View Full Version : Lost a File From Your Synchronized File Folder? Check the Backup...

Jason Dunn
11-19-2003, 11:53 PM
If you've ever lost the files in your Pocket PC Synchronized file folder (typically Pocket_PC My Documents if you haven't changed the name of your device), and you don't have a backup, fear not: there's a way you just might get them back. Here's how...<!><br /><br />1. On your desktop PC, open up My Computer, then under the Tools menu, select Folder Options and switch to the View tab<br /><br />2. Ensure that the radio button for Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected. Click OK<br /><br />3. Browse through the following series of folders C: drive > Documents and Settings > username folder > Application Data > Microsoft > ActiveSync > Profiles > Pocket_PC (or whatever the device is called) > Synchronized Files Backup<br /><br />4. Copy your file(s) from that folder into a safe place, connect your Pocket PC, then drop the files back into the synchronized file folder<br /><br />If you're file isn't here, then it's really gone and you'd better hope you <a href="http://www.handybackup.com">have a recent backup</a>. ;-)

Ed Hansberry
11-20-2003, 12:16 AM
THis has saved me a few times. The first place I look is in the recycle bin. If you have that enabled on your desktop, deleting a file from your device syncs the deletion event to the desktop which puts it in the recycle bin. Sometimes the folder Jason mentions is a good place to get an older version of a file too. I've messed things up beyond usefulness and rather than going to the tape drive backup, I can pull it out of AS's folder backup. :D

pepemosca
11-20-2003, 02:14 AM
Thanks! Great tip!

I never had any problem... but we must be prepared. Thanks :)

sponge
11-20-2003, 03:30 AM
One thing I never got about this, how do you know what it's going to back up?

ctmagnus
11-20-2003, 04:02 AM
I use fbbackup (can't remember the url right now) to manually backup the My Documents folder and a few others on a regular basis. It takes a few clicks and ~15-20 sec each time but the peace of mind is worth it.