View Full Version : Accented chars with foldable keyboards

WeeTee
11-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Hi!

Does anybody know about the accented character abilities of the Targus Universal IR keyboard and the HP foldable keyboard? I'm thinking of buying one of them (preferably the Targus one, its 20€ cheaper), but since I'm Finnish, and our language uses lots of ä's and ö's, I'd like to be able to type them on the keyboard as well. And I'd probably write some Spanish too..

hamishmacdonald
11-20-2003, 02:27 PM
I use the Stowaway XT, and I know it supports a lot more characters than its predecessor. I can't answer your question off-hand, but you can find out all the characters that the XT supports from the product's user guide:

www.thinkoutside.com/userguides/XT%20iPAQ%20User%20Guide.pdf (http://www.thinkoutside.com/userguides/XT%20iPAQ%20User%20Guide.pdf)

rhmorrison
11-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Does anybody know about the accented character abilities of the Targus Universal IR keyboard
The manual (http://www.targus.com/us/Downloads/PA870U_UG.pdf) tells you everything you need to know about the Targus Universal IR keyboard specifically:

Adding Diacritical Marks
To add diacritical marks:
Locate the key combination for the mark you want to use.
Press and hold either the Fn key or the Shift+Fn keys.
Press the character listed in the table.
Release the keys and type the letter you want to accent. For uppercase accents, press Shift and the letter you want to accent.
For example, to type the umlaut ö in Köln, use the key
combination Fn and ; (semi colon) then “o.”
Depending on the type of diacritical mark you want to use, you
can accent the upper or lowercase letters A, E, I, O, U, Y and N.

For your accent ' you will need to press the Fn key and the ' key...

jlp
11-20-2003, 11:50 PM
Very good Bob. What about ç and Ç that are used in French and Portugese?! There are quite a few words that use it.

WeeTee
11-21-2003, 05:14 PM
I took a look at the manual yesterday. Seems quite nice.. The Ç and ç can be typed with a single combination. A pity that the ones I need require one combination press plus one single keypress.. :? But, I think I'll manage.

I'll probably buy it, then (the Targus Universal IR keyboard, that is). Does anyone have any other comments about the keyboard?