View Full Version : Pocket PCs Are Not a Dead Technology!

piperpilot
11-07-2003, 02:23 PM
With all this talk lately about how PDAs have no future, I want to relate to you a recent experience that I had. Last week, I was in Denver at my association's annual meeting and exposition. There were approximately 7,000 long-term care providers (nursing homes, assisted living, etc.), vendors and speakers at the meeting. This year, our conference services division came up with the idea to do 20 minute demonstrations during the lunch break of various things of general interest to people. I was asked to do one about "How to Use Your Pocket PC." Other demonstrations included two-step dance lessons, wine tasting (with free wine!), etc. I am very proud to say that my Pocket PC session was a big hit and garnered the biggest audience. I got a lot of questions and a few people came up to me later for advice on what type of device would be best for them. Of course, I used the opportunity to plug Pocket PC Thoughts as an excellent resource to learn more about what can be done with these devices that we love so much, and I saw many people writing down the address. So, all in all, I have to say that in my experience, there are still a lot of late adopters out there whose interest in PDAs has yet to be or is just starting to be piqued.

Jason Dunn
11-07-2003, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the plug! :-)

SandersP
11-07-2003, 05:36 PM
It's something dead again? PPC, Sony, Palm, Dell smartphone, Toshiba...

Is it the latest fashion craze? There must be something epeidemic killing all thee handheld. heh heh... Quick somebody name this phenomena.

Oh, I love that term 'late-adopter' heh heh.
That makes my day.

dh
11-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Free wine with the Pocket PC class would have been nice as well. :D

piperpilot
11-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Oh, I love that term 'late-adopter' heh heh.
That makes my day.

Glad to oblige you! :D

piperpilot
11-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Free wine with the Pocket PC class would have been nice as well. :D

That's why I was so surprised that I had the best turn-out for my knowledge loop. I can never resist the temptation of free wine.

However free wine AND Pocket PCs; now that's something to think about for next year![/u]

Thinkingmandavid
11-07-2003, 05:47 PM
That is good news, you are helping to get people into the pda word with the ppc :wink: and not palm, oh excuse, palm one :roll:
That is cool. Some new faces around here is always good:)

AppleMac
11-08-2003, 01:22 PM
palm, oh excuse, palm one :roll:

As much as I agree with you that the whole palm-palmone thing was stupid and pointless, I'm sure all the palmies are saying "Pocket PC, oh excuse me, Windows Mobile :roll: "