View Full Version : I need a SQL interpreter

gregca80
11-13-2003, 12:29 PM
Hi:

Does anyone know of a sql interpreter for PPC? I'd like to have one.

Thanks!

-Greg

Jon Westfall
11-13-2003, 03:55 PM
select * from ppc_programs where program_description=sql

Unfortunatly, I don't think you'll return any results. I'd love to have a program like this as well. Let us know if you find anything not posted here.

mel
11-13-2003, 07:44 PM
what exactly do you mean by a SQL interpreter and what is your back end database? We've got an internal tool we use at Two Peaks that runs queries off a Microsoft SQL Server database over any wireless connection. Is this sort of what you had in mind? see screenshot

http://www.twopeaks.com/temp/pocketsql.gif

Godsongz
11-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Mel, by "internal tool" do you mean that this is something you wrote but its not for sale? Would this work going up against a database sync'ed locally to the PPC through SQL Server CE?

I'd pay for that if you ever make it commercial.

mel
11-13-2003, 08:47 PM
If you've got a database already synced into SQL Server CE, then you do not need our tool. You would use Microsoft's Query Analyzer CE that gets installed automatically when you install SQL Server CE. You don't need any 3rd party tools in that case.

On the other hand, our tool works without having SQL Server CE on the device. It directly queries the live database that is on our desktop servers. Our tool also does not cache any data locally on the device, it is strictly real time - as opposed to SQL Server CE, which uses an offline copy of the database.

We wrote it for internal purposes, but it is flexible enough to connect to any SQL database on the Internet. Its not for sale at this time, but I can let you try it - without any implied warranties or support :)

gregca80
11-14-2003, 01:07 AM
I was just looking for something that would allow me to create and store tables on a ppc. Using a command line interface such as: create table (cid char(4) ); and then input data into it, and run sql select statements to query those tables.

It's just something I wanted to do for fun. I'm taking this oracle/sql course right now in college, and thought it would be cool to make tables, and practice various sql commands while I'm mobile.