View Full Version : Finally - VOIP that Really Works!

Jason Dunn
11-12-2003, 05:48 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.skype.com' target='_blank'>http://www.skype.com</a><br /><br /></div>Completely off-topic, but I wanted to share with you all a very exciting program that a friend told me about last week. It's called Skype, and it was created by the makers of KaZaA - but it's not for file sharing, it's for voice chatting. There are three things that make Skype extremely impressive to me:<br /><br /><b>The voice quality is amazing</b> - it's better than phone quality, and upon my first use the quality of my friends voice was so high is sounded like he was in the room with me. It was actually kind of eerie. :worried:<br /><br /><b>The software uses port 80</b>, so it slips through firewalls without hassle, which means end users behind firewalls don't need to reconfigure ports. In fact, there's no configuration at all - it even dynamically selects the best voice codec for you depending on your bandwidth.<br /><br /><b>Most impressive of all, it works flawlessly from behind a NAT</b> (network address translation) layer, meaning that those of us behind routers and gateways can actually use it.<br /><br />They also have plans for having Skype dial regular land-line phones, and I've emailed them to ask about a Pocket PC version - wouldn't that be cool? The beta is free, but they'll eventually charge for the software and possibly a subscription-based service. Assuming they don't screw up a really great idea by charging too much for it per month, Skype could become the "next big thing". Check it out!

Jason Dunn
11-12-2003, 06:18 PM
I should add that once they get their "one to many" conferencing system in place, assuming it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd like to start doing Pocket PC Thoughts Q&A sessions - I think that would be cool. :-D

sub_tex
11-12-2003, 06:36 PM
I'm a big fan of VOIP. In fact, the only house phone I own is my Vonage one. I've had nothing but great servie with Vonage.

I'm not too be tied to an app to do VOIP, though. The beauty of Vonage is it works with any phone and is literally plug and play. and it dials to any phone, period. The other people don't need special software or hardware.

If this Skype could dial phones, I would be more excited.

nwingate
11-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Whatever you do... Don't use Skype!

Nathan
(Sprint Employee :cry: )

No really, I've done some testing with Skype and its the most impressive VOIP app I've seen to date. They plan on making money by offering additional features later on. One of those features will be the ability to call land lines as well.

- Nathan

Jason Dunn
11-12-2003, 06:44 PM
If this Skype could dial phones, I would be more excited.

They're going to be adding that feature soon. For me at least, this is amazing, because I enjoy using VOIP while playing multi-player games. I don't want to hold a phone up to my head while playing a game. :wink:

commander66
11-12-2003, 07:15 PM
I tested Skype 2 month ago with a colleague and I was also very impressed. It worked flawless and the quality was outstanding.
I hope they will keep the basic service for free. ;-)

dochall
11-12-2003, 07:30 PM
It's called Skype, and it was created by the makers of KaZaA -

Hmm...makers of KaZaA...How much spyware is included as an added extra?

David Prahl
11-12-2003, 07:31 PM
How do you call other computers? Do you just enter their IP?

Sounds like I'll have to try this - NetMeeting just doesn't work in all environments.

fiveohhh
11-12-2003, 07:36 PM
says on the downloads page no spyware/adware. Anyway to use this on a ppc..that would be awesome

arebelspy
11-12-2003, 07:39 PM
How do you call other computers? Do you just enter their IP?

Sounds like I'll have to try this - NetMeeting just doesn't work in all environments.

don't even need to bother.. it's like msn messenger, aim, etc. just create a username and add each other to your "buddy list"

also supports text messages for when quality isnt so clear. ;)

-arebelspy

lurch
11-12-2003, 07:50 PM
Does Skype support connections through proxies and authenticating firewalls?
Currently, Skype does not support proxies or authenticating firewalls. Stay tuned for more enhanced features in the future.

:mecry:
I was really looking forward to trying this!!

MitzEclipse
11-12-2003, 07:50 PM
Can this be used to call internationally? I'm assuming yes, just as long as the other person can access skype online?

Dave Beauvais
11-12-2003, 08:02 PM
says on the downloads page no spyware/adware. Anyway to use this on a ppc..that would be awesome
I've heard that before and many times it turns out to be a blatant lie. I plan to run Spybot S&D (http://security.kolla.de) immediately after installing the software to see what it turns up.

ricksfiona
11-12-2003, 08:03 PM
This can be HUGE. I use Vonage at home and it works great. Just don't use it to try sending faxes.

This can solve the whole dillema of deciding to get a PDA with WiFI AND GSM/GPRS-CDMA. Reliable VOIP on the PDA would be awesome. It's gotta be relatively cheap though. I'm talking no more than $20/month including a REAL phone number.

Skoobouy
11-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Oh, to be able to turn my iPaq 1935 upside-down to my ear and call home to Tucson from Belgium for pennies... :D

JvanEkris
11-12-2003, 09:17 PM
They also have plans for having Skype dial regular land-line phones, and I've emailed them to ask about a Pocket PC version - wouldn't that be cool?I've mailed with their R&D manager a month ago, when i read an article about Skype in a dutch newspaper. They were planning a PocketPC version at that moment :):):)

Jaap

that_kid
11-12-2003, 10:47 PM
I'll have to try this. I also have vonage at home AND vonage on my ipaq5555, you should see the faces of people when i make phone calls using only my 5555 and wifi. There's a mall nearby that has terrible cell coverage but they have great wifi coverage inside(especially the apple store) and It's nice to be able to walk around making calls with my ppc.

heyday
11-12-2003, 10:55 PM
Well I installed in on XP and trying to run it does nothing.... nada... zilch....

