View Full Version : Anyone else have their Pocket PC crammed with programs?

Candygogo
11-18-2003, 01:31 AM
I was skimming through the folders on my compact flash card in my Toshiba and realised "Jeeze, I have ALOT of stuff in here!" :)

The bulk of the programs, ebooks, mp3s, etc...that I do use; but I have to admit that there is the random program or game that I haven't clicked on since installing.

So, where are my pda 'program crammers' at?

David Prahl
11-18-2003, 04:23 AM
I keep programs in my RAM and personal files on my CF card. Until recently I'd never had less than 20MB of free RAM, but had to "economize" a few weeks ago. I'm running at about 15MB free, and have about 1/2 of my CF card filled up.

There should be other older threads about this - I seem to remember a poll that asked how much space people had left.

This is why the industry needs to make 128MB devices commonplace!

Itanium
11-18-2003, 10:53 AM
If I choose top backup everything in Sprite Backup Pro including my storage cards, they file system size is 668MB :D (Note: MP3s are less than 300 MB out of that).

How does that sound ;)

piperpilot
11-18-2003, 01:58 PM
I'm like Dave Prahl, I keep programs in RAM and files (music, ebooks, etc.) on a storage card. Right now, I have only 8.5 MB free for storage. Here's what's chewing up all the memory on my iPAQ 5455:

Omega One BatteryPack
HP Bluetooth driver update
Applian Picture Perfect
Applian Replay Player
Microsoft Activation
Laridian Pocket Bible
Thumbs Up Soft Pocket TV Listings
4 Pockets Pinball and 3 Expansion Tables
PDAmill Gamebox Solitaire
ValkSoft Space Reclaimer'
Astraware Bejeweled
Resco Explorer
Sprite Software Pocket Backup
Landware Pocket Quicken
iPAQ Micro Keyboard Driver
Stowaway Keyboard Driver
HP WLAN Drive Update
Microsoft MSN Messenger Update
Monkeystone Games Hyperspace Delivery Boy
Handmark Warfare, Inc.

dh
11-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Here's my current memory situation:

http://www.rfidnews.net/Misc%20Images/Memory.jpg

The Dell Built-in Storage is great. Most of my apps live there without using up precious RAM.

My CF card is pretty full up with music files and books, my backups also live there. The SD card has a bunch of maps and business related files.

delfuhd
11-19-2003, 02:49 AM
I keep most of my personals on my 128 SD card, which is pretty full, and also has some programs installed that I don't use enough to take up RAM space. Then I have about 30 meg free out of 57, and that's after taking most of my extra stuff and putting it on my SD card.. My 256 CF is mostly for videos and music and games, and I keep that full minus 20 or 30 meg...

But I do have too many programs still I think, I have around 15 installed... I rarely use some of them =/

mrkablooey
11-19-2003, 01:12 PM

Even more to fill!! :wink: I'd bet that even with 128mb, we'd have the same question/poll.

k1darkknight
07-07-2004, 06:46 AM

Aaaaaaaand in the category of extreme UNDERkill:

640 kilobytes of RAM? Hell, NO ONE will ever need more memory than THAT!!!
(ok, granted, that was like 20 years ago, but hey...)

dean_shan
07-07-2004, 07:32 AM
RAM is used for programs ( sans AOE campains ) and temp files ( audio recordings, word docs, notes, etc). The SD card is for more documents, some more games, recordings, mp3s.

kosmicki
07-07-2004, 08:03 AM
I installed all my games on my CF card, and Battery Pack Pro on the device itself. And the few files I take with my I also put in RAM.

Just waitin till I get that 1GB CF card... I know I am either gonna have so much crap on there because I can. OR I'll be the other extreme: "Have not used this in a week... Only 700MBs free, must free up more..."

Kowalski
07-07-2004, 07:47 PM
i install the programs which take up big space to SD card ( adobe acrobat, dictionary), the ones i rarely use to the ROM and the others to the RAM.

my device has 4 megs of rom storage and 58 megs of ram.
if i had to choose between having 64 megs of ROM or 128 megs of RAM, i would choose to have bigger rom.