View Full Version : What was the 1st pda you got?

Candygogo
11-12-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm safely assuming that everyone here loves their gadgets, find new uses for them everyday and such. This got me wondering about a few things about everyone here (I'm such the 'nosy Josie') :wink:

What was the 1st pda you've bought/received? Do you still use it?

What was the one or more (if any) that you regretted getting the most?

Do you use more than one right now? Is it difficult/painstaking syncing both (or more) devices all the time?

What is the most extravagant accessory you bought/received for your pda?

How often do you change pdas?

Do you find yourself giving impromptu 'pda lessons' to onlookers while using your device on the train/bus/etc...?

I guess that's enough questions...for now!

Thanks everyone!

Godsongz
11-12-2003, 08:32 PM
I had an Apple Newton back in the, hmm, late 80's - early 90's?? Then nothing for a while, then the Palm m100, then my 3835, then my 2215. The Newton is the only one I don't still have, thought the m100 doesn't get much use at all.

Your username reminds me of Candy Dulfer and her Sax-a-go-go album :)

Dave Beauvais
11-12-2003, 08:53 PM
My PDA history can be found here (http://www.beauvais1.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=7). :)

The one I regret the most is the Uniden Unipro PC100A Palm-size PC. (Followed closely by the Palm m505.)

Do you use more than one right now?
No, I use just my iPAQ h5455 now.

Vaja I-Volution Morpheus III (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,10394) case.

Only when something new comes out that suits my needs better than what I have now or my current gadget breaks. I'm not the type to just upgrade because something new came out. There is nothing out right now that offers anything compelling enough to make me want to upgrade. My h5455 is great!

Do you find yourself giving impromptu 'pda lessons' ...
Alas, yes. :) Most amusing to me -- but not to salespeople in stores -- is when I show other customers what a Pocket PC can do after the salesperson has just tried to sell them a Palm. ;) This doesn't happen veyr often, though.

ntractv
11-12-2003, 09:06 PM
My very first PDA was the Sharp Zaurus 5800 w/fax attachment. It had a clam shell design and I it was a good little device. Would not fit in your pocket and actually now that I remember it, it was kinda of heavy.

Doug Rausch
11-12-2003, 09:20 PM
My first was also a Newton - still have it and it still works. I pull it out now and then to marvel over how far we've come in just a few years, also how far ahead of the pack Apple was at that time. I didn't have anything for a while, I just couldn't do the palm thing, but finally got an Aero 1550, which I also still have and which still works. My wife actually uses it, I can't convince her to let me buy her a new one - she says its good enough for what she needs. She even uses it as her alarm clock, the alarms haven't failed yet and its loud enough to wake the dead. I'm currently using an ipaq 3635. Its been to pocketpc techs to get a memory upgrade and I've upgraded the OS to 2002 but other than that its still stock. I keep eyeballing each new model that comes out and think its time to move on but the 3635 is still doing what I need. Maybe I just need to break it to give myself an excuse. :D

Kevin C. Tofel
11-12-2003, 09:23 PM
First true PDA was a color Compaq Aero 2130 in January of 2000. It was a discontinued model that I purchased for a mere $200 after a rebate.

KCT

pocketpcfox
11-12-2003, 09:36 PM
My first PDA was a Jornada 548... I'm always amazed that people report using *their* 548 as a bookend, since I'm still using mine, as a suppliment to my new Ipaq 2210. In fact, I'm taking advantage of the 548 with its Targa keyboard to input info quickly, and then just beam it over to the 2210.

jpmierau
11-12-2003, 09:42 PM
... followed by:

Philips Velo 500
Casio A20
Palm V
Another Velo 500
Jornada 548
Palm III (I know, I got this backwards :D
Jornada 565
Sony Clie T-somethingorother :?
Jornada 568
Axim X5
Tungsten E

... still use the Jornada 568 more'n anything else... but the Palm V is a workhorse!

Pat Logsdon
11-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Casio Cassiopeia E-10, which is sitting in the bottom of a file drawer in its vinyl and cardboard slipper. :mrgreen:

I've never regretted any of my PPC purchases!

Nope - just my Axim X5.

I bought a Haicom 303MMF GPS receiver (http://www.semsons.com/haicmulgpsre.html) for about $250. That took a bit of explaining... :wink:

These days, about a year and a half. So that means I'll get a new one in 6 months! 8)

Do you find yourself giving impromptu 'pda lessons' to onlookers while using your device on the train/bus/etc...?
YES. I go to Starbucks every day to devour a Frapuccino and do some writing, and I get asked about my Axim about once a week. I'll talk to anyone who's interested for as long as they're interested. :mrgreen:

dean_shan
11-12-2003, 10:23 PM
A Handspring. I do not use it anyway. I turned it into a gameboy and gave it to my brother.

Do you use more than one right now? Is it difficult/painstaking syncing both (or more) devices all the time?
No I only use one. I think it would be crazy to have two at once.

Not very often

Yes. You have to train people to love PPC and not Palm.

Jeff Song
11-12-2003, 10:41 PM
My first was a Handspring Visor with an amazing 2mb RAM, black and white screen, and the ever so cool green light :D Then I moved on the Casio EM500, best indoor screen to date. I got sick of the 16mb of RAM so I got the iPaq 3835. The screen was horrible, but everything else was so cool! Then SOny decided to come out with the NR70. I got that one, then when the Sony Clie NX70v came out I upgraded to that. Now I have the iPaq 2215 and haven't been happier with a PDA.

I would have to say that I didn't regret any of my purchases. All of them were great.

No, I use just my iPAQ h2215 now.

Probably my keyboard or EB slipper case.

I do when I find that my current PDA is getting old and something a lot nicer is offered. I then upgrade. For now, my 2215 has served me well, but I wonder how those VGA screens are doing...

All the time. I'll be at best buy and show people how to use the PDAs. Also when my friends or family plays with it, I show them some cool tricks. Yea, I'm a nerd :p

szamot
11-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Palm Professional, followed by: - still have it
Palm Professional - again - still have it
Palm III - still have it
Palm IIIC - gave to my wife
Palm IIIc again - gave to my wife
Palm Vx - gave to my brother
Palm 505 - sold
iPAQ 3850 - warranty exchange
Axim x5 - sold
iPAQ 5450 - still use it

nope but I still have it, it is very nostalgic to pick it up everyonce in a while

6-8 months

sometimes, depends how ignorant they are.

ux4484
11-12-2003, 11:08 PM
What was the 1st PDA you've bought/received? Do you still use it?
Vtech Helio, bought three, broke one, gave one as gift, sold the other one

HP Jornada 520 used, I learned PPC, but unfortunately I learned a lot I didn't like....until they got faster that is ;)

Yes, Dell Axim/Handspring Visor Deluxe, the Mrs uses one HS, the other is the kitchen counter address book. No troubles syncing both, as long as you use Pocket Mirror and drop Palm Desktop.

What is the most extravagant accessory you bought/received for your PDA?
Most Expensive: Dell keyboard, most extravagant (i.e. didn't NEED it) CF WiFi card.

Three years, Three NEW PDA's....not exactly on the year anniversary, but pretty close....though I think the Axim will make it beyond the year mark.

I did with my Helio and Visor....but that's because they were inexpensive ($50/80 respectively) I don't with the Dell because I tend to guard things of greater value from onlookers :D ;) Though I do show friends pictures on it quite often.

Candygogo
11-13-2003, 12:55 AM
From ntractv:
<My very first PDA was the Sharp Zaurus 5800 w/fax attachment. It had a clam shell design and I it was a good little device. Would not fit in your pocket and actually now that I remember it, it was kinda of heavy.>

A friend of mine had the Zaurus and I was envious! I a small databank--about 48k I think. That what made me get into the pda game

Candygogo
11-13-2003, 01:21 AM
48k Databank (got me started)

Newton Messagepad 100 (with S-l-o-w 2400baud box modem)

Sony Magic Link 1000 (anyone remember THAT?)-Darn thing only took expensive sram cards. Had a keyboard and headset that let you use it like a regular phone.

HP Omnigo (someone gave it to me after he thought it was like an HP 200lx). Cool in that it was the first time I had a pda that could into tablet mode

NEC Mobilepro 450-h/pc 1.0. Bought 14.4 card modem for it. I was SIKED about this thing when I 1st got it. Internet, email, keyboard in my hand?!

Sharp Mobilon 4100-h/pc 2.0

Handspring Visor Deluxe-tricked it out a bit buying the modem, Audible player, Memplug, keyboard and other goodies

Casio BE-300. Semi pocketpc...it was called a 'Pocket Manager' Loved that I was able to find cool video game emulators for it. Had a modem for it.

Sony Clie s360.

HP Jornada 690-Still have that, but then you see that in my sig :wink:

Sony Clie T615. Have TONS of programs for it still.

