View Full Version : What exactly is 'XDA'?

Dave Potter
11-13-2003, 06:16 PM
This may be a stupid question - but...
Can anyone explain to me what the term 'XDA' referrs to?
My impression is that it is some new standard in PDA/PocketPC technology.
Does this term mean smart phones (PDA-cellular hybrids)?

Dave :?:

JustinGTP
11-13-2003, 06:31 PM
I had the same question a while back, dont worry about it. It is a brand of PDA, just like HP is a brand of a Pda, a manufacturer if you will. THe XDA brand focuses on PDA and Cellphone combos.

-Justin.

Dave Potter
11-13-2003, 07:01 PM
Makes sense - I'm generally pretty up to date when it comes to industry terms and buzz-words. In this case I thought that I had missed the boat somehow. Nice to know that I didn't.

Thanks for the clarification.

Dave

PetiteFlower
11-13-2003, 07:44 PM
I didn't think it was a brand, I thought it was a particular device. The original XDA was a pocket pc phone(not a smartphone) that at least around here was available on the TMobile network. Now there's the next generation XDA 2 which isn't available in the US right now. I don't know what XDA stands for though.

I could be wrong of course but I thought it was equivalent to "Ipaq" or "Axim" rather then "HP" or "Dell".

Jason Dunn
11-13-2003, 07:56 PM
"XDA" is a generic term for the Pocket PC Phone Edition made by HTC in Taiwan - it's sold under different brand names by different carriers, but they all look the same so it's easiest to call it the XDA.

Jon Westfall
11-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Just to add to what Jason said: One thing that is commonly misunderstood is the fact that all the 'brandings' of the XDA are exactly the same. The XDA goes under the following names:

T-Mobile Pocket PC
Siemens SX56
MDA
XDA
Qtek 1010

The new version of this phone/pda is known as the XDA II (And other brands, see below) apparently there is some variation in the fine specifics on this model (i.e. amount of RAM), but the underlying device is still exactly the same over the various brands. The XDA II is being released as:

T-Mobile MDA II
Qtek 2020
XDA II

Like I said, all the models are made by High Tech Computers (HTC) in Taiwan. Imagine if HP made a model of the ipaq and then let everyone besides themselves brand it (i.e. Toshiba ip22) and sell it. Its the same idea.

Dave Potter
11-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Ok - I take it back. I apparently did miss the boat on this one. Serves me right for buying my ticket from a scalper... :wink:

Dave