View Full Version : Listening to music over wi-fi

migliore
11-11-2003, 02:08 AM
I enabled wi-fi and can browse my mp3s on my desktop using the file explorer in my iPAQ 4155. How do I actually listen to them (or view images)?

Can you not "execute" these files? There is an associated WMP icon.

I've tried opening the files from inside the WMP application, but it doesn't seem to work. The only options are "playlist" and "open url" (which doesn't work when I try to feed it the network path \\machine\desktop documents\shared music, etc).

Must I copy the file over first? Seems silly.

Complete newbie here - thanks for the help,
Rob

JonnoB
11-11-2003, 02:55 AM
If you have an application lise Resco File Explorer, you can map a network source as a local device and then run the file with the associated application. You can also get a free network mapping tool like NetUse to do the same.

dean_shan
11-11-2003, 03:06 AM
If you don't have resco explorer you can make a short cut to the music files you want and put them on your PPC. WMP will see them and you can play it that way.

ctmagnus
11-11-2003, 04:20 AM
I got around this issue by telling Resco Explorer to show the network as "Network" folder under "My Device". I was then able to connect to 5+ GB of audio files in WMP. Although it was rather slow to get the full listing of them all initially.

Evee Ev
11-19-2003, 04:42 PM
i have resco and i tried mapping a drive. can this be done via activesync? i want to listen to some mp3's on a shared drive. resco seems to be unable to find any networks attached even after i put in my own ip address for my local machine. any hints...?

Sven Johannsen
11-19-2003, 06:21 PM
i have resco and i tried mapping a drive. can this be done via activesync?

No, network mapping, whether using the Built in File Explorer, or a third party one, will not work from the cradle, via ActiveSync. You must have some sort of direct network connection, wired, WiFi, BT Lan profile, RAS via a modem connection.

migliore
12-12-2003, 08:37 PM
I wrote a script to convert my .m3u playlists on my server to use the network path, such as

\\machine\documents\shared music\artist\song.mp3
etc.

When I double tap the playlist in resco, it launches WMP, says its buffering for about 3-4 minutes, then says tap play to listen. Play doesn't do anything. Any ideas here?

I even tried creating a .wpl style playlist w/ my script, but my PC didn't even like the format.

Thanks,
Rob / iPaq 4155 / PPC 2003

Vulcan
12-13-2003, 07:34 PM
I can play MP3 via WiFi from my server to my PPC using Resco Explorer to map the network share but I can not get it to play more than one song at a time....Will not play the first song then continue on through 2, 3, 4 etc. I have to tap each song to get it to play. I would like to have it just play them all because I am usually working in another app and I find it a hassle to close the app and get the next song going.

JonnoB
12-15-2003, 07:24 PM
I can play MP3 via WiFi from my server to my PPC using Resco Explorer to map the network share but I can not get it to play more than one song at a time....Will not play the first song then continue on through 2, 3, 4 etc. I have to tap each song to get it to play. I would like to have it just play them all because I am usually working in another app and I find it a hassle to close the app and get the next song going.

You need to create a playlist that includes all of those songs.

migliore
12-17-2003, 07:01 PM
I've tried tapping playlist in Resco containing

C:\blah\artist\song.mp3

and one containing

\\machine\artist\song.mp3

I've also set Resco to mount network drives under "My Network" and under "\Network" and neither option seems to work (saw this on an Axim board).

Maybe the playlist needs to looks like

\network\machines\artist\song.mp3 ??

Can someone who is able to play a playlist via wi-fi/resco/wmp tell me what your playlist looks like and what your resco settings are?

I'm about to try a different mp3 player.. especially as WMP takes _forever_ to load, like its trying to load some file across the network or something (maybe on that is on it's local playlist).

Thanks,
Rob

Vulcan
12-19-2003, 04:36 AM
What playlist editor are you using.....I am using MVP and it does not give you the option to make a playlist from a network share.....It does offer to let you make a playlist from memory cards or a website.

migliore
12-19-2003, 05:22 PM
I create my initial playlists using musicmatch, however, I use perl scripts to munge the playlists for use over the network or on my archos AV320 device.