Audiovox Maestro-Still have

Curently use mostly my Toshiba e740

buckyg
11-13-2003, 02:44 AM
I started on a Casio E-105, then to the E-125, then on to the iPAQ 5455, now a 5555.

Never regretted any of them. Though it helps not to think of all the $ I've spent over time on hardware and software.

I still have all but the oldest Casio, still use both iPAQs. My wife has the older one and I'm the Help Desk/Training Dept. for all things technical in our home.

No set schedule to change PDAs, just when things work out. So far, it hasn't been that often.

I do give impromptu PPC demos at work when people stop by my office and wonder if it's a Palm.

Then there was the time way back when, I was waiting at the garage for the work on my car to be finished. (Sorry, I love this story) I got out my Casio to play a quick game or read an ebook. Something distracted me, I didn't turn it on right away. The guy next to me pulls out his Palm. I didn't know the model number, but it was one of the black and white models.

He turns his on, waves it in front of my face. In a Mr. Bean sort of voice, he says, "Ha, Palm!" I turned on my COLOR model, he does a double take, then starts pulling up the built in programs it had. Boy he had a smug look on his face, as if to say, "Yeah, mine's still better than yours".

I kept my eyes on my PPC and opened Reader to read a book. Then I opened up Windows Media to play a song. Out of the corner of my eye, I see that the guy is fidgeting and I see a few beads of sweat pop out of his foreheard. He's trying to pull up some app. to impress me.

When I opened up an arcade shoot-em-up and started playing, he threw his Palm in his briefcase and stormed away to another seat...

ombu
11-13-2003, 02:52 AM
- Casio DataBank (don't remember available RAM)
- HP 95, 2 MB :lol:
- HP 200 LX (still working, just for fun)
- HP 620
- HP 660
- Palm Vx :oops:
- Jornada 548
- Jornada 568 (main PDA right now)
- iPaq 1910 (weekend PDA 8) )

Now kill me, I'll get a smart phone, I think there's the future. :twisted:

Regards.

OSUKid7
11-13-2003, 02:55 AM
Compaq iPaq H3650...my mom's using it now

None really...except I wouldn't have gotten a BT this time...have only used it 2 times since I bought it.

Nope, just my H3870.

Not much really...all I have is a PC Card Plus backpack, a WL110 WiFi PC Card, and 128 and 256 MB SD cards.

Not very often...seeing as I'm a student, finding enough money to buy one (or to convince my parents to buy one for me) isn't that easy.

Somewhat...but more so with other computer products.

Oh, and a question not asked...
What would your next PDA be?
I'd really like one of the iPaq 6xxx series...can't wait till the start producing those...that will likely be my next PDA. Would love to have a cell phone integrated into my iPaq. They just need to find better battery life first.

maximus
11-13-2003, 02:56 AM

Axim X5. Yes, still using it.

I wish I had bought the axim 6 month earlier ? :mrgreen:

Yes, I just received a company-issued XDA II.
No problem sync-ing, because I don't sync :mrgreen:
I use my PPCs mostly for GPRS, ICQ, SMS, browsing, writing report, oggs, divxs, games, viewing pictures I took on digital camera, contacts.

An audiovox GPRS card for the axim for about USD350.

Not too often. But I am really looking forward for the axim X7, especially if there is a X7 PPCPE edition with CF. The XDA II is cool, too bad it does not have CF slot, and the CF jacket is simply too thick. It will make a good birthday present to a friend.

During the first several months I have the axim, I 'became' a PPC salesman. People in the office, MRT, malls, etc. are inquiring about the device. DELL had a 'customer-get-customer' program in singapore, and so far I have referred 47 buying customers to them (for every 10 buying customers we referred, we get a S$100 discount to our next DELL purchase) .. so I already got S$470 discount, I guess my next X7 will be free :D

Thanks everyone!

Yer welkam :D

g0097
11-13-2003, 02:58 AM
What was the 1st PDA you've bought/received? Do you still use it?

Handsprig Visor 2mb with a gotype keyboard. I loved that little beauty to death! Everyone thought it was a little laptop attached to its keyboard. I hated that I could not transfer what I typed on the pda without a computer however. I would never even dream of using it today...no way!

Jornada 525...made no sense and I hated it, Casio made a really cheap one that looked like a Pocket PC but was really not one that I hated also.

Call me a heritic but I only use my Sony P800 right now. I can't stand the current resolution of current Pocket PCs but I dont like it enough to get a Palm. I am waiting untill OS^ for palm comes out and 2004 for Pocket PC. Untill then I am suffering but making it day by day.....

What is the most extravagant accessory you bought/received for your PDA?

When I brought a Jornada 568 with a PC Card sled, snap on tumb keyboad, CF camera, and 256mb SD card all at the same time I knew I had crossed a line, I just was not sure which one....
:D

Although I think I keep them forever the longest any have lastested is 6 months.

My goodness....CompUsa and Best Buy owe me serious money. I have literally made sales for these people while I was hanging out in the pda section. I have talked people who came in looking at some 99 dollar joke from palm into a 299 dollar joke from palm...(hehe just kidding). I have also talked people into lower price purchase though because it was obvious what they wanted to do with thier pda was way less than the machine they were buying. My friends do not complain about anything to me because they know my first sentence will start with: "You know, if you had a pda......" :D

Thinkingmandavid
11-13-2003, 03:08 AM
First pda was an IBM 3c

I have the goal of one pda per year :wink:

I regret buying that IBM piece of crap.

case, haha, soon keyboard:)

yes on the lessons 8)

kiwi
11-13-2003, 03:14 AM

I think it was a Psion 5 !! It really was ahead of its time. (The Psion O/S became what we now know as Symbian). I was involved in the User Group meetings in London, UK a few times. It was great. Even had a spell check for the WORD application and a great Mapping program. I really wanted that device in a Palm style form factor. I moved on to PPC when the platform got "rich" - ie. Ipaq 36XX series

Nope.. I have looked at Palm/Sony devices but not for me

It was nearly eavery 6 months at one stage with the early PalmSize PCs but now its 12-18 months. I upgraded from a HP 568 to a 2210

Solarix
11-13-2003, 03:15 AM
PDA History:

HP Jornada 430SE
Handspring Visor
Handspring Visor Prisim
Casio E-125
Compaq iPaq 3950

CTSLICK
11-13-2003, 03:19 AM
Sharp Wizard, retired after having been used by me for 6 months and by a friend for another 6 months. My kids mess with it occasionally.

Happily, I have been pleased with all of them (After the Wizard its was. Palm IIIx, EM-500 and now an X5 Advanced)

I just use my X5

WiFi CF Card but the RhinoSkin Ti hardcase is coming soon!

Historically...about 1.5 to 2 years....the X5 may not last that long, the next crop of PDA's looks promising.

Yes...we just got 10 new Hitachi G1000, I had to help our IT dept explain some of the functionality to their new "owners". More than once I have assisted somebody at the PDA counter at CompUSA or Best Buy. Had a 2 hours help session on a flight one time. By the time we landed I had her synching with her laptop loaded several Excel and Word docs and a thorough review of the built in apps. I could go on but you get the idea...

Len Egan
11-13-2003, 03:38 AM
In 1990 I got a Sharp Wizard to keep my schedule, contacts and notes. I still have it and gave it to my son. After losing all my data to a drained battery, I lost faith until 2001 when I bought an iPAQ 3650. What a great machine! I might still have it, but got a cracked touchscreen. It seemed more prudent to get a 3835 rather than repair it. When the 2215 came out, I had to have it. I sold my 3835 to a friend to help pay for the 2215. I'll never be without one now.

edgar
11-13-2003, 03:42 AM
My first PDA was an Everex Freestyle.
It fit in my shirt pocket.
It had rechargeable batteries.
It came with a terrific leather slip cover.
It ran Windows CE.
They went out of business (at least the PDA business).

Tierran
11-13-2003, 03:43 AM

The first one I got was a Palm IIIxe that I purchased myself over eBay. It went back on eBay long ago ;)

I've never regretted any one of my PDAs

Nope

I'd have to say that it would be the custom Vaja I have for my e740 currently. It was pretty expensive...and I got it on sale 8O

Well, I went from my PalmIIIxe to my Jornada in a year and then I went from the Jornada to my current e740 also in a year. Both times the change was prompted soley when there were problems with the device itself. I guess I change as often as they don't work.

Yeah, every time I go home I show my dad how to do new things with his Jornada (He inherited my 565 as the only problem is a bad headphone jack). Trying to get my mom to go digital with my dad's old Visor since she says she carries around a lot of big things in her purse that she wouldn't mind going without.

trachy
11-13-2003, 03:57 AM

My first was a Handspring Visor. Basic 2mb edition that served me well until I broke the screen.

No regrets to speak of.

No, but I do synch it with two different computers, which is often a hassle.

I bought an SD sleeve and wifi card, which I turned around and sold a week later. Couldn't justify it.

