View Full Version : A Humorous XDA II Review

Janak Parekh
11-19-2003, 06:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3278053.stm' target='_blank'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3278053.stm</a><br /><br /></div>"If you think big is beautiful then O2's newest mobile device - the XDA II - packs a heavyweight punch. It's sturdy and it won't go missing in your pocket But if you reckon the best things come in small parcels this leviathan PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) looks about as stylish as a donkey jacket."<br /><br />A scary opening, isn't it? 8O But the author goes on to point out that if you need the features, and don't mind the idea of holding a Pocket PC to your ear, the XDA II is a very good choice. His kids don't like it though... :lol: I wonder -- how many of you like his offbeat reviewing style?<br /><br />"This is for grown-ups. Grown-ups who appreciate big-screen entertainment, solid form and sturdy build, where function matters more than looks and where the convention for ever smaller devices is disdainfully ignored. Well done designers. I spit on those dinky little smart phones where pudgy fingers struggle to cope with undersized keys, where the phone rings and an all-pocket search is required to find it. Imagine trying to read War and Peace through a letterbox and you realise how risible the small screen challengers are. "

Jon Westfall
11-19-2003, 06:08 AM
Is it just me or is the link missing from the title? Its black, not light blue, and goes nowhere. Am I going mad?

I'd love to read this review, as I agree with it so far...

Janak Parekh
11-19-2003, 06:16 AM
:oops: Sorry. Fixed now. I think it's about time I get some sleep... ;)

--janak

SandersP
11-19-2003, 06:56 AM
I love that review beside humorous, it essentially capture the problem with this super phone. What are we going to use all those computing power for?

The allied force won the World war II with a computer less powerfull than that. But then again, Playing NES emulator on your phone sure as hell is more fun than breaking german cryptography. :lol:

BTW.
It seems XDAII is really getting a good press. people actually like it. yikes... haven't they realize it's $850 unlock, scarry. the bubble must be back in europe and Asia already.
http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news001_20031119.html

Iznot Gold
11-19-2003, 09:01 AM
I've been considering changing my T68 & Ipaq 3870 for a Z600 & HP4XXX. My current service provider is going to charge me £100+ for the Z600 & £400 for HP or I could get the XDA II for £350 with contract. So it is tempting but I want to see one in the flesh before making any decisions.
Regards
David

arebelspy
11-19-2003, 09:43 AM
My i-Mate (same as XDA II) should arrive here in California tomorrow. I can't wait. :)

As for the review: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Let's just make a few comments about what's in the quotes on the main page of Thoughts, even before I've read the article:
"the convention for ever smaller devices is disdainfully ignored."
Sure. It's smaller (dimension-wise) than the iPAQ 5000 series (even if you don't count the antenna on the iPAQ - which the XDA II has none, making it look very sleek, and a lot sexier than the orginal XDA). It is also lighter than either the original XDA, or the iPAQ 5000 series.

As for Janak's comment about you have to not "mind the idea of holding a Pocket PC to your ear": This is true. However, it does support a bluetooth headset for calls. As other users have commented (and what I plan on doing) is that you don't even have to take the phone out of your pocket to answer the call - let alone hold the XDA II up to your ear.

The XDA II is a great device. 128 MB RAM, 64 MB ROM, Bluetooth, IR, removable battery, always on tri-band GPRS, SDIO slot, integrated camera, etc. etc.

I'll be the first to admit there are some flaws (the bluetooth profiles on there are rather lacking - has no serial, so can't do GPS right now...lots of other misc. bugs as well), but none-the-less it's a great device.

Its biggest flaw is the price. It is expensive, to be sure. But for $20 unlimited, always on GPRS from T-Mobile, I'm willing to pay a lot for a converged device. I love always having the 'net on me. :)

-arebelspy

arebelspy
11-19-2003, 09:49 AM
He says in the article that you get "double the memory" and in his little "XDA II Features" on the side it says "128MB RAM memory (up from 64MB)." I donno what XDA he had, but it musta been upgraded. You actually get four times the memory, up from 32 MB. Let me tell you, trying to fit all the installs you want on 32MB + an SD card is a pain. The 128 MB (especially on a phone edition) is awesome.

-arebelspy

MaximumPDA
11-19-2003, 10:02 AM
You could do GPS via bluetooth here is a review: Routing the Competition... a review of Pharos' iGPS-BT and Ostia 6.0.2.51 (http://sponsors.thoughtsmedia.com/phpads2/adclick.php?bannerid=41&zoneid=1&source=&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pocketpcthoughts.com%2Farticles.php%3Faction%3Dexpand%2C19817) and here Pharos Pocket GPS Navigator with Bluetooth
(http://www.pdatoday.com/maximumpda_more.php?id=738_0_2_0_C)
I ordered mine from Expansys.us and it should be in soon I hope, the wait is killing me. I was playing with one at the Mobile 2003 User Group Tour today and it really rocks. Awesome screen, smart design touches.

