View Full Version : File transfer between 2215 and various desktops

GreasyP
11-10-2003, 12:15 AM
Hey Pocket PC gurus,

Is there such thing as a USB pen drive that works with Pocket PCs? I'm looking for any type of device that will let me copy files off the computers at school and immediately copy them onto my Pocket PC. I have a PCMCIA adapter for my Microdrive, but it's rare to see a desktop with a PC card drive, mostly just laptops have them. It's even more rare still to see PCs with built in CF or SD card readers. There's no way to just get on the wireless network to copy the files, either. Is there a good USB device for this, or some other solution I haven't thought of?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Janak Parekh
11-10-2003, 12:25 AM
Get a small USB-to-flash adapter and use that on the desktop side. There are rather small ones; amongst the nicest are Sandisk's Cruzer (http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/cruzer.asp) units, but those are only purchaseable with flash memory.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
11-10-2003, 12:58 AM
Since you mentioned a microdrive specifically
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=460023

GreasyP
11-10-2003, 03:28 AM
Hey, those are both awesome solutions. I need to decide whether I'd rather use my SD or Microdrive, now. The Microdrive holds more, but if I go SD I can use it with my camera, too. Thanks to both of ya.

Sven Johannsen
11-10-2003, 05:28 AM
You can get a USB SD reader as well, or a CF to SD adapter that would fit in the USB CF reader.

JustinGTP
11-10-2003, 05:48 AM
Or you can get a 6 in 1 USB 2.0 Card reader, thats what I need to buy real soon.

-Justin.

Crazie.Eddie
11-10-2003, 05:57 AM
Why not pick up one of those 8-N-1 Media Readers, that will read not only CF 1 or 2, but also SD, Memory stick, etc. They're fairly cheap and it could come in handy in the future in case you come across the other media.

Just do a google search on '8 n 1' or 'media readers'

jimski
11-10-2003, 06:30 AM
I have been using a SanDisk Cruzer the past year to transfer between PC/PPC and non-networked PC's. I have not yet encountered any problem connecting to any PC (provided it has a USB port) even those still running Win98. The 6 in 1 or 8 in 1 readers sometimes require special drivers that you need to carry around with you.

Since showing the Cruzer to our IT folks, everyone carries one in their bag (with 256MB cards) to quickly move files between non-connected PC's.

LightMan
11-11-2003, 01:41 PM
Another possibility is getting a BT USB dongle and copy those files via BT.

GreasyP
11-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Another possibility is getting a BT USB dongle and copy those files via BT.

I was thinking about a Bluetooth dongle, but wouldn't I need to install drivers on any machine I wanted to use it on? That's rather a pain, and I'm not sure it's even allowed. It would be nice, though.