After I broke screen on my Visor I went without for a couple of years. I probably wouldn't have bought another PDA if my wife hadn't given me my 3835 for Christmas last year. Next up - an MPx200!

No, but I get plenty of looks. People always assume I'm playing games. I am, of course, but that's besides the point. ;-)

GetAFix
11-13-2003, 04:02 AM
My first PDA was a Casio B.O.S.S. with 128KB. That worked fine for first few month and then it
crapped out. After a while I got the Palm Professional (made by US Robotics) from my company.
I used that till December of last year. In Dec last year it got stolen along with my laptop.
Then I got a palm M515. It was my first color PDA and I was happy with it till I saw the (then) new HP
IPAQ1910. And I wanted to get one badly. I waited for a few months till 2215 came out. I gave my
M515 to my sister and got myself the 2215 and that's the only PDA I use right now.

The one I sort of regret getting is the Casio BOSS PDA. But then I bought it in 94 and palm was
not even on the horizon then.

The most extravagant accessory that I bought for my PDA is the Proporta aluminum case for my
2215 and I'm very happy with it.

I change my PDAs, only when the new technology is superior then the one I'm using. For
Instance; I will think about getting the next PDA when they support native VGA resolution

I'm a Pocket PC evangelist. (That pretty much answers the last question :-) )

JustinGTP
11-13-2003, 04:03 AM
The first PDA I have bought is my brand new HP iPAQ 2215; and yes I still use it!
Well, I have only bought the one iPAQ, and there is nothing to regret about this little beast! :D
No, only one, it would get too confusing with more than one!
My iPAQ foldable keyboard that cost me 180Can, very very expensive for a keyboard...
I really want to do it when I feel is necessary, I wouldn't want to waste any money now!
He he he, all the time. My biggest thing is getting through to people that it is not A PALM! I have to explain that PPC is way better and just to call it Bob, many people cannot get their heads around the Palm thing. But this makes them wrong twice you see, they call it a Palm, when its actually a PPC, and they called Palm, Palm, when it is actually PalmOne! (I now know that thanks to Thinkingmandavid and his constant reminder! :D

-Justin.

8)

Prevost
11-13-2003, 04:18 AM
Could a Casio FX-850P be considered a PDA???

Yes, it had no PDA functions, but I used it as a computer since it had space for 10 programs written by the owner in BASIC.

I used it for writting programs to solve a range of problems in Hydraulics and Structural Analisys while in college.

It was roughly twice the size of a modern PDA (I guess there where not even Palms those days back in 1990) and had a qwerty board for easy entering of BASIC commands.

This brings to me really nice memories.

ikesler
11-13-2003, 04:20 AM
Sharp 5800 and Apple Newton....... those were the first two......

Since then I have had 3 diff. palms..... a Psion Revo... a Psion Series 5.... an Ipaq 3600, 1910 and now a 4155......

I upgrade as soon as I can if the new one is better/more useful than my current device.....

Only one device at a time as it does Everything for me!

No regrets...... they each are special in their own way! :mrgreen:

jasondearyou
11-13-2003, 04:22 AM
0X Hmmm. my first star trek type button presser type thing umajib was the Casio BE300, man, it was like heaven come down to earth :clap: , then a year later, i got the ....man, i can't say it....heaven sent of hand helds....man this 2215 blew my mind, and the confusion caused by the difference of the two 2210/2215 didn't help much. :twak: I think am gonna wait a while before i divorce this one, maybe like at least two to three years. If we last that long.

quidproquo
11-13-2003, 04:28 AM
Ah.... my first "device" was a Radio Shack brand organizer with a whopping 32K of memory. It was a fairly small claimshell type device with the left half of the upper shell an LCD display and the right half a number pad.
The lower part of the claim shell was the qwerty keyboard (very small keys) with some other buttons like memo, time, calendar, contact....

Then I upgraged to a whopping 128K with the Casio BOSS..... sleek looking and a very nice organizer. Another LCD clam shell. These were both in the late 80's / early 90's.
Then I went without for a while... and got a Palm Pilot Pro in 1997. The touch screen was cool!
Held onto that for a looooonnnnngg time....and then bought an M-100... then regretted the next day (the reverse backlight was nasty :razz: ) and took it back. And I got a Compaq iPAQ when they first came out.

Now I use a T-Mobile PPCPE and love having all in one device. I will never go back to a device and a phone separate. Having the phone and PDA in one is the best! :rock on dude!:

Leehro
11-13-2003, 04:35 AM

Philips Velo 500. Nope, it broke at the hinge a couple years ago.

I had a workpad z50 which i bought when they were on clearance. never really found a good use for it, and then the ipaq came along

sort of. I have two - my ipaq 5555 and my clio 1050. the clio isn't used for very much other than web browsing or occasional terminal service logins. so i don't have to sync it, and i rarely sync my ipaq anyways.

well i bought a nexicam but never used it. though i guess the pc card hard drive was extravagant too. still none of them compare in price to the 340MB microdrive i got for my casio e100 back in 1999. i drooled over so much storage :mrgreen:

Seems to be every 6-12 months nowadays.

nope. don't use it in public that much though!

yay memories

pdantic
11-13-2003, 04:58 AM
I'm safely assuming that everyone here loves their gadgets, find new uses for them everyday and such. This got me wondering about a few things about everyone here (I'm such the 'nosy Josie') :wink:

Apple Newton MessagePad which I got at MacWorld Boston in August of 1993! No, I don't have it anymore...

The Toshiba e740. I really hated that Pocket PC!

Yep. I currently use an iPaq 2215, a palmOne Tungsten T3 and a Nokia 3650, and every once in a while the damned things go into sync hell...

Hmmm...must have been the Apple PowerBook G4 I bought so I could have a laptop with built-in Bluetooth that really works with my other Bluetooth toys!

All the frickin' time. eBay's a great place to sell 'em when I'm through with them...

Not as often as I used to. I ride light rail to work every day, and it's amazing how many people are reading eBooks on their PDAs these days. On occasion I still get looks when I haul out a new Pocket PC or palmOne device that someone doesn't recognize.

Thanks everyone!

arnage2
11-13-2003, 05:08 AM
i have had way too many pdas since june 2001. (in order) Handspring visor dlxe, sony clie s320, 3 palm m125's (they all broke), ipaq 3835, clie nr70v/u, ipaq 3955, tungsten t, toshiba e355, palm zire 71, ipaq 2215, tungsten t3, clie Nx73, toshiba e405, and now a toshiba e755 wifi.
No b.s. I guess my expectations are sky high.

Paul Martin
11-13-2003, 05:25 AM

It's hard to say. I think the first that got me started, though not technically a PDA, was the Canon LC cardquartz LC-61T II (http://www.datamath.org/Related/Canon/LC-61T.htm). Mine is similar to the one in the picture, but it's black. I sat with it in my pocket a few years ago and it doesn't work anymore. A close second would be a Casio Databank watch. These two really development my interest in small, portable data. Later, these were followed by a Compaq C140 (CE1 device), a Philips Nino (CE2), a Palm III (I just got it to test my Avantgo channels - it was a $20 buy from a friend), Jornada 568, and lately a Palm Vx. I always liked the looks of the Palm Vx and just wanted to have one to play with. All of my buys have been either closeouts, firesales, or other great bargains.

I haven't really regretted any of them. I was frustrated that Philips left the market after the beautiful Nino, but the device was great! My wife still uses it.

I main PDA is the Jornada. I do carry the Palm Vx around in my bag to play with, but no serious work yet.

Probably the digital camera for the Jornada. It's a lot of fun!

At this rate, about every 2.3-3 years, depending upon if I can afford a newer one. Usually this means one that is going on closeout after new units are released.

On some occasions. Mostly, it's been helping friends to learn to use a PDA. I try to gage what PDA would be best for them, not just sticking with a Pocket PC. Still, it's my favorite and I'm biased. :wink:

rcecme
11-13-2003, 05:26 AM
My first was the Compaq Ipaq 3650 back in April 2001.

Sold in September 2001 and purchased Compaq Ipaq 3835.

Sold that in October 2003 and now have the HP IPAQ 5555.

By far the 3650 seemed to be the better constructed of the 3. I am not nearly as pleased with HP's Ipaq. It feels like it is not as sturdy as the other two.

Oh, almost forgot, my first foray into PDA nirvana was purchasing the Franklin eBookman. Quickly returned that for a full refund!!!!! I don;t even think that qualifies as a PDA does it??????

Johannes
11-13-2003, 05:33 AM

A Compaq Aero 1500. I used it until last year when I bought a new laptop without a serial port, and the Compaq port replicator didn't work so well with it.

I tried a Clie SJ-30 out last year. It was a nice device, but didn't have all of the functionality I wanted. So I rapidly switched back to Pocket PC.

