View Full Version : First program you reinstall after hard-reset?

sublime
11-17-2003, 08:41 PM
It'd be interesting to see what you have to say about this. One thread had ListPro as it's #1, while another had Pocket Controller. What's your first app to reinstall?

buckyg
11-17-2003, 08:55 PM
For me, it's Virtual CE: http://bitbanksoftware.com/VirtualCE.html

It lets me run my PPC from the PC desktop, makes it a LOT easier for me to key in those long key codes for other software that are like 12345-ABCDEF-1A2E3c-ESHER3

Yes, there's other alternatives, this is the first one I saw and I was impressed. I'm also looking forward to the upcoming new version that's supposed to do better file transfers than ActiveStync.

Second or third is usually either SPB Pocket Plus (for program closing) or Pocket Backup Plus...

TopDog
11-17-2003, 08:59 PM
Codewallet Pro.

I could say Agenda Fusion, but it's not so critical since I could live with the buildt in calendar... but I couldn't live without my codes :-)

powder2000
11-17-2003, 09:15 PM
Wisbar 0X

Steven Cedrone
11-17-2003, 09:48 PM
The first thing that is run after a hard reset is my Sprite backup executable. Then I have all of my apps again...

If I had to do a manual restore of all of my apps, eWallet would be the first...

Steve

Sven Johannsen
11-17-2003, 09:53 PM
I go with pocket controller. Makes everything after that so much easier.

piperpilot
11-18-2003, 01:25 AM
For me, it''s BatteryPack, but usually, I just restore from Pocket Backup so I don't have to start from scratch.

yvilla
11-18-2003, 01:26 AM
Resco File Explorer. Then Pocket Informant. Sorry, couldn't limit it to one! :wink:

dh
11-18-2003, 01:28 AM
The first thing that is run after a hard reset is my Sprite backup executable. Then I have all of my apps again...

If I had to do a manual restore of all of my apps, eWallet would be the first...

Steve
Same for me, Pocket Backup is just a great program to have. I think PI would be first if I did a manual install.

baker
11-18-2003, 01:43 AM
Dittos for PocketBackup.

Kevin C. Tofel
11-18-2003, 02:50 AM
Nothing too exotic for me: it's actually MS Money. After all...without money, I can't buy any other apps!

KCT

sublime
11-18-2003, 03:06 AM
So let me get this straight: Pocketbackup plus allows you to reinstall your programs without reentering the registration codes? Sounds good, but does it offer anything else of use, or is that it?

Jon Westfall
11-18-2003, 03:26 AM
Hmm, this may sound odd, but Audible Player is the first. Why? Well, on my desktop I have a folder with all my pocket pc apps, and whenever a hard reset happens, I simply start at the top of the list and work my way down... since its sorted alphabetically (and I'm a PI not Agenda Fusion user), Audible is first.

Jeff Rutledge
11-18-2003, 03:46 AM
Pocket Informant (http://www.pocketinformant.com) without fail.

Eitel
11-18-2003, 03:47 AM
Same here. I have a "base image" that I load first. It doesn't really have any programs. It just have all my customizations, like user info, BT settings and things like that. It saves me like 15 minutes of typing. :)

tanalasta
11-18-2003, 04:25 AM
So let me get this straight: Pocketbackup plus allows you to reinstall your programs without reentering the registration codes? Sounds good, but does it offer anything else of use, or is that it?

Pocketbackup plus restores your device to exactly how you had it before the hard reset - which means you have to do nothing except sync the clock (which activesync does automatically anyway). Oh and it's also quick. A 3 hour activesync backup could take 3-5 minutes with pocketbackup.

Back on topic, i'm with those who doubletap pocketbackup's restore file straight after a hard reset :) As to what program i'd install first if that failed, I'd spend about 15 minutes reinstalling everything but pocket informant, listpro and isilo would probably get done first.

sublime
11-18-2003, 05:06 AM
I have the regular pocket backup that came with the iPAQ 2210. I notice when I do backups that I can't backup the programs on my CF card. The checkbox is left blank, and clicking on it makes no difference. With Pocketbackup Plus will it be otherwise?

tanalasta
11-18-2003, 09:52 AM
Pocketbackup plus usually makes a backup of everything on your device. This includes registry settings that tell it where you've installed your programs (as well as registration info). As you don't lose programs installed onto storage card when you hard reset, only the information on your device that tells it that's where they are, then all your programs would still work as they did before the reset/restore (provided you've got your memory card slotted in!)

Of course, there is an option where you can backup the entire contents of your storage card as well including programs. Obviously this amounts to massive file sizes and is usually un-neccessary. That's one of the great things about pocketbackup, you can choose exactly what you do and don't want to backup. And before you ask, the difference between the plus and standard version is simply the PC client that lets you do backups onto your PC. But seeing people usually backup to a storage card (and you can always transfer this file to your PC using activesync!) it mite not be worth paying the extra 10 bucks. Why don't you just download a trial from handango/pocketgear?

