View Full Version : Children and PDA's

blang
11-08-2003, 10:47 PM
I am just curious about how many of you let your children use your pocket pc. I have let them use mine to play games but watching them very closely. I have partially given my 10 year old son my extra pda to help him get organized with school and of course, to play games.

dean_shan
11-09-2003, 07:17 AM
On my vote I ment myself. I got my first ppc as a teen.

Candygogo
11-09-2003, 07:59 AM
Well, being that my daughter just turned 5... :wink:

She does seem to love gadgets as much as I do, and I did recently purchase her this VTech Skillstarter handheld (about the size of a Pocket PC/Palm type) and she's getting the hang of it. I have no doubt that by the time she's ten, I'll be getting her a pda (well, my hand-me-down when I get a new one!)

Thinkingmandavid
11-09-2003, 02:53 PM
I dont have any kids but I think it is good if they can learn about technology at a young age. It can only help. I dont think a brand new pda for anyone under ten is a good idea. Maybe refurbished or used, hand me down kind of thing.

Candygogo Also an old Jornada 690 kept for my writings.
you arent doing writing on your e740?

Kevin C. Tofel
11-09-2003, 03:44 PM
My son is 6 and I carefully let him use my current PDA on rare occasion. I have an old Compaq Aero PDA that I've let him keep.....we use it to wake him up in the morning or let him draw, write, etc.....I'm sure if he knew how to play Solitaire, he would use that too!

PC's and PPC's are going to be such a large part of his life that I'd rather let him play now. He has a PC in his room and can spend hours at PlayhouseDisney.com. I know that as he gets older, I'll need to watch his surfing, but for now he's fine.

Ironically, the first word that he read was "Axim" on this very site. He was sitting on my lap while I was surfing and he told me "I know what word that is Daddy.....Ax...Ax....Axim". From then on he was able to sound out words and read to us...... 8)

By the way: a nice "PDA like" device for kids is the Pixter....basic, but reasonably priced and gives them their own device.

KCT

Godsongz
11-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Our family gets together with a group of other familys on Saturday nights to celebrate the Lord's Day. There are always 15-20 kids there with ages ranging from infant to teenager. My 2215 has been used a few times by some of the older kids, but my 3835 gets passed around often between the younger ones. The apps they seem to like the most are the ones that allow them to draw on the device, like Pocket Artist. They do come up with some great pictures that sometimes I don't even find on the device until later in the week, and its really fun to sit in my Friday afternoon staff meeting and stumble across a beautiful picture drawn by my 9 year old goddaughter the previous Saturday.

Candygogo
11-09-2003, 07:40 PM
<Candygogo

Quote:
Also an old Jornada 690 kept for my writings.

you arent doing writing on your e740?>

I love the keyboard on the hpc :) I was going to get a kb for the e740, but why should I let a good j690 go to waste? Plus I use it like a cheap 'subnotebook.'

Candygogo
11-09-2003, 07:47 PM
<By the way: a nice "PDA like" device for kids is the Pixter....basic, but reasonably priced and gives them their own device.

KCT>

I was thinking about that for my 5 y.o. for Christmas! :D Either ToysRUs or KB Toys (in the States) had them on sale. I believe the new color ones are out as well.

Kati Compton
11-09-2003, 08:12 PM
FYI - to quote other users when you're replying, there's a little button above each post that says "quote". Hit that, and you'll see in your response the text from THEIR post like this:

[quote="Kati Compton"]FYI - to quote other users when you're replying...[/quote]

After you submit or preview your post, it looks like this:

FYI - to quote other users when you're replying...

You can also manually type in the "quote" tags. This helps people follow the conversation.

spursdude
11-11-2003, 06:25 AM
I don't think a PDA before high school is really necessary at all. Then again, I could probably get by through high school without my PPC also.

To me it seems like carrying a PDA around at a very young age is a bit too much of a responsibility - learning to use and occasionally using one is okay (like I did) but having a PDA before high school seems like too much... This from the viewpoint of somebody who got a PPC in freshman year of high school.

blang
11-11-2003, 06:30 AM
Letting my 5th grader use my Axim is helping him get more organized and independent. However, he is not allowed to take it out of the house or let any of his friends use it.