I'm shifting everything from my E310 to my Ipaq 5550. So I'm really just using the new one.

A nice leather case. Haven't really gone too wild yet. :)

I would like to be able to afford to change every few months, but that isn't going to happen. I try to buy ones that will last a long time.

All the time. At this point I also serve as the "technical advisor" to three of the Deans at my Seminary.

tanalasta
11-13-2003, 06:12 AM
Toshiba e310 on sale at the beginning of the year. Of course I still use it! I can't afford another and it's all i really need really.

A 64MB SD card because it wasn't long before I upgraded to a 128MB and now it's just sitting there. Oh, and Harrison's manual of Medicine... i had accidently clicked the purchase button and decided to go through with it.

I use my bro's IPAQ 3600 every now and then. I only sync avantGo so it's no problem. I don't like how activesync does files so i turned the option off. Definitely don't want to sync the entire my documents folder and most of my stuff is on a memory card anyway.

Hahaha... I'm still saving up for that innopocket case.

I'll change as soon as I get my first paycheck in a couple of years.

Occasionally. More showing off what I can do/see with it than giving lessons! Not everybody has one yet.

marlof
11-13-2003, 06:53 AM
A Philips Velo 1. And the upgrade to Windows CE 2.0. I don't use it anymore, since the hinge broke, and now it won't start up anymore. I still like the looks though. From there I went through a Jornada 548 (still working), a Compaq iPAQ 3670 (still working), a HP Jornada 928 WDA (don't know where that's at), a Compaq iPAQ 3870 (still working) a Dell Axim X5 (still working) and now a HP iPAQ 2210.

The HP Jornada 928 WDA. It was a good Pocket PC, but totally unreliable as a phone. It didn't last long.

No, I keep one filled with data (currently an HP iPAQ 2210) and one for testing (currently a Dell Axim X5 upgraded to WM2003).

That would be the Socket Bluetooth GPS unit.

About once a year I feel the "need" of changing devices...

Yes, but not that often.

cherring
11-13-2003, 07:03 AM
My fisrt was a casio E100, my next and latest is a casio E200. I guess I'm just brand loyal.

Don Tolson
11-13-2003, 07:27 AM
My very first 'PDA' was an electronic memo/phone book/contact list gadget that I picked up from a door-to-door salesman at the office for about $40 (CDN). It had 3 lines of about 10 characters black on grey LCD and would hold about 50 phone numbers. I think it may have had maybe 4K of memory.

No...I didn't keep it around. That was a Looonnnnggg time ago -- before I met my wife, and we've been together (courting and married) for over 14 years now.

Brad Adrian
11-13-2003, 07:50 AM
What was the 1st pda you've bought/received?
In 1990, a Casio with 64kb of memory
Do you still use it?
Yeah, right.
I've loved most of the ones (15+) I've had over the years. The thing that's bothered me the most has been the ones that got dust under that screens very easily.
I have two that I switch back and forth between on a daily basis. I have two or three others that I keep constantly synched. It's not really too difficult keeping everything up to date, but I do have to occasionally make sure I synch all the files on my PC in the various \my documents\ folders.
High-capacity memory cards and PCMCIA drives
As often as possible!
Absolutely! I love nothing more than to hang out at the local BestBuy or Circuit City and wait for opportunities to *help* customers, especially since the sales people generally have no idea how to use a Pocket PC or that they are actually different from Palms.

mxm
11-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Back in 1995 I bought the HP omnigo 100
The HP omnigo 100: the keyboard was awfull, it was pretty heavy and in comparison with the size of the PDA, the screen was tiny, oh and back then, sync cables where accessories, which you had to buy separate (cost me $70,-). I returned the unit after 1 month.

No, I've always been wondering why people would use 2 PDA's

Nothing to extravagant; I bought a 1Gb CF solid state card and payed $350. That was pretty extravagant for me.

I've had 4 different PDA's the last year, so thats every 3 months, but I'm hoping to stick with my Ipaq 2210 for a little while longer.

caywen
11-13-2003, 08:27 AM
I remember using my first PDA in the back seat of my Camaro. It was a sweet little PDA, and the newness of the experience made it that much more exciting. I had my hands all over its buttons and caressed its sync cable port gently. Slowly, I inserted my SD card into its slot...

spikedrabbit
11-13-2003, 08:40 AM
I remember using my first PDA in the back seat of my Camaro. It was a sweet little PDA, and the newness of the experience made it that much more exciting. I had my hands all over its buttons and caressed its sync cable port gently. Slowly, I inserted my SD card into its slot...

My first experience was quite similar. I picked her up from the store, sped home and ran up the stairs to my room and sat and fondled for hours.

Snail
11-13-2003, 09:46 AM
To add to Prevost's comment, I've still got a 20-year old Casio FX700 programmable calculator, with 1K of memory. I still use it! My first "real" PDA was an Apple MessagePad 110, which I still shed a tear for occasionally :angel:

That would be the Casio EM500. It really was no better then the E105 I was looking to replace at the time.

Nope. My current slave is a Sony NX73 (sorry chaps!)... I can't see the point of carrying 2 PDA's in my pockets

Too often! I tend to buy a new one every 6-8 months, and sell the old one on - not good for the bank balance, but you have to have the latest and greatest, don't you?

Yep. It's amazing how ignorant some so-called "salesmen" can be when you're looking to buy a PDA...

agyger
11-13-2003, 10:32 AM

My first PDA was a Psion Series 5 that I bought in February 1998. I still use it sometimes because of its great keyboard. Last year I bought my second one, a Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox 600.

I have no regrets

Probably the Piel Frama case for my Loox.

I don't change that often. I used my Psion for 4.5 years, but I doubt that I'll use my Loox as long as that.

I explained some of the functions to my friends and relatives, but otherwise I never had to give "pda lessons".

PR.
11-13-2003, 10:52 AM
After the string of organisers my first PDA was a Psion Series 3c 1mb, I sold it off after buying the Psion Series 5 then 5MX

That would be the Handspring Visor Delux, after using the 5mx for over a year I found the PalmOS slow and clunky and the low res screen made it look awful, then there were the slide in attachments that never took off on top of that it had the Defrag memory error that could cause the device to hard reset if the memory got too full, the 'fix' resulted in it going through AAA batteries every 48hours

Probably the dual PC Card sleeve for my older Ipaq 3650, I don't use it too often either :roll: cheapest would be my Stowaway I paid £30 for brand new after the online shop I got it from sent me the stowaway instead of the HP branded slideout keyboard :D

Nope, its just not realistic, after using the Visor I tried switching but ended up carrying both the Psion and the Visor, in the end the Visor returned to its box and has stayed stayed under my bed ever since

Last time I changed was from my old Ipaq 3650 to the Ipaq 5450, I only really upgrade if there is something worth upgrading to

Yep. Mostly during meetings when the Stowaway comes out :)

bridgecrosser
11-13-2003, 11:09 AM
1st PDA: Palm V. I gave it to my brother.

Regrets: Casio E125; Clie 610. Owned both at same time and didn't really like either.

Acccessory: Vaja case for my iPaq 3700

I use only 1 now, although I have used a Palm and PPC at the same time before. It's fun syncing!!

I change my PDA every couple of years, depending on what's out there.

I enjoy teaching others about the PDA and its many uses. Most people marvel that such a little device can do so much!

cessquill
11-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Psion 3c. Fabulous machine. It still handles agenda and tasks better than pocket outlook. Sold it on to a friend to buy a Series 5, which is now nursing a broken hinge in the bottom of a cupboard, after 'upgrading' to a 3870

No

BT GPS Unit, although I use it most days.

Every few years.

In the pub, mainly, yes. The whole bar gets worried when I put the GPS software into demo mode and it starts shouting out "turn left" instructions.

jayman
11-13-2003, 11:46 AM
CASIO DATACARD

13 years ago in 1989
I had a credit card sized PDA which I used to cheat in all my exams!
Well I say cheat - but lets face it I was an early adopter of technology
and thus I consider it more intelligent than simple cheating.
Thinking back - that was perfect form and function:

P - Personal - It was exactly the size of a stack of five credit cards.
D - Digital - It ran on a watch battery and that lasted for years!!
A - Assistant - Hey it remembered all the **** I couldn't !!!

Man find me one on ebay I want to go back to basics!!

Jayman

koriel
11-13-2003, 11:48 AM
Psion Organiser I ..... sigh .... the simple beauty of an alphabetically organised keyboard. The complete inability to develop a decent typing speed.

I've even still got it. I admit I don't use it much, but my father-in-law uses his as a data logger on a daily basis.

LightMan
11-13-2003, 12:01 PM
My 1st one was a Compaq Aero 1500 some 3 years ago... great machine that was (at the time, of course) Very slim and quite fast :)

After that, Jornada 548, Jornada 568, Ipaq 1910, Ipaq 2215 (current PDA and VERY, VERY happy with it)

KiLLiN-TiMe
11-13-2003, 12:28 PM
I don't know if I would call it a pda or not but it had all of the basic function. My first "pda" was a Casio 64k BOSS.

