View Full Version : CSS editor for Pocket PC?

divajess
11-14-2003, 06:14 PM
I have looked around the 'Net and searched here and I have found some great HTML editors to try/buy...but none of them seem to support CSS editing. I am hoping I'd be able to just edit style sheets in Pocket Notepad, but I haven't tried, so I looked around just the same for a CSS editor and came up mostly empty handed.

I've found that Pine Tree Software is in the process of developing the Freestyle CSS Editor for PPC (theirs for Palm is already out), but wondered if there were any others I didn't find. Any suggestions?

I just want to be able to tweak/work on pages and the style sheets associated with them on the fly.

Thanks!

Jason Dunn
11-14-2003, 07:31 PM
I'm not aware of any, sorry.

divajess
11-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks, Jason. I guess I'll just have to be patient. :)

Eitel
11-14-2003, 08:48 PM
A CSS is just a plain text file. Pocket word or TextMaker should open it just fine.

spikedrabbit
11-15-2003, 01:31 AM
The best thing I've found so far is PocketHTML.NET (http://www.freewareppc.com/docs/pockethtmlnet.shtml). Plus it's free!

acemarke
11-16-2003, 07:23 AM
Spikedrabbit: thanks for the plug :)

Divajess: Since CSS is just text, they're right that any text editor should work okay. That of course includes PocketHTML.Net, although it doesn't have any CSS-specific capabilities. One possibility would be editing the tags.csv file that comes with PHN to add in CSS-related items, then setting some of the QuickTags to use those.

Since I haven't done much in the way of CSS editing: what particular features would you like to see in a CSS editor for the PocketPC? I'm rather occupied at the moment with school and work, so I don't anticipate adding any new features in the near future, but if you describe some of the stuff you're interested in, I can at least start looking into it.

One major limitation, though, is that PocketIE 2K2 doesn't support CSS, as far as I can tell. I've got an iPaq 3835, which is a 2K2 device, and HP is asking $30 for upgrades to 2K3. I know that's not a huge amount, but suffice it to say it's not something I'm planning on doing at the moment. Because of this, while I can certainly write features that insert CSS commands, I have no way to test the CSS I'm inserting.

So, all that said, I'm certainly like to hear what features you and anyone else may be interested in, CSS-related or otherwise.

Mark Erikson
ISquared Software (http://www.isquaredsoftware.com)

divajess
11-17-2003, 03:55 AM
As it so happens, I downloaded the PocketHTML.Net program on Friday night. Great work, Mark!

I was pretty sure that the .css files were editable with a text program, but I wasn't sure. I had conveniently forgotten that Pocket IE 2002 didn't support CSS. D'oh! So it's kind of pointless on my iPAQ 1910 to even really want to edit my CSS documents on it, since I can't preview my work. :roll: None of the other downloadable browsers for Pocket PC 2002 support CSS do they? I figure that many of them, since they seem to be add-ons for PIE, wouldn't.

However, it'd be really great if you did implement CSS editing into PocketHTML.Net, simply so I didn't have to have two programs open. ;-)