View Full Version : Speed Reader Plus

baker
11-18-2003, 03:26 AM
I'm considering this to save some time. Would like to know if it has worked for you and its pitfalls if any? Also, does their library converter actually work well on .lit books? Thanks. :?:

ATraveler
11-18-2003, 06:52 PM
I bought this app a couple of years ago. I'm not sure it will really save you a lot of time, but as I was having vision problems at the time, it really was the only thing that enabled me to keep reading. After things stabilized I found myself using it less, among other reasons because prolonged use really did a number on my battery as at higher speeds it is rather cpu intensive. This may be less true on the newer, faster processors. (I can't be sure as I still have my trusty old ipaq 3750.)

Having said the above, I really enjoyed the program and still use it on occassion. I have not recently tried to convert .lit books, but at that time it could not convert them. My guess would be it still can't if only because of the DMCA. However, there is an unfortunately named app
c_lit which does convert .lit to text which can be read by the app. AIUI, it may be difficult to find now due to those same legal issues.

HTH[/code]

baker
11-19-2003, 04:01 AM
ATraveler,
Thanks for your help. I had wondered about the document conversion legality and had not thought about the battery usage.