Phoenix
11-13-2003, 12:45 PM
My very first one was a Sharp Zaurus clamshell about nine or ten years ago. The old ones that were around $400 with a black and white, pen sensitive touch screen. Cool little device. But I returned it and got my money back because I felt it wasn't quite what I wanted.

Shortly after, I moved to an Apple Newton Messagepad 120. Had that for quite some time. A few years actually. Great handheld. Apart from the ones I have now, I really have fond memories of that handheld. It didn't have a backlit screen, but it really served me well for a long time and I remember everything about it like it was yesterday. I had this collapsable gold stylus for it and some great software. I later gave it to an old friend, but sometimes wish I hadn't. Great piece. But before I gave it away, I tried to move to a Newton 2100, but that never happened - it was too expensive for me at the time.

Afterwards, about seven or eight years ago, I was going to move a Simon. Does anyone remember those? They were really ahead of their time. But before I could save up the money, they were discontinued. So I moved to a Palm V instead. Thin, sleek, sexy. Cool piece and had some fun with it. Later, I returned it and got my money back because I wasn't fulfilled by it.

Then I moved to a Compaq 2015C Clamshell Handheld PC with a color screen, PC Card slot, and a built in 33.6 modem and keyboard. Great piece, but it was too bulky, so it got little use. I later sold it. But I remember buying it, lol... I rode a bus late at night a long distance and walked part way in the rain to an Office Depot to buy it. Yeah, those were the days. :lol:

Then I moved to a Compaq iPAQ 3650. Loved using that for awhile, but later sold it, too.

And now I have an HP iPAQ 2215 PPC with a black leather Vaja wallet case, a Socket WiFi SD card, a WriteSHIELD screen protector, an extra battery, a 256MB Lexar CF card, a Stowaway XT keyboard, a ZipLinq retractable data sync and power cable, and a great selection of software.

I also had a SonyEricsson P800 phone/PDA hybrid recently, which I really liked, but I sold that, and have now moved on to its successor, a SonyEricsson P900, with a black leather Krussel Horizontic case, a 128MB Sony memory stick Duo card, a Nextlink Digital Bluespoon Gold wireless BT earpiece, and great software for that as well.

I can't say I regret any of my purchases. They all served me well.

As far as my most expensive accessory? I'd have to say the Digital Bluespoon for my P900!

And yes, I've given some impromptu lessons here and there with my handhelds. Not many, but it's fun to do! Most of the time, though, I think people are too embarrassed to come up and ask about it, but more often than that, I think most people don't care because these devices are so much more common now.

My fondest memories, at least for now, are of my Apple Newton Messagepad 120. I had it the longest, and it served me through some tough times.

But my HP iPAQ 2215 and my Sony Ericsson P900 - my seventh and eighth pieces and without a doubt the best yet!

:beer:

piperpilot
11-13-2003, 01:33 PM
My first was an H3850 iPAQ. Last year for Christmas, my husband bought me a Sony Clie, which never made it out of the box. I talked him into returning it and getting me an H5455 iPAQ, which I am still using today, although I am anticipating getting a new 6000 series iPAQ when they come out. I sold the H3850 to a work colleague. It's still around, but it spends most of its time in the cradle and really only gets used by my colleague for its calendar function and playing Freecell, which I bought and installed for her.

The Clie, but like I said, I never used it. Otherwise, I regret nothing when it comes to my PPCs.

The spare battery and battery charger.

No. All my attention is devoted to my H5455.

I thought I would have the H5455 for at least a couple of years, but it hasn't even been a year and I'm already anticipating the release of the 6000 series iPAQ. I have made arrangements to sell my H5455 to another coworker.

Absolutely. I've had numerous people on the subway or in the airport ask me about it and I am more than happy to share my enthusiasm for PPCs with inquisitive folks. I also gave a formal presentation about how to use a PPC during a trade show last month.

phillytim
11-13-2003, 01:41 PM

My first PDA was an HP iPaq 1910. I don't currently use it, because the screen is currently broken (tho I will be sending it in for a warranty fix in a bit) and I purchased a new PDA--a Palm Zire 21, which I really enjoy because it has LOOOOOOOONG batterly life! And its easier & more productive to use, as it has less distractions and options.

I do plan on getting the 1910 fixed to use as a game machine.

I don't regret getting either the 1910 or the Zire 21. Though I wished the 1910's SD slot did SDIO, as I'd love to stick a wireless card in there.

I just mainly use the Zire 21 that I previously mentioned. No, because I really only use the ZIre 21 now. And I love the fact that my Zire can sync into my Linux distrobution. [I always have to go into Windows to sync/backup the 1910--that's more of a pain than anything.]

Nothin' so far, really. I used the 1910 bare-bones and naked. Same with the Zire 21. I WOULD purchase a wireless card if either one took one, but they don't. :/

I had the 1910 for a year, before I changed to the Zire 21. I plan on getting one of the new PocketPC's next year, when Windows Mobile 2004 is standard, and 802.11g wireless is integrated. Probably will get another HP iPaq. Although, I will be keeping my eye on what the new Palm OS 6 devices will be like. I REALLY like having a device that I can sync/use with my Linux home computer.

Not yet. I usually walk to work. ;-)

sesummers
11-13-2003, 01:48 PM

Palm Pilot, the 512K model. Died a long time ago.
After that it was the Casiopia E100, then an E115 (Upgrade), then an HP 568, and now an Axim X5.

No

One of those little notebooks with the digitizer pen. Turned out to be pretty useless.

When they break.

Used to, but rarely now. They're so common anymore that nobody cares.

Biggest regret:

The Jornada 568. I had THREE of them because of dust problems, and then the digitizer died just after the warrenty expired, and they wanted more to fix it than I ended up paying for the X5. Now I have a Stowaway keyboard, an extra power supply, an extra sync cable, and a serial cable that are useless. I paid a LOT fot the thing too- over $700 with the accessories added in.

Ed Hansberry
11-13-2003, 01:52 PM

What was the 1st pda you've bought/received? Do you still use it?A Philips Nino 320. Loved it - it came with a modem attachment and I could dial in anywhere and remote ActiveSync (Well, it was Windows CE Services back then) with my desktop. It was ebayed long ago.What was the one or more (if any) that you regretted getting the most?A Nino 510. Should have stuck with the 320. The color screen was nasty.Do you use more than one right now? Is it difficult/painstaking syncing both (or more) devices all the time?I have 2-3 in use, but my 2215 is the main device. Keeping them all in sync is simple.What is the most extravagant accessory you bought/received for your pda?A nearly $80 jacket for my 3800 with CF sleeve.How often do you change pdas?Seems like every 6-8 months, but I've had my 2215 now 5 months and have no interest in switching.Do you find yourself giving impromptu 'pda lessons' to onlookers while using your device on the train/bus/etc...? Yeah, sometimes. :D

suhit
11-13-2003, 02:47 PM
<span class="postbody">What was the 1st pda you've bought/received? Do you still use it?

a Palm IIIx was my first PDA but my first PocketPC was an iPaq 3650, yeah I got into the game really late... And I certainly use them, they are serving my very well as doorstops. 8)

Loved them all :)

I use only the iPaq 2215. Though I one time I had my PDA as well as a Toshiba e740 and it was a royal pain keeping them both sync'ed. And it was especially hard because the Toshiba had such poor battery life that it kept hard reseting so often (i.e. if I forgot to charge it at night). And I never tried syncing my PocketPC with my Palm.

512MB SD and CF WiFi.

At least once every 6 months.

Unfortunately... too many idiots out there. ;)

Yes it is.

TopDog
11-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Nokia 9110... People call it the original SmartPhone, but I think it was a complete PDA in it's time. It got stolen from my car a couple of years ago (kept it as a backup in the trunk)

Not regretted anything :-)

Yes, I use a Dell Axim X5 and a Qtek 7070 SmartPhone, no spesial problems besides an occational hickup with reocurring appointments when syncing(knock on wood!).

Pocketop IR Keyboard.

Once or twice a year.

Not anymore, did before, now I don't bother anymore.

Jon Westfall
11-13-2003, 03:50 PM

My first PDA was a Casio Digital Diary that my mother had but never used. I then went on to Timex Datalink Watches (I originally had at 35 (I think that was the model number), then a 150, and currently a USB datalink). Various dumb cheap Sharp organizers that kept breaking, and finally my first 'real' machine: A Palm m500. Quickly ditched the palm m500 for a m505 (wanted color, got a good deal), then I stayed with the m505 for about 3 years until I bought a T-Mobile Pocket PC (XDA) in July of 2003. Finally, my newest and currently-used PDA is an XDA II (i-mate) which I got about 8 days ago.

