View Full Version : Please take this Keyboard poll!

muntaser7
11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Please take this poll :-)
I would like to know if keyboards are going to be necessary in the future.

Thanks

Jeff Rutledge
11-09-2003, 12:22 AM
I think that in order to meet the bill of adding a keyboard without adding bulk, we may start seeing slightly small screens, creeping closer to the 3" mark I'd guess.

I have a Blackberry 957 and love the keyboard. Not just the hardware, but the shortcut-handling they've built in is unmatched on the PPC.

muntaser7
11-09-2003, 12:33 AM
I think that in order to meet the bill of adding a keyboard without adding bulk, we may start seeing slightly small screens, creeping closer to the 3" mark I'd guess.

I have a Blackberry 957 and love the keyboard. Not just the hardware, but the shortcut-handling they've built in is unmatched on the PPC.

What if there is a way that it would not affect the screen size and at the same time will not affect the overall size, what would you think then?

ghl
11-09-2003, 01:17 AM
maybe... usuing a similar/same layout as phones... still dont do much for size, but its better than the size you get from qwerty

Jeff Rutledge
11-09-2003, 01:34 AM
Personally, I like this concept:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/hansberry/2003/20031017-lgsmartphone.jpg

But with a QWERTY instead of course.

muntaser7
11-09-2003, 02:38 AM

Ok, here is the deal, you might have read my post a week or so ago and in it I stated that I have came out with a way that would have a full thumboard on a pocket pc with out making the screen smaller or adding an inch to the size, I have been studying this for weeks now, I have drawings and even made a dummy model out of my concept.
I think it is a great concept so I called an attorney and after doing a search to see if my concept was patent already we came out with nothing similar.
So we are going to start the patenting process on Monday morning, it will cost me 10 -12 thousand dollars!!!!
Am kind of scared, this will definitely be a big investment for me!
Here is the problem though, sometimes I would wake up in the morning and think that it is the greatest idea ever and some other times I would think the opposite!

Thanks

P.S: This concept of the sliding keyboard is owned by GATEWAY!! So they will have to pay Gateway royalty if it is ever going to sell in the US.

JustinGTP
11-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Good Luck Muntaser7!

Anyways, here is my Idea, based on CTMagnus'. It slides from under the unit and then unfolds like the iPAQ ones from HP. It took me a while on Photoshop and it isnt the best...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/hansberry/2003/20031109-hondakeyboard.jpg
(Image cropped by Ed to help reduce side-to-side-scrolling) :)

-Justin.

Jeff Rutledge
11-09-2003, 08:34 AM
My train of thought on the foldout keyboard concept is that it has to be used with a landscape setup a la the "secret" HP video that's been around forever.

If a keyboard is to be used with a Portrait oriented PDA, it has to be a thumboard.

JustinGTP
11-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Ok then, how about it swivels to the Landscape mode 8)

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/hansberry/2003/20031109-hondakeyboard2.jpg
(Same song, 2nd verse - Ed) :)

-Justin.

muntaser7
11-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Man!! You guys don’t care if someone steels your ideas! I know this might sound stupid but there are some CRAZY ideas that I found in the Patent website and this design makes most of them look like poop!!
I really would hate to see a company steel this idea!
I like the swivel thingy.

Here is some proof!!
Here is a GATEWAY patent for a crazy design!!

http://aiw1.uspto.gov/.aiw?docid=us20030197745ki&PageNum=4&IDKey=FDB126234BB7&HomeUrl=http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2%2526Sect2=HITOFF%2526p=1%2526u=%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-bool.html%2526r=1%2526f=G%2526l=50%2526co1=AND%2526d=PG01%2526s1=20030197745%2526OS=20030197745%2526RS=20030197745

muntaser7
11-09-2003, 09:25 AM
My train of thought on the foldout keyboard concept is that it has to be used with a landscape setup a la the "secret" HP video that's been around forever.

If a keyboard is to be used with a Portrait oriented PDA, it has to be a thumboard.

Where can i see this video?
Thanks

PetiteFlower
11-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Honda that's an interesting idea but I don't know if it would be technologically possible. It would definitely have to make the device really thick.

muntaser7
11-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Hi Ed!
Thank you for helping me with the Poll, could you please elaborate on why you prefer the separate keyboard choice?
My other question to you is, would you change your mind if they came out with a way to have a built in one with out affecting the size of the screen and the bulk of the PDA?
Just interested!

Thanks again.
Muntaser

Ed Hansberry
11-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Hi Ed!
Thank you for helping me with the Poll, could you please elaborate on why you prefer the separate keyboard choice?
My other question to you is, would you change your mind if they came out with a way to have a built in one with out affecting the size of the screen and the bulk of the PDA?
I am a touch typist and can tap out faster using FITALY than I can with those thumb boards. I despise those things. If I really want to get some work done, I'd rather have a full sized Stowaway.

