View Full Version : Cingular GPRS

racerx
11-07-2003, 10:25 PM
I have an iPAQ 5555 and I just got a Siemens S56 with GPRS service from Cingular. I have a GPRS indicator on the phone and am able to surf the web on the phone itself. I want to use the phone to connect to the internet to check my mail, etc.

I have tried everything I can think of to get this thing to work and I'm bangin' my head against the wall I've tried BT AND IR (so you can't blame the BT Ed) and can't get anywhere.

Is there anyone out there who has gotten this combo to work that can share their settings with me? I called Cingular AND Siemens, but they were less than useless when it comes to this stuff.
:helpme: .
TIA

</RacerX>

arglebargle
11-08-2003, 01:44 AM
Hi,

I recently struggled with getting cingular GPRS to work with my s56 and Dell Axim with a socket bluetooth card.

I tried about a zillion different combinations (and cingular tech support)with no luck.

The only way I was able to get it to work was using a program called Running Voice GSM. That added a connection manager called flexport that allowed me to enter all the necessary info. It also does some other cool stuff (phone dialing, sms using your pda, etc). Little bit pricey though.

Cingular has a software package called data connect that supposedly does the same thing to your connection manager but it (I believe) doesn't do bluetooth. Doesn't do the cool stuff running voice does, and it's even more expensive.

Here are the settings I entered into the flexport connection manager:

access point name : isp.cingular
user id: [email protected] (must be uppercase)
password : ZXY203DC9K0402

It seems like regular PPC connections dont have a spot for the access point name.

That worked for me, I was actually pretty surprised to see it work after all that. Be careful though, it's really easy to burn through the megabytes and cingular's data plan is not cheap.. I actually use a dialup data connection for email and general PIE-friendly surfing since I have plenty of minutes. I use GPRS if I have to look up something on the web faster (but it's still pretty darn slow).

ArgleBargle

Thinkingmandavid
11-08-2003, 01:47 AM
mmm, the s56 from cingular you said you had tried bluetooth, that phone doesnt come with bt for cingular that i know of. if it didthen it would work wiht your ipaq. to use the gprs other than bt would be a cable or ir port. I know it says bt capable, but that is a piece you add on isnt it? when i go in to work tomorrow i am going to check it out.

racerx
11-08-2003, 03:36 AM
Thanks arglebargle,
I've actually got Running Voice installed & I've got the same settings that you listed. According to RV Stat Mgr, I'm making the connection, but the the remote modem disconnects.

Whats weird is that using the same phone w/a Toshiba BT card in my laptop and those same settings works just fine. I can't figure out what's going on w/this thing. Never had this problem w/T-Mobile when I was using my T39m w/them.

Any further insight is greatly appreciated.

racerx
11-08-2003, 04:22 AM
GOT IT! The trick was in the modem string - +cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"

Once I put that in place, I didn't need to use Running Voice to make the connection. Which is good, since RV wants the Flexport to be the selected network under connections in order to work. The way I wanted to do it was just choose CONNECT under the BT Manager and have it connect that way. Much easier if you're switching between connection types frequently.

Now I'll have to try setting it up for CSD to my dial-up ISP so I can just use my minutes on the weekends instead of burning through my data allowance.

Thanks again.

rpommier
11-24-2003, 12:05 AM
Is it possible to use my S56 and 2210 to dial my ISP? I've tried and it gives me a message that says "Not Applied for"

Any help would be appreciated...

brices21
11-25-2003, 03:26 AM
maybe with the new number portability rules, you guys can get off that sorry excuse for a network and move over to t-mobile...

sorry, very bad history with cell one/cingular...

but, t-mobile is the best I've had