Not really, they all did what I needed when I needed it.
The old XDA is still hanging around my house, though I'm not using it right now. I stick to one PDA at a time.

GPS receivers that I rarely use but think are really cool.
Varies from 1 month to 3 years, I think i'll be with my XDA II for awhile.
I show off when I know others are gawking. Voice command seems to get the most impressed looks, as does watching music videos.
Most likely, yes.
Thanks everyone! You're welcome.

carioca76
11-13-2003, 04:10 PM
started with a compaq c120, windows ce 1.0. awesome device, especially for its time 1997 also had a 56 k flex modem I used for email & some web surfing.

went to a palm III, IIIxe, IIIc, sony 615, tungsten t3

haven't been back to ppc, plan to go to full windows os on a minipc when available, possibly the oqo

dh
11-13-2003, 04:27 PM

My first one was a 64MB Casio BOSS. Limited in what it could do, but not bad for the time. I don’t use it now.

HP WinCE 1.0 Clamshell thing. Turned me off MS devices for some time. I wasted money on a 28.8 PCMCIA modem for it as well. My Axim has restored the faith.

Right now I use only my Dell Axim. I still have a Palm Vx which my daughter uses.

Nothing that I think is extravagant since I use everything I have. Some of my accessories are 1GB CF card and Pocketop Keyboard.

I got through the Casio BOSS, HP thing, a Psion, a REX and Palm Vx in about two years. I’ve had my Axim for eight months and will keep it until something new excites me. So far nothing has so I’m waiting for WM2004 and POS 6.0 to arrive next year.

Loved the concept of the REX. It's a shame that it was not developed to it's full potential. I used to sync mine with my 3,000 contact ACT! database and have my contact info with me all the time. That device with color touch screen and Calligrapher would be fantastic - I know just a dream.

From time to time, yes. Sometimes on a flight I might be next to a Palm user who is impressed at how I can listen to music, write reports, read books, answer emails all at much the same time. Watching movies in full screen mode always impresses Palm users as well. Of course music and movies are great for not having to talk to people in the first place. :D

svenllr
11-13-2003, 04:35 PM
My first PDA was that REX PCMCIA thingy. Man, I loved it! It was dinky, had all my info and I could sync it via my notebooks PC Card slot. I still have it in "collectors" box. I then moved on:

* PalmPilot (Winter 1995) -- Upgraded
* PalmPilot Pro (Upgrade Kit -- Spring '96?) -- Sold
* Casio Cassiopeia (Winter '96) -- Threw away (bad digitizer)
* Palm V (Spring '97) -- Sold
* Compaq iPAQ 3600 (Spring '99) -- Gave to brother in-law
* Compaq iPAQ 3800 (Spring '02) -- Gave to wife
* HP iPAQ 5455 (Spring '03) -- Sold
* Palm Tungsten T3 (Fall '03) -- Current

Yup, back to Palm. Wow, I didn't realize I was on the PPC platform for so "long" :) .

There's things I miss of the PPC, but there's things I love of the Palm. So, I'm happy. Guess I'll wait for the all-in-one PDA/Phone iPAQ (or MDA II) to see if I go back to PPC.

AndrewLubinus89
11-13-2003, 04:56 PM
I had an apple newton as my first pda.

suhit
11-13-2003, 04:58 PM
<span class="postbody">What was the 1st pda you've bought/received? Do you still use it?

a Palm IIIx was my first PDA but my first PocketPC was an iPaq 3650, yeah I got into the game really late... And I certainly use them, they are serving my very well as doorstops. 8)

Argh, I just realized that by PDA, one could even list truly old simple digital assistants that only held &lt; 16K of memory and were only used for contacts, i.e. the ones that came straight out of Japan (very nifty for the time). So my truly first PDA was some sort of Sharp thingamajig... some small assistant only used for contacts and reminders. Not very intelligent. Stretching the definition of a PDA, perhaps an old calculator? What is the true definition of a PDA?

Suhit

daS
11-13-2003, 05:12 PM
My first PDA was an HP 95LX back in 1991. Since then (still have them all)...

HP200LX/512K, HP200LX/1M, HP200LX/2M, HP200LX/4M, HP200LX/8M, HP200LX/32M, HP Omnigo 100, HP Omnigo 120, HP Jornada 320, HP Jornada 620, HP Jornada 680, HP Jornada 720, HP Jornda 820, HP iPAQ 5450, HP iPAQ 1940, Casio E10, Casio E200, Casio EM800, Compaq Aero, (and a second Aero with the ROM upgraded to PPC), UR There @migo, Psion 3a, Psion 3c, Palm Pilot Pro, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Tungsten T, Handspring (color something-or-other :wink: ), Rolodex REX-3, Timex data watch (the one you hold up to a CRT to download info into), T-Mobile HTC, Red-e MS Smartphone, and I'm sure a few others that I forgot about (like the Atari Portfolio I bought as a collector's item - being the first "PDA" with a DS prompt.) :?

I've never taken a count, but this quick list is 35 different models! 8O Good thing I'm in the mobile computing business so that these are truely business expenses. :wink:

rhmorrison
11-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Apple Newton MP 130. No, tried to trade it for an old 386 laptop, sent the Newton (which was received by the other party), he NEVER sent the laptop - i.e. HE STOLE MY NEWTON!! :bad-words: :multi:

Then I bought an hp Jornada 525, sold it, bought a Jornada 548, sold it, and bought my current hp Jornada 568 with which I am very happy except I liked the scroll wheel in the 525/548 better than the scroll buttons on the 568.

I've liked every PDA that I have owned (so far).

Yes (and No)... I have a hp Jornada 568, my wife has the Jorndad 565 and we both synch on the same computer but only I synch appointments (so far).

StowAway keyboard and although I don't use it very often it's the best accessory that I have.

Not very often.

YES, this happens quite often especially if they see me watching a movie or a TV show.

claud9999
11-13-2003, 05:33 PM
First PDA: HP 95LX
First Touchscreen PDA: Newton (upgraded later to a 100)
First MS PDA: Cassiopeia E-10

I still have my Newton and Cassiopeia somewhere...

Can you tell I'm an early-adopter?

sylvangale
11-13-2003, 05:42 PM
My first PDA was a Handspring Prism

I severely regretted my Toshiba e335

Just use my h1945 right now.

My Sony Ericsson T616 phone! 8O

When something new catched my eye

Nope... I just tell them it's an organizer that do more things.

Perry Reed
11-13-2003, 06:04 PM
HP 100LX. Great PDA except that it doesn't sync. So I no longer use it.

Since the 100LX, I've owned the following:

HP 320LX
Casio Zoomer (ran GEOS)
Franklin Rex (two of them, broke the screens on both)
HP Jornada 548
HP Jornada 820
Apple Newton MP2000
HP Jornada 568

At times, I've also used the following PDAs bought for my wife:

Handspring Visor
Palm V
iPaq 3635 (I think)
HP Jornada 410

I'm not sure I really regretted any of them per se, but the worst of the bunch were probably the Zoomer (lousy screen and SLOW) and Jornada 410 (lousy OS).

Currently I use the Jornada 568 and Jornada 820. I love the 568, but the 820 has the big screen and great keyboard, which are perfect for writing. I just wish the software were better. No real problems syncing them except that I have to do it one at a time. ActiveSync won't do both at once.[/b]

I'm not sure any one accessory I have is extravagant, but when you add up all of the accessories I have for my Jornada 568, it's a big out of hand:

Targus Stowaway keyboard
HP thumb keyboard
Numerous CF memory cards (256MB, 48MB, 16MB(2))
802.11b CF card
340MB IBM microdrive (and a type II->type I CF adapter)
CF link to my old Motorola StarTac phone
HP camera
Multiple docking cradles, USB cables, and chargers

Not that often, actually. I'm waiting for my personal "Holy Grail" of PDAs-- iPaq with Sprint PCS phone, 802.11, and Bluetooth, and lots of RAM. If they release something like that, I'll switch immediately. Well, as soon as I can talk my wife into letting me...

Regularly. Generally at work or with family or friends.

swdelrosso
11-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Newton (Upgraded to MP100) Still have
Newton 120
Newton 2100
Rex Pro
Everex PPC
HP Jornada 548
iPAQ 3835

None, enjoyed playing with them all!

Only use the iPAQ, just bring out the Newton to see how advanced it was for its day!

Just keyboards, modems & cases. On the fence about a GPS for the iPAQ.
About every 2-3 years. Slowing down now with all the kids to feed at home!

Mainly at work were I've become sort of the in-house expert on PDA's.

SofaTater
11-13-2003, 06:36 PM
PalmPilot Professional. I used it for several years and then went PDA-less until my current HP 1910 (actually, I'm on my second 1910 after the first one was lost about three months after I received it as a Christmas gift).

PoweriPaq
11-13-2003, 06:44 PM
I bought my own Palm 5000, it's in the storage room right now, serves as a memory.

