View Full Version : What do you use your PPC for?

WeezerFanJeffrey
11-19-2003, 12:20 AM
In what ways do you use your PPC, other than a PIM or scheduling device? Movies, programming, music...or something else?

Leo the 3rd
11-19-2003, 02:15 AM
I use it to also retrieve data from the web when I'm not near a PC (movie times, news, email) via Bluetooth and GPRS on my T610 mobile.

Godsongz
11-19-2003, 02:35 AM
#1..........Reading eBooks and the Bible
#2..........my wallet app gets a ton of use, my whole life is stored in there
#3..........mp3s
#4..........everything else

Ed Hansberry
11-19-2003, 03:24 AM
You can tell from the Pocket PC page on my web site. Tons of stuff. :-)

Mitch D
11-19-2003, 03:28 AM
Hmmm...

Normal PIM stuff
Ebooks & Magazines
Word & Excel Spreadsheets
Pictures
MP3's
Gaming
Email (I love WiFi)
Anything else I can think of that won't get me arrested :wink:

:armed:

Falstaff
11-19-2003, 04:19 AM
- Homework
- mp3 Player
- Games
- Web Browsing / AIM
- Word Processing (moreso when I get a keyboard)
- Movies/TV Shows/Trailers/Short Films
- German-English Translator
- and of course E-mail, Calender, Contact List

I always carry mine with me in case I get bored or have to wait somewhere. Although now I am addicted to Age of Empires.

baker
11-19-2003, 04:31 AM
PIM, Wallet for storing everything from account numbers to passwords, Reading Bible & Books, Excel for work, Word for Work & Home, Notes on the phone, Viewing family photos, Pquicken, Calculator.

delfuhd
11-19-2003, 11:26 AM
Gaming, Microsoft Portrait w/ WiFi (just basic text chatting...) TodayPlus which has the weather, Homework, all the PIMs, calculator (I have a TI-89 emulator, Remote control, and many other things... It's an amazing device.

upplepop
11-19-2003, 04:36 PM
(I have a TI-89 emulator...

Where did you get this emulator? I wasn't aware a TI emulator existed for the Pocket PC.

sublime
11-19-2003, 06:07 PM
-ListPro for listing everything ever
-Audible Player for listening to books
-Snails and Gamebox Classics to allow me to stop thinking
-Textmaker for making text
-Mastersoft Money for knowing where all my money went

Thinkingmandavid
11-20-2003, 11:51 PM
I use my ppc for my day planning, and I use the alarms a lot for this reason. I have installed pocket plus for the repeating alarms which works well for myself.
I use excel to keep track of the numbers at work and clients we are not able to close on I keep in a separate sheet.
I also use word for working on articles for the CNCM newsletter at the university and for papers at the grad school as well. I recently purchased textmaker for 11.11 when they were running the special, so I will be using that now.
I have installed super calendar which is working out well, it doesnt take a lot of memeory so I like that about it. It isnt as extensive as Pi or agenda fusion, but it is meeting my needs for now.
I use notes for keeping track of my bill paying, writing the name, confirmation number, time, etc.
And of course I have been playing Anthelion which is really cool. Right now I still have the beta version and will be getting the full version.

bridgecrosser
11-21-2003, 10:31 PM
I use Calendar to manage my appointments, Tasks to monitor then clear To Do items, Contacts to keep track of the people I relate to through work (date, time, interaction), Word to hold a variety of information, Excel to keep track of stats in need with me, Pocket Bible (and a number of added books) to read and study for sermons and Bible studies, the calculator for working with stats, Inbox to read and respond to emails, Textmaker to keep thngs I don't wish to lose formatting on, RealOne for videos...I could go on and on!

It's my primary work tool!

Mitchybums
11-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Mine is being used mainly for movies. I have a big collection of dvd's and divx-vcd-xvids and it's constantly growing. I convert them over and when I have to wait somewhere, I usualy end up watching a movie.
I play some games on it, mostly Insanaquarium. It's realy addictive.
And when I dont feel like turning on the laptop, I use it for browsing te web or checking the tv-listings online.
Usualy I dont have that much installed. Rightnow only PocketMVP and Insanaquarium, thats it. I do use the buffer funtion in pocketmvp quite abit as well so the free mem defenately comes in handy.
Other than that, it's just a gadget for me, bought it to replace my laptop.
The things I used to use my laptop for I can do as well on the ppc. I also use VNC and TErminalserver client quite a bit for managing my server and laptop remotely.
It defenately beats hooking up my laptop, booting it up and then after a min be able to do something, compared to the 2 sec activationtime for my wireless lan.

WeezerFanJeffrey
11-21-2003, 11:43 PM
Yeah, there is a TI emulator for PPC. It currently is in beta, and only emulates the 89, but go to www.ticalc.org for more info.

icallmedan
04-24-2004, 03:56 AM
I couldn't figure out how to get the ROM working...for the 89...does anyone know how...when I loaded the rom and hit the "On" button it just gave me a green screen for the calculator...does anyone know how to get passed this?

Jon Westfall
04-24-2004, 05:49 AM
Oh, I only use mine for my... PHONE! (Of course, somedays I use the new smartphone). What do I use mine for other than that:
1. Weather updates
2. Email
3. Reading
4. Tracking Grades
5. GPS
6. IMing
7. Tracking Money, Ewallet, and lists.
8. Doodling
9. Editing photos and posting them (thanks to spb imageer)
10. Terminal Services for the Win boxes I support.
11. a mobile modem for my laptop when away from a lan.
12. Listening to Audiobooks

And more that I haven't explored yet.

Jon Westfall
04-24-2004, 05:52 AM
Oh, and http://ticalcemulator.calcnews.net (the homepage for the emulator) says that in 2.4 beta, it supports more than a ti-89, but who needs anything else???

<missing my 89 - sorry baby, just can't justify carrying you without taking a math class, but you'll live on in my pocket pc>

Aerestis
04-24-2004, 09:27 AM
I pretty much just listen to mp3's and tap out some information for school work.

I wish I had a use for a calculator, but the futher you get into math, the less you seem to be able to use a calculator. Calculus and Algebra are grooosssss.

Kowalski
04-24-2004, 02:47 PM
I pretty much just listen to mp3's and tap out some information for school work.

this is pretty alike the way i use my pda. i dont play games and but i also use PIM alot.

BTW if you are intended to use a calculator go for calc98. which is the best around
and you can use silke plot which is a usefull program if you are a student