Kati Compton
11-09-2003, 10:07 PM
I was pretty happy with the Psion3 keyboard.

PetiteFlower
11-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Muntaser--I would prefer a full sized keyboard, and I don't believe it's POSSIBLE to build one in without affecting the size of the device at all. That violates the laws of physics!

muntaser7
11-09-2003, 11:18 PM
Muntaser--I would prefer a full sized keyboard, and I don't believe it's POSSIBLE to build one in without affecting the size of the device at all. That violates the laws of physics!

How about a full sized thumb board on a PDA?

Ed Hansberry
11-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Full sized thumb board? There is no such thing. :D

Some here, like myself, just like touch typing with 10 fingers, and short of a foldable keyaboard, you just can't do that on a PDA. You couldn't even do that with most Handheld PCs, though the 820 did a pretty good job, but was huge.

Janak Parekh
11-09-2003, 11:57 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6317

I still wish they'd release one. It seems not to be in HP's immediate plans. :cry: Maybe they're waiting for the next-generation Pocket PC operating system?

--janak

muntaser7
11-10-2003, 12:14 AM
Full sized thumb board? There is no such thing. :D

Some here, like myself, just like touch typing with 10 fingers, and short of a foldable keyaboard, you just can't do that on a PDA. You couldn't even do that with most Handheld PCs, though the 820 did a pretty good job, but was huge.

HaaHaa! sorry!
I see what your saying!

muntaser7
11-10-2003, 12:16 AM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6317

I still wish they'd release one. It seems not to be in HP's immediate plans. :cry: Maybe they're waiting for the next-generation Pocket PC operating system?

--janak

I think it a little too big for me but that’s a cool concept, I think my Poll should be changed a little because I meant Thumb board and not keyboard! :oops: :oops:

Janak Parekh
11-10-2003, 12:22 AM
I think my Poll should be changed a little because I meant Thumb board and not keyboard! :oops: :oops:
The problem is that changing the poll will almost definitely reset the votes. :(

--janak

muntaser7
11-10-2003, 12:39 AM
I think my Poll should be changed a little because I meant Thumb board and not keyboard! :oops: :oops:
The problem is that changing the poll will almost definitely reset the votes. :(

--janak

Do you think we can do that?
I just don’t want to annoy the people on this board.
Should I start a new poll with thumb boards? What do u think its best?
Thanks

PetiteFlower
11-10-2003, 01:33 AM
Ick, thumboards....no thanks :)

JustinGTP
11-10-2003, 02:40 AM
No thumboards for me! I like the keyboards, but I dont really mind If my idea wont work physically, because, hey, its just an idea and I am not planning on making keyboard or pdas in the future. :D

BTW: Thanks ed for resizing, It didnt occur to me because I have a high resolution :D

-Justin.

ctmagnus
11-10-2003, 03:13 AM
Anyways, here is my Idea, based on CTMagnus'... It took me a while on Photoshop and it isnt the best...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/hansberry/2003/20031109-hondakeyboard.jpg

-Justin.

Of course it isn't the best. It has no c. You can't spell ctmagnus without a c! :wink:

JustinGTP
11-10-2003, 03:19 AM
Well the keyboard isnt designed for you! :twisted:

I did that at 12 at night and Im so sorry I forgot the C! Oh, I have commited such a sin, a crime, oh, what shall I Do?!! :cry:

-Justin. :razz:

Ed Hansberry
11-10-2003, 03:45 AM
BTW: Thanks ed for resizing, It didnt occur to me because I have a high resolution :D
That's what I figured. We try to keep images under 400 pixels wide. We still have users with 800X600 screens, and by the time you have the borders...

muntaser7
11-10-2003, 05:37 AM
So from what I gather thumb boards are not a popular thing!
So how come the Treo line is so popular? A lot of users abounded PPC’s to jump on this thing because of the thumb board.

farnold
11-10-2003, 10:00 AM
I was always sure I wanted a built-in keyboard and I looked a bit jealous on the Sharp linux one...

Hm, but that was then. Now I'd rather see what voice recognition will provide me with. Writing longer text documents was never my intention anyway...

Stephen Beesley
11-10-2003, 10:37 AM
So from what I gather thumb boards are not a popular thing!
So how come the Treo line is so popular? A lot of users abounded PPC’s to jump on this thing because of the thumb board.

I would agree that my preference would be for a full format (if not full size) fold out keyboard like the Ipaq concept video, but the idea of thumboards is growing on me. I recently got a HP Pocket Keyboard for my Jornada and I while I am not as fast on it as I could be (due to a combination of big fingers and lack of practice) I can see the potential. I particularly like the sliding type built into the Sharp Linux PDAs.

All and all I would not mind some extra bulk for either solution if it worked flawlessy.

dh
11-10-2003, 12:30 PM
I personally would prefer a clamshell design that folds over to a tablet, like the Sony and Toshiba models.