Buying too much Palm PDA while I could just save all the money and stick with Palm 5000 then get a PPC.

Yes, my wife has one too, and it's painstaking to sync both.

Cases and cases. Especially a case that has a built-in CF slot in it.

Every 3 to 5 years.

Yes, especially while I watched Matrix Reloaded, they were aweing on how good the quality is. Even compressed to fit my 256mb card.

guinness
11-13-2003, 06:45 PM
First PDA:
Sharp Memo Master 600 - got that sometime in the early 1990's

First touchscreen PDA:
Texas Instruments Avigo - I bought that in 1998 for $100, it worked fine, but it was limited in what it could do, but at the time, it was a good price.

divajess
11-13-2003, 07:00 PM
I guess it's appropriate that this is my first post, after being a long-time lurker. :D

My first PDA was a Handspring Visor...which broke TWICE. I regretted buying it when a generous friend sent me an old Casio EM-500! I was smitten. That ol' workhorse lasted me quite a long time (over a year, and in the world of ever-changing technology, that's a long time!!)...I was keeping it around to avoid buying a new PPC until I could afford it.

However, my poor EM-500 woke up one day with a dead line of pixels. I was so disappointed! But then, thanks to eBay sales, I purchased an iPAQ 1910 and it's been love ever since. :) My boyfriend uses the Casio and finally has stopped telling me I'm too enamoured with my toys. He's still continually amazed with always being able to have an ebook around or work on his writing with the portable folding keyboard.

I'm pretty darn happy with the 1910, except for, of course, lack of accessories and lack of wireless options. But for everything else, it's ideal. Now, the 4150 is calling my name...

shyloh
11-13-2003, 07:50 PM
Speaking of being a long time lurker. I've followed this site since its inception. WAY BACK.

I started out with a Sharp Mobilon 4100. Loved it to death. Moved up the a 4500 series and from that to a 4600 series. (I had two of them) They went everywhere I went. (as they should) People would always ask me if I had my 'tap top' with me.

From there, I went with a Casia 115, and two 125's.

Recently I purchased a 2215, which I totally love!

The only thing I've regretted is having two of my PDA's stolen over the years. I've given many many lessons. The funnest lessons to give are to salespeople and customers in a store. I've yet to find a salesperson who knew anything about Pocket PC's.

I've never experienced syncing problems, and none of my 'tap tops' have given me any trouble. The only problem I've encountered EVER is having the machine lock up. I can handle that.

Evee Ev
11-13-2003, 07:57 PM
my first handheld was a palm 3. then i got the handspring visor. then the ipaq 3600, now the ipaq 3975. i'm thinkin' about getting the samsung i700 next!

JvanEkris
11-13-2003, 09:29 PM
What was the 1st pda you've bought/received? Do you still use it?A Philips Nino 300 (CE2.11)

What was the one or more (if any) that you regretted getting the most?Never looked back in regret, however i must say i sometimes miss my Jornada 548.....

Do you use more than one right now? Is it difficult/painstaking syncing both (or more) devices all the time?Nope, My Loox is the one and only.......

What is the most extravagant accessory you bought/received for your pda?Leather Vaja case.

How often do you change pdas?Once every 1 1/2 years.

Do you find yourself giving impromptu 'pda lessons' to onlookers while using your device on the train/bus/etc...?At my work:)

Jaap

moaske
11-13-2003, 09:35 PM

For me it all started in 1997 (the birthyear of CE) My first one was a Sharp Zaurus ZR5800 (i count it the first, because it was my first which could exchange info with desktop... not really sync though). A Philips Velo was way too expensive for me then... :(
After that i went fast... (i got a job :mrgreen: ):
Sharp HC4500 Mobilon Handheld PC/CE2.0
Casio E11 PalmSize PC/CE2.01
Casio E105 PsPC/CE2.11
Casio E115 PocketPC 2000/CE3.0 (casio upgrade from E105)
Casio E200 PocketPC 2002/CE3.0
FujitsuSiemens Loox 600 PocketPC 2002/CE3.0
Then i went retro on eBay again:
NEC MobilePro 780 HandheldPC Pro/CE2.12 (only very brief)
Casio EG800 Rugged PocketPC 2000/CE3.0 (bombproof and amped as another forum user calls it :mrgreen: )
HP Jornada 720 HandheldPC 2000/CE3.0 (defenitely wanted a clamshell device again :p )
...seems i'm one of the rare here who has NEVER used Palm OS !
Currently owning: EG800 and the Jornada 720

NONE ! :D The only thing i regret now, is selling so many too finance my tech-addiction ;) (i could have had a complete museum right now).

I currently use only the EG800 and the Jornada 720, and they sync fine :). I'm eagerly awaiting my iPaq 4150 though...

A Vaja custom case 8O Man, are these expensive ! (But just hAD to have one !)

Way too much... It's a good thing i'm still single in that respect; a wife would kick me for buying yet another PDA every 9 months or so !

That happened some times in the past, but as y'all can guess: people look upon me as a complete freak / geek over here... so i'm keeping my tech too myself now. I do help my colleagues out with their new H1910's however (I finally got my boss that far as to let go of his ancient :pukeface: Psion 3 series ;) )

doogald
11-13-2003, 09:43 PM

An Everex Freestyle A10 PsPC. No - but it still works.

Probably the Psion 5mx, which has a (regrettable) design problem with the ribbon cable which connects the screen which failed on me a day after the warranty expired. I kid you not! It is a nice machine otherwise, that's for sure.

No

I just received my Socket CF WiFi card. It has to be that.

I hate to admit this, but about once a year. I'm hoping that this one lasts longer - before this one I have always bought units that were being discontinued.

I hadn't until my last plane flight six weeks ago, when I spent a good 20 minutes walking someone through a decision to buy one for his job.

rob_ocelot
11-13-2003, 09:53 PM
[quote="Candygogo"]I'm safely assuming that everyone here loves their gadgets, find new uses for them everyday and such. This got me wondering about a few things about everyone here (I'm such the 'nosy Josie') :wink:

The granddaddy of them all -- the Atari Portfolio!

Forerunner to the HP200LX DOS based palmtops, and I still use it from time to time.

Runner up is the Tandy PC-100, though I'm not sure if it qualifies as a PDA or not.

Regards,
Rob S.

grogma
11-13-2003, 10:00 PM

Newton MP100, sold long ago followed by
Newton MP120, sold
Palm Pilot Personal, crushed
Palm Pilot Personal, sold
HP 95LX, don't remember
Compaq PC Companion A11, sold
IBM C3 (2MB), sold
Palm Vx, sold
Vadem Clio, still got
IBM C3 (8MB), sold
Palm M505, sold
Compaq 3150, still got
Compaq 3670, still got
Palm M705, still got
Sony NR70V, still got
Sony UX50, still got
Fossil PDA watch, still got

Fossil PDA watch, no contest

Currently using Sony UX50 and iPaq 3670, syncing both actually works pretty well

memory stick video recorder for the UX50

Clearly fairly infrequently :{)

yes but I pretend to not speak English

bjornkeizers
11-13-2003, 10:47 PM

My first real PDA was a Psion Siena, which I used for three months until I bought a brand new Palm Pilot Professional. Those were the days! I later moved on to a IIIe [with the clear housing], and after that, I fell in love with a Philips Nino CE device. I bought a used one, and used it a lot. I loved it. During that time, I also bought my first color device, a Palm IIIC. I bought a Psion Revo, used it for a month, now it's sitting in a box, new and in perfect working order. After that, I bought my first PPC; an Ipaq 3630. Had it for a year, battery broke, sold it, got a J565. I bought a Sony Clie SL10 which is unused. I bought a Palm M130 to replace my IIIC [needed a memory card] Bought a Xircom Rex. Wanted something newer then the J565 two months ago and bought a 1915. Sold the 565.

Hmm. I'd have to say, the Psion Revo. I always wanted a Psion, but could never afford a Series 5. When I heard Psion was getting out of the consumer market, I bought a revo when a local store had them on sale. Think I paid about.. 250 euro for it. Helluva lot of money. More then I payed for my current Ipaq. I never use it.

I use an Ipaq 1915 almost exclusively. I keep my M130 charged, but not using it.

Ohh good question. Well, I'm not an accesory person. The only real extravagant thing I bought is really a necessity. I bought a Proporta aluminium case for my new Ipaq. Proved it worth yesterday when I dropped it. Slightly bent the casing so the lid doesn't shut as tight, but it saved my Ipaq.

Well, read the list. That's all since 1997 or so. I buy two new PDA's a year usually. Sometimes three if they're on sale.

Hell yes. I can't help myself. Everyone is really impressed with the PPC.

jguzman89
11-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Palm m100 (I am kinda new to the PDA world, even so, that one is pretty old.) Gave away to niece for her school projects.

