View Full Version : Snails or Worms?

sublime
11-16-2003, 01:19 AM
They're both essentially the same game, only different minor details. Snails sells for 10 bucks (or free with subscription to this site) while worms sells for 25 bucks. Does Worms distinguish itself so greatly that it justifies the $15 more?

sixsixty
11-16-2003, 01:27 AM
good question. i've been meaning to check out worms for awhile now. i LOVE snails. it is awesome. well worth the $10. i really want to try out the multiplayer.

i want to try worms, but i heard there is no multiplayer or stylus support. supposedly all the controls are done by the hardware buttons? that sounds lame if its true.

tanalasta
11-16-2003, 06:53 AM
I would strongly recommend downloading the trial from handango/pocketgear so you can trial it out for yourself. Snails is an awesome game so I can strongly recommend it... (or why not buy anthelion and get it half price??? :D)

Worms reportedly runs slower on some processors/devices so make sure it works before you buy it. It's also quite pricey. And yes, i think you control movement using the hardware buttons although that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Both snails and worms are decent games though!

ghl
11-16-2003, 03:41 PM
i say snails, i have tryed both demos and snails was more fun/ran faster/graphics looked slicker

green_day21
11-16-2003, 07:22 PM
I thought Snails was cool for about 5 Minutes. It has no replay value. The levels are boring, the weapons are mediocre at best, the aiming is terrible.
But then again I am comparing the game to Scorched Earth. Too bad Scorch is only for the PC (that I am aware of).
Snails doesnt allow you to earn money, and buy weapons after each ROUND like Scorch. Thus not giving you a reward for your good playing skills. Instead you unlock weapons in the game, which you can buy with the money you earn.....how do you earn that money?? ...Im not sure....I was disapointed with this game, only because I heard so much good stuff about it.
To choose between worms and snails, I'd go with snails. Worms is a clone of Snails.

Kati Compton
11-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Worms is a clone of Snails.
Actually, the opposite. Worms was out for desktops before Snails existed. But yes, they are similar games. My husband is a Worms fan, and I just bought him Snails for his new PPC. As soon as he gets a chance to try it, I'll post his thoughts.

spursdude
11-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Snails is a PHENOMENAL game... if you have a forced choice, go with Snails. Preferably, you'll get both. :D

Fishie
11-16-2003, 11:52 PM
Worms is well over a decade old and originated on the good old Amiga.
The game subsequently was converted to nes, Master system, snes, Megadrive/Genesis, Saturn, Playstation, original gameboy etcetera etcetera.

The latest game in the Worms series just got released for next gen consoles and PCs and is the first one to take the game into the realm of 3D.

Team17 still makes the game but unlike in the past its no longer Virgin that distributes it, this time its Sega with Atari(formerly Infogrames) taking care of distribution in regions where Sega doesnt do their own distribution.

The PPC version was made with very little involvement of the actual creators and instead is liscensed for PPC.

sublime
11-17-2003, 03:05 AM
Yeah, I must admit, the replay value blows. I just finished all of the missions, and now the game has no appeal. I might play it every once in a while when on the bus, but only out of extreme boredom. The game itself is very well done and lots of fun (though it would be nice if we could EARN our weapons rather than unlocking them), but as soon as you beat the game its not worth playing.