Bill Landon

tach911
11-19-2003, 11:03 AM
Please note that Bluetooth GPS Receivers aren't supported yet by the O2 Xda II/I-mate/Qtek 2020. This is due to the fact that HTC did not use the Widcomm drivers but Microsoft's own BT drivers.

More information is available on: http://www.ppcw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=589

jlp
11-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Please note that Bluetooth GPS Receivers aren't supported yet by the O2 Xda II/I-mate/Qtek 2020. This is due to the fact that HTC did not use the Widcomm drivers but Microsoft's own BT drivers.

More information is available on: http://www.ppcw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=589

Bummer.

Didn't i see an SD GPS card? Or isn't it out yet?!

Couldn't we use a CF GPS card tho it would be awefully aweckward since HTC designed the CF back cover to have the CF slot opening facing DOWN :(

jlp
11-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Excerpt from the BBC article: >>"It's a brick," they hooted, "a paperweight, or better still a doorstop," they roared. &lt;&lt;

Spoiled rotten kids :roll:

SassKwatch
11-19-2003, 02:25 PM
I'll be the first to admit there are some flaws (the bluetooth profiles on there are rather lacking - has no serial, so can't do GPS right now...lots of other misc. bugs as well), but none-the-less it's a great device.
With no intent to disparage the author of this comment, does anyone else find it just a bit weird that a device with so many 'flaws' can also be classififed as a 'great device'?

It seems like I'm seeing these type comments in the geek/gadget world with greater frequency these days. And it disturbs me not because of the individual comments, but because we all seem to be becoming more and more accepting of devices (and in some cases, software) that offer great *potential*, but fall short when it comes to implementation.

Should we not be holding manufacturers to higher standards? Should a device not be given the notoriety of being labeled 'great' until it's implementation matches it's potential?

I dunno. Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just rapidly growing into 'grumpy old fart' status. But just once I'd like to purchase one of these fancy new gadgets and not have to spend as much time learning how to make the device perform up to expectations as I do using it for it's intended purpose(s).

So tell me....is it me, or is there a lot of memorex that ain't quite so memorexy. :)

steddyman
11-19-2003, 02:52 PM
I've had the XDA II now for two weeks and I agree with the reviews that it is an awesome device.

I have previously owned a Casio, Toshiba and 4 iPaq devices. I previously used a 5450 paired with a T68i, then switched to the 5450 and a Orange SPV (no connection between the two).

Everyhting is right about the XDA II for me, especially:
* Beautiful size, a little smaller than an iPaq and great in the hand
* Fantastic screen, very bright and whites are white
* 128mb memory
* About 2x quicker than a 5450 running PPC2003
* Excellent camera
* Superb phone quality
* Looks amazing

I couldn't recommend this device highly enough, its what the Pocket PC world has been waiting for.

People who call it a brick aren't comparing it to other Pocket PC's. Its probably one of the smallest Pocket PC devices in hand available.

Steddy

SandersP
11-19-2003, 03:37 PM
With no intent to disparage the author of this comment, does anyone else find it just a bit weird that a device with so many 'flaws' can also be classififed as a 'great device'?

Because the other device (Treo600, p900) don't even hae those feature, let alone posess a flaw.

the BT serial is a biggie, but I bet it's a firmware upgrade time soon enough.

Janak Parekh
11-19-2003, 05:20 PM
As for Janak's comment about you have to not "mind the idea of holding a Pocket PC to your ear": This is true. However, it does support a bluetooth headset for calls. As other users have commented (and what I plan on doing) is that you don't even have to take the phone out of your pocket to answer the call - let alone hold the XDA II up to your ear.
Good point. Mind you, I don't oppose the idea of holding a Pocket PC phone to my ear. I do it all the time. And those who own an XDA II will still do it occasionally -- unless you're willing to wear the headset to bed... :lol:

--janak

JoshB
11-19-2003, 06:28 PM
This guy loses a little credibility when he says that the battery life was "an Achilles heel" on the original XDA.

The battery life is one of the strong points of the original XDA, and is supposed to have been improved on the XDA II! :roll:

JoshB

Duncan
11-19-2003, 06:37 PM
He says in the article that you get "double the memory" and in his little "XDA II Features" on the side it says "128MB RAM memory (up from 64MB)." I donno what XDA he had, but it musta been upgraded. You actually get four times the memory, up from 32 MB. Let me tell you, trying to fit all the installs you want on 32MB + an SD card is a pain. The 128 MB (especially on a phone edition) is awesome.

-arebelspy

Later XDAs had 64MB built-in.

Mike Wagstaff
11-19-2003, 08:21 PM
This guy loses a little credibility when he says that the battery life was "an Achilles heel" on the original XDA.
I suspect that he was comparing the XDA's battery life to that of your average Nokia. By Pocket PC standards, the XDA's battery life was excellent. That's not saying much when you compare it with virtually any other mobile phone, though.

Back on topic... I thought it was a great review (nice British sense of humour for us Brits!) and surprisingly insightful for a major media source. And if an E-200 wasn't on order already, I'd be sorely tempted by the XDA II. In fact, I still am... ;)