View Full Version : ipaq 2215, low battery warning and SD card

daman
11-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Can anyone tell me why my iPaq disables SD card when on low battery? I have SanDisk 256MB SD card that works perfectly. But - when power goes down to ~10% I get low power message and from now on the SD card is not visible in the system. soft reset or removing the card doesn't work. When recharged - the card becomes visible and usable. I tried two different cards - nothing changed.
How can I get rid of this "feature"?
Thanks,
Adam

Jason Dunn
11-16-2003, 10:32 PM
I think that's just a "feature" of the OS and it can't be changed.

PetiteFlower
11-17-2003, 01:10 AM
It's not a good idea to be letting the battery get down that low anyway, doing so regularly will shorten the life of your battery.

sxr71
11-17-2003, 09:56 PM
I was under the impression that taking a new battery to 100% via initial charge and then running it to 0% (as much as that is possible) and then charging it fully helps maximise the intrinsic power delivery capability of the battery. I heard that doing that about 5 times or so is good for the battery. Did I hear wrong?

As for the topic on hand, yeah the system disables all attached periperhals at 9% for me. Windows Media Player refuses to play anything below 14% battery. I don't know if there is a way around it. My solution is to carry a spare battery at all times.

Jason Dunn
11-17-2003, 10:05 PM
I was under the impression that taking a new battery to 100% via initial charge and then running it to 0% (as much as that is possible) and then charging it fully helps maximise the intrinsic power delivery capability of the battery. I heard that doing that about 5 times or so is good for the battery. Did I hear wrong?

That's old-school, back in the NiCad or NiMH days - you don't need to do that with Lithium batteries. If fact, with Lithium Polymer batteries, going to 0% charge actually damages them...

sxr71
11-17-2003, 10:08 PM
Thanks! I will never subject my batteries to that treatment any more.

Godsongz
11-17-2003, 10:15 PM
I hadn't heard about this "feature" before, questions...

is 10% the default cut-off for the SD Card?
it affects CF Cards as well?
is this percentage adjustable at all anywhere, maybe a registry entry?