View Full Version : Pocket PC software on a Mac

fasheezy
11-12-2003, 12:28 AM
i've tried downloading pocket pc software to my mac, but apparently the mac won't read the software. i'm guessing it's b/c the downloaded software is written for PC's. does anybody know where i can get pocketpc software that needs to be installed via a MAC? thanks.

mrkablooey
11-12-2003, 01:07 AM
You need to find the CAB files for the installs. Sometimes the writer of the software has the CAB files on their site. Other than that, there's not much else we can do but use Virtual PC.

If you do find the CAB file(s), use a program like The Missing Sync to install them.

hamishmacdonald
11-12-2003, 02:31 AM
Or - if you get the .CAB file - you can use a USB reader for SD or CF cards like a hard drive and shuttle your memory cards between devices. That's what I did back when I had a Mac. (PocketMac, even version 2, was too dangerously flaky to use. MissingSync might be better, or even PocketMac version 3, because I believe they both use iSync.)

pocketpcfox
11-12-2003, 11:55 AM
Or - if you get the .CAB file - you can use a USB reader for SD or CF cards like a hard drive and shuttle your memory cards between devices. That's what I did back when I had a Mac.

I'm in the same situation using a card reader to ferry program/data files from this mac to my ipaq. Very annoying when software that looks great arrives as an .exe rather than a .cab file. The latter being easily installed by the method Mr. MacDonald mentioned.

bmhome1
11-12-2003, 11:06 PM
PocketMac version 3 features a .CAB extractor function for .exe files. Don't know how well it actually works. I use VPC for full PPC functionality.

Phronetix
12-04-2003, 07:48 PM
It need not be that complicated. Both MissingSync and PocketMac allow you to mount your PPC device as a drive on the desktop. You can then drag and drop the .cab files onto your device.

On your device just tap the file and it will install itself.

Also, sometimes the .exe file is actually a compressed zip file that can be unzipped using the Stuff-It extractor that comes with Mac OS X. Every vendor I have contacted have responded within a day by email the .cab file to me.

mrkablooey
12-04-2003, 11:12 PM
It need not be that complicated. Both MissingSync and PocketMac allow you to mount your PPC device as a drive on the desktop. You can then drag and drop the .cab files onto your device.

On your device just tap the file and it will install itself.

With MissingSync you don't even need to do that. When it's mounted, there's an install button. I use that for the CAB.

Also, sometimes the .exe file is actually a compressed zip file that can be unzipped using the Stuff-It extractor that comes with Mac OS X. Every vendor I have contacted have responded within a day by email the .cab file to me.

I've set the EXE default program as Stuff-It Expander and none of the ones I've done recently worked. No big deal though.

I'll try the email approach you suggested, though in many cases it's quicker for me to go to my PC upstairs, run the install, and do it. I'll grab the CAB file (http://www.ipaq.net/Articles/getTip.aspx?articleID=72) that way and keep it on a spare SD card.