View Full Version : Why can't we get a PPC mobile machine like the Treo 600?

tm4000m
11-17-2003, 01:39 AM
Ok.. I might be off on a rant here, but it seems to me that there is ALOT of GREAT technology out there, and everyone seems to be creating new products that cater to ever nitch that exists except "the-best-of-the-best". And of those that come close, they are running the WRONG OS!!! Why can't I find a PPC in the form factor of the Treo 600 (minus the keypad, waste of space in my opinion). I want Bluetooth, and a SIDO slot. 64Mb of USEABLE RAM (or 128, I'm not picky), and the unbelievable Sharp 2.8" 480X640 screen. 802.11b might be a nice option, but with bluetooth, and GSM, and wi-fi running at once, you would need a car battery to power it, and an FCC license for running a radio station... :D I currently have an HP 5455, a Sony/Ericson T68I, and a Bluetooth headset (Bluespoon, best in the world!!) and I would love to trade in my 5455 and phone for a useable phone/pda combo. Thanks for listening, I feel better already.

Cortex
11-17-2003, 02:22 AM
treo 600 is tiny and not to my liking...

what you are asking for is the XDAII.

tm4000m
11-17-2003, 03:28 AM
treo 600 is tiny and not to my liking...

what you are asking for is the XDAII.

XDAII is larger than I would like... The form factor of the Treo is exactly what I would be looking for, but use the thumbpad real estate for more screen. I agree that data entry would be difficult on something like that, maybe I could use it as a "read only" type of tool, something to compliment instead of replace my 5455. Anyone have any experience with the "smartphones"? Are they a viable tool if used more like a referance instead of a true Pda with input capabilities?

Pocket PC Dubai
11-17-2003, 03:10 PM
tm4000m,

I believe the following device almost fits your requirements:

http://www.etencorp.com/images/P300pic.gif

Everex P500 (aka ETEN P300) Will be Launched in Dubai

This is a new tri-band GSM/GPRS Pocket PC Phone Edition device running the latest Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC Phone Edition. It is a unique device; it is a Pocket PC Phone as small as the Smartphone. The size of this device will please many demanding customers in our region; this will be a great advantage. With this small size they fitted a digital camera which can take pictures of up to 640x480 in resolution. A plus for this device too is the inclusion of an SDIO slot which gives the user more options in terms of expansion. Due to its size, E-TEN opted to fit it with a 2.8in., 320x240, 4,096 colors Transflective LCD. Running on a 200MHz processor based on the Samsung 2410 chipset, which is as per HP's recent announcement regarding their h1930 running the same processor; it is faster than the Intel Xscale 200MHz. This highly anticipated device will be offered in the Middle East region as Everex P500, and it is going to be launched here in Dubai SOON!!..........

http://www.pocketpcdubai.com/

tm4000m
11-17-2003, 04:42 PM
Thanks spy Eagle! Looks like a near perfect fit!!! Only one small issue, and one large one,. 1st, I would love integrated BT to free up the SD/SIDO slot for more RAM... second, I WANT IT IN THE U.S. NOW!!! We seem to have some fairly bright people building equipment in the States... Why are all the great machines being targeted in other areas? I don't want the rest of the world to not have acess to the best toys... but I would like it if I could have access to them as well.....

Pocket PC Dubai
11-17-2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks spy Eagle! Looks like a near perfect fit!!! Only one small issue, and one large one,. 1st, I would love integrated BT to free up the SD/SIDO slot for more RAM... second, I WANT IT IN THE U.S. NOW!!! We seem to have some fairly bright people building equipment in the States... Why are all the great machines being targeted in other areas? I don't want the rest of the world to not have acess to the best toys... but I would like it if I could have access to them as well.....

It is a drawback of not having Bluetooth integrated, however I hope this device will be reasonably priced. If everything went smoothly we might be able to start selling it at Pocket PC Dubai (http://www.pocketpcdubai.com/), but there is no confirmation so far.