View Full Version : wifi newbie question

Kowalski
11-07-2003, 11:29 PM
i have found a router access point from linksys
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=544

but i'm not sure that with this router i can active sync my ppc with my pc

the device contains a 4 way switch. does this mean that i can connect two pc s and my ppc at the same time? i mean can i use this device as a regular wire switch?

this question may be dumb but what can i do im a newbie

dean_shan
11-08-2003, 01:35 AM
How it contains a 4 point swich means that you can have 4 computers connected by ethernet cables to your DSL/Cable modem. And yes you can have your 2 computers and ppc connected at the same time. I think that with wifi you can have 25 computers on it?

Thinkingmandavid
11-08-2003, 02:07 AM
you can use this for your ppc, have fun :mrgreen:

Mark_Venture
11-08-2003, 07:30 PM
Yes the BEFW11S4 works well for 802.11b wi-fi, home networking and sharing of your CABLE or DSL Modem with up to 253 LAN side IP addresses.

If do not know TCP/IP, then you need to be aware that each PC, ethernet printer, hand held, etc must have its own IP address. Well, the BEFW11S4 can be used with up to 253 LAN side IP addresses, either Static or Dynamic. That means you can have up to 253 wired or Wireless devices sharing 1 cable/dsl connection or doing a home TCP/IP lan.

The built in 4 port wired switch is basically a plain 4port 10/100 wired ethernet switch built into the unit. This allows you to directly connect up to 4 PCs, or a mix of PCs and other ethernet devices like plain hubs or switches to connect more PCs, ethernet print servers, etc. and setup a home lan.

A while back I added one to my existing wired ethernet home lan to give wireless access for my iPAQ and Laptop. For the laptop I wanted more network speed, so I took back the BEFW11S4 and got a WRT54G.

In addition to the wired home lan between all my computers, and sharing my cable modem between all of them, using either the BEFW11S4 or the WRT54G allows me to use the iPAQ wirelessly to ActiveSync, share/copy files to/from my other PCs, play MP3 and MPEG files stored on the other PCs, and surf the internet.

Kowalski
11-08-2003, 09:20 PM
thank you guys especially mark venture. thats all i wanted to know