View Full Version : My 5455 - Dead. Any ideas?

Trimble
11-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Ok, I have a problem. I picked up my 5455 saturday morning only to find it dead. I powered 'er up, and got the reboot screen, but it never went away. (the HP logo screen). I could press reset and it would reset, but it still wouldn't get passed the logo screen.

I plugged it into power and left it laying there thinking maybe the battery was too low for it to fully boot... I left it all night, and came back, and it was still laying there at the logo screen - with the backlight at full power. (This demonstrates that it was charging, since the battery would never last that long at full backlight on it's own - although the orange light was not flashing.)

I popped the battery out, and put it back in, and same thing. would boot to logo screen.

I took the battery out and left it out for a few days to drain the internal backup. put the battery back in. Now, when i pop the battery in, teh screen flashes for a split second, but doesn't respond to any buttons at all(power, reset, function buttons, etc).

I do have a best buy product protection plan, and it's still in effect (although i've traded in twice already on it... hmmm..), but I don't really want to loose wifi/bluetooth if I have to trade in and step down a model... sigh.

Anyone have any ideas I might have missed? is there a button combo I might try to fully reset the thing (I have a backup). power up from the wall without thebattery? wave a raw onion over it three times? I'm stuck.

Jason Dunn
11-12-2003, 06:46 PM
You've tried everything I would have tried, so I have no suggestions for you. Sorry. :-(

piperpilot
11-12-2003, 07:06 PM
The same thing happened to me last week. I had installed Calendar+ and it was causing my applications to run really slowly, so I tried doing a soft reset and that's when it locked up in reboot mode with just the blue and whilte HP Pocket PC screen showing. No matter what I did, I could not get it to get past that point. Ultimately, I had to do a hard reset--press the calendar and task buttons at the same time as you push the stylus into the soft reset hole. I went through the initial startup tutorial then used Pocket Backup to restore my applications. I then immediately removed Calendar+ and my H5455 has been fine ever since. Hope this helps.

The Yaz
11-12-2003, 07:15 PM
I had this happen with a 3855. It would not reset the os until I removed the SD card. I do not know why this was a problem except the card was being used on my pda and digital camera. Try removing your cards and then do the hard reset like Piperpilot suggested.

Good luck

Steve 8)

PetiteFlower
11-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Why would you have to trade down?

Could you trade it in for a 5555 or a 4155? They both have wifi and bt.

Dave Beauvais
11-12-2003, 08:12 PM
I was wondering that, too. Assuming the Best Buy plan is similar to the CompUSA TAP, you'd be able to exchange it for a model with the closest comparable specs. If Best Buy carries the h555x, you'd probably get that in exchange. I haven't been to Best Buy in several months so I'm not sure what they carry these days.