I have a Pocketop keyboard but rarely bother to get it out and setup. I tend to just use Fitaly or Calligrapher.

seidler
11-10-2003, 01:37 PM
In my opinion Pocket PCs are meant to be small. That's contradictory to a built-in keyboard. That's why I'm happy with Fitaly for short notes, and much happier with my external USB keyboard when I write >10k mails and other large documents (I don't have a PC).
Here's a pic of the keyboard I have:
http://www.maxpoint.net/apsystem/cm/app_images/4602_2.jpg
and the technical data http://www.maxpoint.net/apsystem/cm/app_files/ack610el_eng.pdf. It's way bigger than a foldable, but still way smaller than a laptop. And, as it is standard USB, it's versatile and I can just plug it into every computer (because I like the feeling).

Stefan

damager
11-10-2003, 03:36 PM
My issue with keyboard use with PDAs has to do with the screen size. When you use a pen input method (Graphitti, Block Recognizer, Fitaly, etc), you hold the PPC much closer to your face that when you use a thumb keyboard or regular sized keyboard - when I'm at arms length (using a keyboard), I can't see the screen very well - maybe it's just most 40 year old eyes.

Perk
11-10-2003, 04:44 PM
I don't think that our PDAs need to grow wings like the cool photoshop illustration below would suggest but it seems to me that with this kind of response, something needs to be done to easy data input.

I really like my Wordlogic on-screen keyboard. It does a great job but using a single stylus and scanning the left side of the screen for word suggestions is still a bit too slow for me.

Sometimes when I'm pinched for time and am alone (because of the geek factor of talking to my PDA) I initiate a new calendar appointment and use the dropdown list to choose the subject and then press and hold voice record so I can describe the actual details.

Maybe the best data input solution just hasn't been thought of yet. All I know is that my current PDA is much smaller than my old one and the only complaint I have is wanting it to get smaller.

PetiteFlower
11-10-2003, 06:44 PM
I think thumboards are a "love it or hate it" thing....so some models should have it (or be able to add a clip on) and some should not, so each user can decide what's most important to them.

bbarker
11-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Hi Ed!
I am a touch typist and can tap out faster using FITALY than I can with those thumb boards. I despise those things. If I really want to get some work done, I'd rather have a full sized Stowaway.
I don't use FITALY but I agree with Ed. I had the Jornada 560 series clip-on thumb keyboard. It was supposed to be one of the best designs yet but I didn't like it. I find it faster to enter short items with the character recognizer. When I write a letter I use the full-sized, folding Stowaway.

Craig Horlacher
11-10-2003, 08:25 PM
I love my original stowaway. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed that new one without the number keys...The original stowaway is the only option for me!

I have some friends who like the thumb key pads but I can't stand them. I'm just as happy with an onscreen keyboard, in fact it's better on screen in that you can see it in the dark.

I love that slide down, fold out, swival design from civic_si!!! Make a stowaway fold out of there!

whydidnt
11-10-2003, 08:31 PM
This is one of those "to each their own" topics. For me having to carry a foldable keyboard is too much of a hassle and adds too much bulk -- why not just carry a sub-notebook?. I was also anti-thumboard. Every one I ever tried was frustrating to use, as my fat thumbs always managed to hit two keys at once. Then I tried the Clie UX-50 and found thumboard nirvana! There's enough space betwee the letter for me to thumb type.

The biggest problem is that it's not a WM device. I have for years struggled with text input to my PDA, I could not "get" Fitaly, my brain just couldn't get used to it. My handwriting is awful and I have never been able to accurately use any Palm or PPC handwriting recognition software, and I've tried them all.

I need somebody to Frankestein the Windows Mobile OS onto my Clie UX-50 so I can finally get the best of both worlds-- oh and while you're at it, could you add a GSM/GPRS option as well! :wink:

Whydidnt

bbarker
11-11-2003, 07:48 PM
For me having to carry a foldable keyboard is too much of a hassle and adds too much bulk -- why not just carry a sub-notebook?.
I seldom carry a folding keyboard. If I'm going somewhere that I'll really need it I'll take it along, but mostly I use it at home to write a letter or something when the laptop is tied up, or to respond to email when I don't want to take time to boot up a computer.

BTS
11-11-2003, 07:53 PM
I tend to agree with many of the comments here - the PDA was designed to be used on the go and to take few notes. I use Access Panel for putting in commonly used phrases (they can literally be long paragraphs).

I own a Toshiba e750 so I'm able to plug my USB keyboard (my pet peeve, BTW, is that I seem to be unable to find ANY mini USB keyboards in Canadian tech stores) into the PDA when I am at home. This allows me to type my longer letters.

I've tried thumb-boards but just don't like the feel of them. However, if they work for you I say go for it!

yek
11-14-2003, 02:42 PM

UniTap QWERTY keyboard easily fits this space. Take a look at www.unitap.net
One of UniTap concepts for smartphones has a similar design.