View Full Version : Canadian (and other countries) Duty Fees

bdegroodt
11-16-2003, 10:51 PM
I just read an old post Jason made about an SD card for what was a pretty good deal to the Canadians. I'm confused about this whole "duty" thing. What happens exactly when say I ship something to someone in Canada? Does it get stuck in some place and assigned a taxable value that then is passed on to the recipient? What's the reason for this if so? Also, for some reason I keep being told by coworkers that shopping in Canada is cheaper. Yet each trip I've made to Quebec and purchased things (clothes mostly) hasn't felt like any kind of bargain at all. :?:

ctmagnus
11-17-2003, 01:10 AM
First and foremost: When coming to Canada to buy stuff, do NOT buy it in Quebec. They charge PST on top of GST and, iirc, their PST is around 15%.

I'm confused about this whole "duty" thing. What happens exactly when say I ship something to someone in Canada? Does it get stuck in some place and assigned a taxable value that then is passed on to the recipient?

It has to clear customs. As for the value, that's generally declared by the shipper. And we get dinged for taxes on the entire value declared.

What's the reason for this if so?

Crazy politicians combined with money-hungry megacorporartions as far as I can tell.

Also, for some reason I keep being told by coworkers that shopping in Canada is cheaper. Yet each trip I've made to Quebec and purchased things (clothes mostly) hasn't felt like any kind of bargain at all.

See my first statement.

:?:

Exactly. ;)

Also, when things are shipped via UPS, Canadians get a $25USD fee for that item crossing the border, plus all the usual other charges. In short, we pay through the nose as well as several other orifices for the privilege of buying stuff from your wonderful country.

bdegroodt
11-17-2003, 01:43 AM
So is that to say that there are good deals to be had in Canada?

Also, what's to stop someone from buying something for a friend in Canada and sending it along? Does that have to be taxed? It would seem very evil to tax a gift like that.

Fishie
11-17-2003, 02:27 AM

Also, what's to stop someone from buying something for a friend in Canada and sending it along? Does that have to be taxed? It would seem very evil to tax a gift like that.

Of course it isnt, things bought abroad however are.

ctmagnus
11-17-2003, 02:38 AM

That depends on where in Canada. Alberta has no PST so whenever we make a trip there to do some shopping, we pay less than we would otherwise. We're fortunate that way; most Canadians would end up paying what they save on PST, on gas to make a trip to Alberta. Also, gas in Calgary is ~$.65/L whereas it's ~$.80/L here, less than three hours away. It varies greatly by location.

afaik, the case there is that the money was earned and spent outside Canada by a non-Canadian so the Canadian government has no right to any portion of that money.

Jonathon Watkins
12-27-2003, 06:32 PM
So, any recomendations of what websites/actual shops are good to buy stuff from in Canda?

ctmagnus
12-27-2003, 09:59 PM
I like HandheldCanada (www.handheldcanada.com) but ymmv.

tanalasta
12-28-2003, 10:57 AM
Depends which place you buy it from and the nature of the package. Some places are nice enough to wrap goods in plain packaging and state that it is sent as a "gift" saving you the consumer from paying any tax. I know of one large online asian music retailer that does this :)

Otherwise if you're importing something from overseas, you'll have to pay the relevant duties that apply specific to your country.