View Full Version : ActiveSync/WinXP Quirk

trachy
11-13-2003, 03:48 AM
Does anyone have the following problem with their ActiveSync?

http://www.trachy.com/as.gif

After I hover over the rogue tray icons they disappear, leaving only one functional icon behind. It's never presented a problem, but I was just wondering if I'm the only one to notice. I'm currently using 3.5.x, but am in the process of upgrading to 3.7.1 to see if that fixes the problem.

Thinkingmandavid
11-13-2003, 03:51 AM
I have had that problem but not with activesync, with messenger.
It was from it being loaded twice, after I downloaded the latest update,so it would show messenger 5.0 and 6.0, go figure.
I uninstalled both and just loaded the latest.
Do you see any connection with them in the task bar and any actions you take?

trachy
11-13-2003, 03:58 AM
The wierd thing is that they don't all appear at once. The extra icons surface only after my machine has been idle for a while. As soon as a hover over them, all but one disappear. I'll have to check to see if I'm starting any extra copies, but I don't believe I am.

asok007
11-13-2003, 04:27 AM
I've had a similar thing happen, but it was after running an ActiveSync reboot program (asreboot.exe). When I run the program, it will reboot ActiveSync and keep the old icon in the system tray (in addition to the new icon) until I hovered over it, then the old icon disappears and the new one stays.

bsr

Itanium
11-13-2003, 11:27 AM
First some clarification about XP behaviour: Call it a normality or abnormality, if some application that has a system tray icon crashes / terminates abnormally its icon does not go away immediately. Infact what happens is that system tray never gets a message tha it shall redraw itself now. It only happens as soon as you get your mouse over that particular icon that XP realizes that this icon has nothing on its back.

So if you are having this phenomenon, for whatever reason your active sync is crashing and relaunching time and again. Now I cant say what can cause that. May be a reinstall would help or you would like a look in Application messages in system event viewer under computer management in XP to have some idea if some logs are created there.

trachy
11-13-2003, 02:11 PM
It sounded like you were onto something there, Itanium. However, I looked in my application log and found no occurrences of ActiveSync errors or warnings. I did see where other applications had crashed, so the log does appear to be functioning properly.

I did upgrade to 3.7.1 last night, incidentally, and haven't seen the icons duplicate since. Who knows what it could be? More a curiosity than anything.

Steven Cedrone
11-13-2003, 03:53 PM
I had that happen on one of my machines. I think I saw the icons show up as I switched from user to user...

Steve

Jon Westfall
11-13-2003, 04:02 PM
MS has had buggy code in the system tray since (at least) win 98 that causes icons to stick around after their EXE ends. Its probably a refresh issue, and since it doesn't cause any problems, they don't bother to track it down. It can be really confusing at times though.