View Full Version : ActiveSync Won't Sync Online but will Offline

robshobs
11-10-2003, 02:33 AM
ActiveSync has suddenly started acting strange (like that's a surprise to anyone). Everything was syncing just fine. I normally connect Outlook directly to the server when I start it. On Friday, all of my messages were available on my PPC.

On Saturday, the Exchange server was down, so I worked offline. Everything sync'd OK. Throughout all of these problems, my PC syncs every hour with the server.

Today, I connect to the server and sync. Now only one third of my messages are showing up in my PPC Inbox. I have not changes the setting of ActiveSync. The messages showing up are a random sample. For instance, my PC Inbox had 77 messages that date over the past 12 months. I have messages 12 months old and some one day old. About 10% of Friday's 35 messages are showing up in the PPC Inbox.

So I take Outlook offline and re-sync. Well what do you know, the PPC Inbox populates with all of the PC messages. GREAT. It works.

Nope. Go online and sync again and I'm back down the the same 25 messages.

Any ideas? How can I get ActiveSync to behave correctly both online and offline?

I have a HP IPAQ 5555.

Wiggin
11-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Rob
I have had times in the past with my 38xx where AS didn't synch all of the email items as it should... never could isolate the root cause. I ended up using a work around (not the best answer, but better than dealing with tech support, etc.) All it took was a modification of the AS settings (right click on the Inbox line in AS) to something different, then synch, then change the settings back to the values you want, and then synch again. All would be fine after that.

The change of the settings seemed to force the AC/iPaq relationship to perform normally.

May help if you can't solve the problem
Cheers

robshobs
11-11-2003, 02:58 AM
Wiggin,

Thanks for the tip. I tried many combinations of just that. Tried different settings, turned off Inbox syncing, turned it back on, turned off all syncing. All with the same results.

As I have been receiving e-mails today, the new e-mails sync just fine. It just some of the older messages in my Inbox will nto sync when working Offline.

I'm thinking I will deinstall ActiveSync, download the latest from MS (I currently have 3.7 but may get a different load) and reinstall. Maybe that will work. I think what will happen is it will need to recreate the partnership and will want to copy everything from the PC to my PPC.

Oh the pain.
:evil:

ctmagnus
11-11-2003, 05:47 AM
I think what will happen is it will need to recreate the partnership and will want to copy everything from the PC to my PPC.

That should correct the issue.

Oh the pain.

Actually, if you make sure everthing's synched between the two (with the exception of the Inbox in this case) before you delete the partnership, create a new one from scratch (as opposed to using the existing one on the PPC) and you tell it to replace the items on your device with the items on the desktop it should be quite painless. Or that's my experience. ymmv.

Deinstallation/reinstallation of ActiveSync should only be done after deleting/recreating partnershis doesn't correct the issue.