
11-21-2003, 09:03 PM
Yes, this bluetooth gps thing is now a well-known bug, or possibly feature, as I think the reason the bluetooth profile is so bare (no file transfer, no serial, no network etc) was to make the bluetooth headset work simply and flawlessly. An example where the profiles interfere is that if you bluetooth activesync the bluetooth headset does not work.

So in essence, its not a bug, its a feature :(

Here's hoping some-one finds a work-around soon.

Surur

Iznot Gold
11-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Wow.....I had a brief play with the XDA II today at my local O2 store. Have to say the planned move to a Z600 + my IPAQ are definately on hold. I'll be spending the weekend trying to persuade myself not to buy one! Maybe for christmas if I can wait that long!

David

adamz
11-21-2003, 10:30 PM
Yes, this bluetooth gps thing is now a well-known bug, or possibly feature, as I think the reason the bluetooth profile is so bare (no file transfer, no serial, no network etc) was to make the bluetooth headset work simply and flawlessly. An example where the profiles interfere is that if you bluetooth activesync the bluetooth headset does not work.

I hear that the Bluetooth GPS issue is in the process of being fixed with a software update.
And there is sort-of File transfer capabilities, but it's not like the iPAQs. From File Explorer you tap&hold then do "Beam File..." this dialog (normally used for infrared) will detect bluetooth devices and you can send the file to them. You CANNOT however, send a file from a desktop computer to the XDA 2. So there is a bit limited file transfer, but it's nothing like what we're used to.
The XDA 2's only incoming profile found when browsing it is "SSA" which is used for Dialup Networking.

As for Bluetooth ActiveSync and Bluetooth headset not working at the same time, it seems that this was due to the memory issue! If you have enough memory available, you CAN make multiple Bluetooth connections!

So... the only major problem left is the older core memory settings in Pocket PC Phone Edition 2003 which don't allow more than about 22Mb used program memory... and the Bluetooth GPS usage problem. It will bond to Bluetooth GPS devices, but the GPS software can't communicate properly with the GPS device.

After a software upgrade or two, I think this device will be really great.

As for the camera... It's nice to have if security allows it, but I would rather see a version without it as well. Maybe WiFi instead? :)