Won't load whatsoever......

heyday

Shadowcat
11-13-2003, 12:20 AM
I don't get it. What makes this different from Netmeeting, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, or ICQ? All of those can do video too. It doesn't look like Skype can. Why would I pay for something when I can already do it for free? I have to admit that the user interface looks much more user friendly though.

Jason Dunn
11-13-2003, 01:06 AM
I don't get it. What makes this different from Netmeeting, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, or ICQ?

Which of those clients work on port 80, requiring no firewall configuration, and which of them work through NAT?

spursdude
11-13-2003, 03:48 AM
I installed and tried it. I could hear the person I was talking to just fine, but any time I used long sentences it would get broken up and not go through.

Also, he could hear my computer's system sounds (like buddy sign-on in Trillian) even though I was using headphones. Bizarre....

yunez
11-13-2003, 04:14 AM
is this walkie-talkie style, or does it do simultaneous talking?

also, is there an appreciable delay when talking/responding?

Jason Dunn
11-13-2003, 04:21 AM
is this walkie-talkie style, or does it do simultaneous talking?

also, is there an appreciable delay when talking/responding?

Real conversations, no delay whatsoever...

mchang
11-13-2003, 08:14 AM
well, we've been using Microsoft Gamevoice to do the many-to-one VOIP thing for a while now. Works great, works through NAT, and all that stuff. Easy to set up and get running.

Plus, you can download the server, so you can have your very own server running anytime.

ricksfiona
11-13-2003, 08:18 AM
I'll have to try this. I also have vonage at home AND vonage on my ipaq5555, you should see the faces of people when i make phone calls using only my 5555 and wifi. There's a mall nearby that has terrible cell coverage but they have great wifi coverage inside(especially the apple store) and It's nice to be able to walk around making calls with my ppc.

Wait a minute, how do you get vonage on your ipaq? I looked on Vonage's website and I didn't see any software to use....

madbart
11-13-2003, 12:46 PM
I loaded this today and then had my sister in law in th UK load is as well.
We spoke for well over any hour without any problems at all.
It sounded like she was in the next room.
The clarity was exceptional! :lol:

that_kid
11-13-2003, 01:16 PM
Wait a minute, how do you get vonage on your ipaq? I looked on Vonage's website and I didn't see any software to use....

I ordered the vonage softphone which is for use on a pc but the program they use is sjphone which also has a client for the ppc. I copied the settings from the desktop to my ppc and now I have vonage on my ipaq. This was the very reason I got the softphone service(why sit at my desk and make calls when I have a wireless pocketpc). I've had it about a month now and it's been working great. I switched from sjphone to x-phone pro because the sjphone trial expired and the program is $100. X-pro costs less and I can have multiple proxies so I have vonage as my main proxy and free world dialup as my second. This way I never miss a call.

cedeveloperx
11-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Well I was impressed, I have tried: MSN and Yahoo as well as some other smaller ones and was never able to get the voice to work from my wirless at home (thru a NAT'd router) to my laptop at work through a industrial strength firewall. It used to work before I upgraded the home pc to xp. However I set this up and it worked first try and the sound clarity was much better then any of the others. Now if they would just add video I would be able to get rid of some of my other IM software.

Jason Dunn
11-13-2003, 07:48 PM
well, we've been using Microsoft Gamevoice to do the many-to-one VOIP thing for a while now. Works great, works through NAT, and all that stuff. Easy to set up and get running.

Yeah, except that Microsoft has abandoned the software, it has bugs, and there will never be an upgrade for it. :? I used to use Gamevoice too, but Skype is much better on every level...

Skoobouy
11-13-2003, 08:25 PM

I ordered the vonage softphone which is for use on a pc but the program they use is sjphone which also has a client for the ppc. I copied the settings from the desktop to my ppc and now I have vonage on my ipaq. This was the very reason I got the softphone service(why sit at my desk and make calls when I have a wireless pocketpc). I've had it about a month now and it's been working great. I switched from sjphone to x-phone pro because the sjphone trial expired and the program is $100. X-pro costs less and I can have multiple proxies so I have vonage as my main proxy and free world dialup as my second. This way I never miss a call.

What do you pay for Vonage service?

that_kid
11-13-2003, 08:33 PM
What do you pay for Vonage service?

I pay $9.99 for the softphone and $35.99 for the cisco ata home phone. For $9.99 I get 500 outgoing minutes with long distance and all that other stuff and get unlimited incoming calls. I'm hoping that they let you use the softphone with the unlimted plan and let it have the same number as your home phone, that would really be nice.

rmasinag
11-14-2003, 12:20 AM
Sorry slightly off topic but I'm looking for a PC-to-phone service like Vonage that lets you use a 3rd party software for PPC like xphone lite. Vonage is really great except that they don't serve Hawai'i.

beq
11-14-2003, 10:50 AM
Cool, I'd read an interview about it by the developers a month or so back, they certainly sounded confident...

kagayaki1
11-16-2003, 02:21 PM
I've got to tell you, my "phone calls" via Skype from Tokyo to Seattle were perfect. Indeed, even on the 1Mb Wi-Fi connection I have, the voice quality is great.

I still maintain one of the only things seperating the early adopters and widespread adoption is a piece of software designed for the lowest commom denominator - that just flat out works. It's what Napster was for P2P. It's just so simple, yet really, really good quality. Highly recommended - I too support a PPC edition. Awesome!

pinocchio
01-05-2004, 08:19 AM
who can tell me how to find someone online ? i searched , but it seems all the people are offline . :(
tks :)