Thox
11-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Mine would be PocketRAR. I keep backups saved on SD card in RAR format. I also keep all the original CAB files backed up for quick access to software I may need.

buckyg
11-18-2003, 04:12 PM
Yes, I reload my last backup from Pocket Backup Plus first. My answer was assuming I did not have a backup or I wanted to start from scratch.

I'm so glad I do regular backups. The last thing I did last night was a backup. So when I cradled my iPAQ this morning and Activestync did some sort of hiccup and then my machine did a hard reset, I was back up and running in a few minutes. The only thing I had to do was the standard first couple of screens, set the date/time, restore the backup, then sync. Just wish AS didn't start things over and want to sync everything for the first time. Oh well, just a few minutes instead of hours...

Jerry Raia
11-19-2003, 06:46 AM
This brings up an interesting problem I had recently. I use Sprite Pocket backup plus and created a backup file on my SD card. I also have as my default keyboard Tengo. The other day after a hard reset the first thing I ran was the backed up executable. It restored everything just fine it seemed but when I performed the soft reset, Tengo which tried to start and couldn't find 3 data files it needed and locked up my iPAQ.

It seems that maybe some programs don't release files and pocket backup cant copy them so they are skipped over.

The solve was to reinstall tengo first, then restore the backup file and now the data files were already there. FYI :)

piperpilot
11-19-2003, 01:34 PM
It seems that maybe some programs don't release files and pocket backup cant copy them so they are skipped over.

I have found that to be the case with my NEVO settings as well.

pocketpcfox
11-20-2003, 09:26 AM
First reinstalled program? Believe it or not, it's the ebook reader uBook. I really can't do without the innovative page scroll technique which prevents "dizziness".

Steven Cedrone
11-20-2003, 03:16 PM

In backup options, have you tried using the "Stop processes before backup" option...

Steve

Jerry Raia
11-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Yes that was selected, but I wonder if a keyboard program is one that cannot be stopped, it is never listed as a running program either.

ctmagnus
11-21-2003, 06:10 AM
First of all, my most recent (valid) executable backup. Short of that, FlexWallet as that has all my installation codes, then Pocket Backup (the program), then Pocket Plus then Pocket Informant.

nosmohtac
11-22-2003, 07:38 AM
I have the regular pocket backup that came with the iPAQ 2210. I notice when I do backups that I can't backup the programs on my CF card. The checkbox is left blank, and clicking on it makes no difference. With Pocketbackup Plus will it be otherwise?

I had the same problem with my iPAQ 3970. The trick is, when you open iPAQ backup, choose OPTIONS, and then on the lower half of the screen, there are some check boxes of what to exclude when doing a backup. You have to unselect PERSISTENT STORAGE, then you can select individual files on your storage card/s.

petvas
11-23-2003, 12:31 AM
I would also use Pocket Backup Plus first...
If I had to do a manual install I would choose Agenda Fusion AND Pocket Informant..

nice_micael
11-23-2003, 10:08 AM
petvas why both?
the Three first i would install:
Pocket backup plus
resco file explorer
agenda fusion

nosmohtac
11-24-2003, 02:30 AM
Because the iPAQ 3970 has 48MB of ROM, and only uses about 27 of it. I store my most commonly used programs in ROM.

Such as: Resco File explorer,
Resco Picture Viewer
Resco Zipper
Ewallet
Listpro and many others.

I still have to reenter some of the registration numbers after a hard reset, but I also store my wallet file in ROM, so I can reenter thes numbers in case I'm away from my desktop.

KH
11-24-2003, 06:48 AM
The order varies, but it is always Calligrapher, Resco Explorer, or Palm Reader - quickly followed by the other two. Oh, and Streets and Trips and a good picture viewer - without this core set I would be missing something really quickly!

senfeng
11-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Pocket Controller. I just traded handhelds with my friend (somewhat regrettably) and I don't think I could've handled all those serial numbers without Pocket Controller.

minimage
11-24-2003, 08:05 PM
I guess I'm just a weird one, because I don't hard-reset. I've done one ROM update, and I restored the backup image from that. My Ax spontaneously hard-reset one day, and tried to do it several other times; a new battery from Dell fixed that issue (the one I had fit too loosely). That was so long ago that I just don't remember what I installed first. Most of my apps are on SD cards, anyway. If I were to do a hard reset, I suppose my first choices would be Total Commander (unless I manage to win Resco File Explorer before that undesired occasion), FTxP, TextMaker, Wireless Card drivers, Wisbar, ceipconfig, pmenu. I guess the short answer is: the answer would vary, depending on the temperature, what I wanted to do with my Axim right then, where I was going in the next few minutes/hours/days, how much time I had to restore apps before I had to get moving again, etc. Yeah, I know; I'm no help.