Palm m100

Others owned:
Palm m500
Compaq Ipaq 3650 (Sold)
Hp h2215 (Still using)

eric linsley
11-14-2003, 12:45 AM
My PDA history can be found here .

hp jornada 568, and then a 525 and a handspring delux, a casio something, a palm 500, and handspring edge, 5455 and now a 5555 " iwan my remote back :(

No, I use just my iPAQ h5555. but i have used others in the past

gps pack navman. love it.

about once a year "got to love tap plans"

sigh yes. and i sell em too. at office depot. "

sublime
11-14-2003, 02:19 AM
I'm still a young buck. My first PDA is the 2215, and I've owned it for little over a month...

brianchris
11-14-2003, 03:30 AM
My first PDA was a Sony PIC-1000 powered by the Magic Cap OS (not often mentioned on PPC Thoughts, even in the historical PDA threads). Don't know what the heck that was? A little more information can be found here: http://cdecas.free.fr/computers/pocket/magiclink.php

My next PDA was a Psion series 5. Only reason why I listed two is because I'm not exactly sure of their order (i.e. which one came first), however, I think I got it right.

-Brian

powder2000
11-14-2003, 03:36 AM
I think it was a rolodex with flip lid. The battery kept disconnecting or something because it would hard reset all the time and I would lose everything without a backup. After a few years it was a compaq aero 1520.

madbart
11-14-2003, 05:03 AM

a Palm Pilot 512K was my first PDA but my first PocketPC was an iPaq 3650. No....both sold.

nothing

No

Vaja Billfold Case, Rotring Pen/Stylus

At least once every 12 months.

Everyday.

jgrnt1
11-14-2003, 05:42 AM
- First pda was an old Sharp Wizard. I don't remember which model (circa 1994). I lost it. Next was a Rolodex REX-3 with docking station. I think I still have it in a box somewhere. Then I got a Palm IIIxe -- gave it to an employee. iPAQ 3650 was next -- see extravagant gadget list below -- I gave it to my boss. Toshiba e550g -- see regrets. Currently I have an iPAQ 2215.

- I regret the Toshiba the most, only because of the lack of support and peripherals. The e500g was made by Toshiba Japan, but distributed and supported (hah!) by Audiovox in the US. Toshiba USA wouldn't even talk about them. I was at Comdex last year and showed it to a Toshiba rep. She had never even seen one.

- I have never used more than one PDA at a time. I think I would find it too confusing to keep up with two or more.

- I had all sorts of accessories for the iPAQ 3650.

Silver Slider 2
Krussell Whitney CF sleeve
1GB Microdrive (when they were still $400)
the most extravagant, a 20GB Archos Mini-HD with PC Card interface, CF to PC Card adapter, two power supplies (HD and iPAQ) and a cassette adapter, so I could listen to all my mp3's while driving.

- The other item I guess could be considered extravagant is the current case for my iPAQ 2215. In addition to my PDA, I was still carrying a small planner binder, though I often left it in my car. It held miscellaneous printed materials I could not tranfer to the PDA, my frequent flyer and hotel frequent guest cards, and a few other items. I decided to get a binder to hold my iPAQ and the other stuff. I had tried this with a couple of different binders before, but was never satisfied with them. This time, I ordered an eDESK binder from CASESonline (http://casesonline.com/configurator.php). It was $160, but worth every penny.

- Currently, I'm changing every 1.5 to 2 years.

- I often end up giving "lessons" when people see me using my PDA. Once, I was in an OfficeMax and was approached by a woman who had an iPAQ 1915. She asked all sorts of questions, told me about her kids and her husband's dental practice and then asked me if I would like to come by her house one day and help her with her PDA and PC, while her husband was at work. I politely declined. First time I was every propositioned while I was being geeky.

SteveR
11-14-2003, 07:02 AM
I wasn't going to bother with this, but I didn't see anybody else mention the Casio Zoomer! Its sitting in my "dead technology" drawer...

The Palm Pilot Professional was a disappointment.

iPaq 3970, mostly for development

Lifeview CompactFlash camera, doesn't fit go into the iPaq (no CF slot)and won't work in my %$#@%$ Intermec 700 because the CompactFlash slot is too deep in the unit!

Ketsugi
11-14-2003, 08:43 AM
My first was an HP... something or other. It ran Windows CE 1.0 and has a monochrome screen and a keyboard AND a stylus/touchscreen... I used it for a year or two when I was 16-17. It finally gave out on me (battery failure) and I was PDAless for another year before I got my hands on a test model HP Jornada 540 (I know someone who was on the engineering team for it), and it served me quite faithfully for another several years before I got my Toshiba e310 last year September.

No regrets, since I've never paid for any of my PDAs.

I don't buy accessories for my PDAs because I'm a poor student ;)

I don't have any PDA-buying schedule... I just kinda wait for the next one to fall into my hands, I suppose :D

And lastly, I sometimes get looks from people but no one actually asks me about my PDA. I think my iPod gets me more questions than my Toshiba does.

delfuhd
11-14-2003, 11:09 AM
My first PDA: A Casio Digital Diary SF-R20 with 256k of RAM. w00t! But actually, my first REAL pda was an IBM WorkPad with the first Palm.

I definitely regret none of the past PDA's, the IBM WorkPad is so oldschool that it doesn't matter that it was a Palm. :twisted:

I use a 3850 and a 2215 right now, and I use the 3850 for whatever use I can, but usually it's to play media/movies on long drives or trips, because of it's nice battery, and I have an expansion pack Plus with it, so that helps too :D

The most extravagant accessory is well... Can't think of anything, well besides the fact that I custom made my own cases for my 3850 and my 2215, and I'm currently working on a thin flip cover for my 2215.

axe
11-15-2003, 02:54 AM
My first PDA was the Apple Newton OMP. I sent is away for the firmware upgrade when the 110 came out. Then it got ripped off out of my car :evil: . I was without a PDA for a while, then got a line on another OMP. I still have it and it works fine, though I don't use it.
[anybody wanna buy it]

The most expensive thing I bought for it was the firmware upgrade, though I had a fax/modem (the bastards stole that too) and a flash card.

I now have an iPaq 3650, and use it every minute of the day (who needs a dual monitor when you have a Syncing iPaq?).

The thing I miss most about my Newton -- it really was WAAAYY ahead of its time -- is the ability to have it fix circles & lines and such in a note. Does anyone know of a NOTES add-in to perform this function? I REALLY miss this. I'm always amazed how many features have survived from the Newt though - Graffiti, Transcriber to name a couple :)

AXE

bazza
11-15-2003, 03:05 AM
My first was a Sharp Diary with 256K Ram. It stored contacts and had a basic diary function.

Since then I have had:
HP 545, Hp 568, Compaq 3975, Sony Clie NX-70V, HP 5550, p-800 and T3.

RAM/ROM Screen res and Processor speed have been the sticking points!

Wallabies to beat the All Blacks!!

:werenotworthy:

Ripper014
11-16-2003, 04:51 AM

My First pda was an HP Omnigo.. and no, I no longer have it... it ran on AA batteries with a LCD screen. The design was that of a Clamshell that had the touchscreen on one side and a chicklet style keyboard on the other...

That would be easy the Casio E-10... it had the worse battery life of any unit I have ever owned.

No, I use just my iPAQ HP2215 now.

Probably my Microdrive, at the time it cost me over $400

Not often, my last pda was a Casio E-125 until I got my new HP2210. I waited a long time for something to come along that made me feel that I needed to make the change. Even now I question my decision.

Lol............. without question.. I do demonstrations for friends, family, and even at retail outlets.. its seems users are better equipped to sell Pda's than the retailers...

PocketExpert
11-16-2003, 08:36 PM

Casio E115

Palmax @migo PD600 - kind of a nightmare....

Most of the time I use my HTC Wallaby, but sometimes I feel the need to also take my HP Jornada 690 with me :-)

TomTo, Bluetooth GPS and Navigator

As often as I can lay my hands on a new one....

Yes, isn't that what all of us do ;-)

Skoobouy
11-17-2003, 02:51 PM

An iPaq 3635

The iPaq 3635--I returned it after the dust/floppy door/paint scatches/speaker popping/button problem/battery life all drove me to drink, and I bought a Jornada 548, my *real* first PDA.

Nope. Still waiting for the iPaq 1935.

Vaja case for a Jornada 568. I was really stupid.

Pretty much anually. I'm striving for two years.

Oh yeah. I am Best Buy's worst nightmare. "Well, this $80 m105 can do most of the same things as that $400 m500." Heheheh.

Candygogo
11-17-2003, 03:52 PM
Candygogo wrote:

Most of the time I use my HTC Wallaby, but sometimes I feel the need to also take my HP Jornada 690 with me

What's an HTC Wallaby? As you'll see in my sig, I tote my J690 with me as well! It still has an 'Ooh!' factor :)