View Full Version : new ppc - where to start?

academicpc
11-06-2003, 08:05 PM
I've got to select a PPC in a hurry, and won't have time to research them as well as I'd like. Here are my requirements:
1- reasonably good battery life (I'd even trade a color display for better battery life)
2 - ability to use wireless (doesn't have to be built-in. I'd buy an expansion card for wi-fi)
3 - memory expansion slots (I don't know which type is best)
4 - "other" expansion capability (I think it's called SDIO).

It's not going to be my money, so I'd pay 300-450. I'm going to have to use it every day, so I want a good one. I don't mind something as big as the Axim X5, but it would be great if it fit in a pocket.
I don't know which are the best brands. I'd like it to be sturdy.
Do they come with cables to attach to my desktop computer, or are those an "optional" purchase?

I've read some of the other threads on this topic, but I haven't really seen any discussion about which brands are best and why.

Anybody have any experience with the Toshiba 400?

Thanks,
Jim

SandersP
11-06-2003, 08:18 PM
h2210 is popular choice,
DellX3 with WiFi built in is good,
and last the Asus A620BT.

PetiteFlower
11-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Ok here are some good choices for you:

Axim X5 - dual slots, no built in wireless, SD memory only, no SDIO, big

Axim X3i - SDIO, built in wifi, smaller then X5

Ipaq 2215 - Dual slots, SDIO, built in bluetooth, rubber grips fall off, size between X3 and X5

Ipaq 4150 - SDIO, built in wifi and bluetooth, smaller then all of the above but only slightly

Are SD wifi cards out yet? If so you can get the

Ipaq 1945 - SDIO, built in bluetooth, itty bitty, some screen yellowness issues though

But keep in mind SD wifi cards will be more expensive then CF wifi cards.

PetiteFlower
11-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Oh all PPCs have the ability to take memory, if I said they have dual slots then they can use secure digital (SD) or compact flash (CF) memory. And they all come with a way to hook it up to your computer, they're not really meant to be freestanding devices, it's really hard to get software onto them without a PC, so that stuff will come standard. It will either be a cable or a cradle, almost all come with cradles now.

I haven't looked at the latest Toshibas so I can't speak to that, but there are a LOT of complaints about their service here so keep that in mind. You also may have trouble getting them to release OS upgrades for it in the future, so think about how long you want to keep it.

Thinkingmandavid
11-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Ipaq 2215
Ipaq 4150
Axim x3i
Fujitsu loox :rock on dude!:

All the above have wireless capabilities, add memory and good battery life, and are good models.. For what you want any of them will do the job. Idealy go to best buy, see what they have in your area, or compusa, and then make your final choice.

Jason Dunn
11-06-2003, 09:14 PM
I'd recommend the Dell Axim X3i as your first choice, and the iPAQ 2215 as your second.

Kati Compton
11-06-2003, 09:24 PM
I've got to select a PPC in a hurry, and won't have time to research them as well as I'd like. Here are my requirements:
1- reasonably good battery life (I'd even trade a color display for better battery life)
Define "reasonably good". Different people have different opinions as to what this means. No current PPC's have B&W screens, btw.

2 - ability to use wireless (doesn't have to be built-in. I'd buy an expansion card for wi-fi)
3 - memory expansion slots (I don't know which type is best)
4 - "other" expansion capability (I think it's called SDIO).

You have a couple options here. You can built-in WiFi with an SDIO slot that will allow you to use either memory or peripherals (provided you can find them). SD is the memory type, SDIO means the slot can handle memory and "other stuff".

The other option is a dual-slot device, which have one CF slot and one SD or SDIO slot. This would likely be a better option IF you wanted WiFI *some* of the time, and a different form of I/O other times (ie, like a modem). The CF slot supports both memory cards and IO-type cards, btw.

It's not going to be my money, so I'd pay 300-450. I'm going to have to use it every day, so I want a good one. I don't mind something as big as the Axim X5, but it would be great if it fit in a pocket.
I don't know which are the best brands. I'd like it to be sturdy.
Depends on what you consider pocketable and the size of your pockets. Some people have complained that the X5 (and the larger iPaqs) have borderline pocketability. No one has complained that the smaller PPCs such as the 1940 and the 2210 won't fit in a pocket. Though a very few people have mentioned that the smaller devices can be uncomfortable to hold/use. But this will depend on your hand size and subjective opinion.

Do they come with cables to attach to my desktop computer, or are those an "optional" purchase?
All come with cables to attach to the computer. I think most commonly they attach via USB, but some may have a serial port connection--I'm not sure.

I've read some of the other threads on this topic, but I haven't really seen any discussion about which brands are best and why.
I'm not sure that any particular brand makes a *bad* PPC now. There are issues with particular models. And there have been complaints about Toshiba's support of their devices. But nothing *serious* about current hardware that I know of (at least, since the Axim d-pad issue was fixed). For comments on individual models, though, I'd browse the respective forums.

JonnoB
11-06-2003, 10:04 PM
I'd recommend the Dell Axim X3i as your first choice, and the iPAQ 2215 as your second.

Jason, do you have an X3i yet? I am curious as to the recommendation over the 2215.

Jason Dunn
11-06-2003, 10:46 PM
Jason, do you have an X3i yet? I am curious as to the recommendation over the 2215.

Yes, I have one - it's very nice! He had indicated a need for wireless, and IMO integrated is always preferable over a card solution, so the X3i seemed like a good solution. I'll try to do up a quick post on it in the next few days - I don't have the bandwidth to do a full review. :(

JonnoB
11-07-2003, 01:24 AM
Right after I posted the question, I noticed the front page posting on how good the battery life is. I still need CF for more than WiFi (GPS, Camera, LAN, Modem, 1gb storage, etc) that I can't be without a second slot. The X3i does seem nice and small though for having a slot and integrated WiFi. I would love to see a dual-slotted (2xSDIO?) 19xx type device with integrated WiFi in addition to BT. That would make my day.

maximus
11-07-2003, 02:06 AM
Ipaq 2215
Ipaq 4150
Axim x3i
Fujitsu loox :rock on dude!:

I agree with the first three, but not with the last one. IMHO, Loox 600 is downright bad in term of stability, quality, screen, etc.

JustinGTP
11-07-2003, 03:23 AM
How about the 4150 as money isnt a problem? That is the latest and it is very very nice, but only with one SDIO slot. The 2215 has CF and SD. I would go with HP because they have the smallest devices yet.

-Justin.

PetiteFlower
11-08-2003, 04:13 AM
I just stopped in Circuit City today to get a firsthand look at the 4150. One word:

*DROOL*

I hate HP. But damn do I want that machine. Now I just have to see what kind of discount my cousin will be able to get me(he works there).....I won't pay $100 more then the X3i costs, but I'd pay a little more. Course I won't have the money for it for a few months, but that's the first PDA I've seen that combines a small, sexy form AND big beefy features; the 1900 series seemed all about sacrificing features for size, and I don't want to do that.

Thinkingmandavid
11-08-2003, 05:48 AM
You can say that about the Loox :rock on dude!: and about other ppc's.
If you want to know more about the loox go to one of the websites and take a look around and ask some questions. Just like over here the hp users may have some troubles and post for help on here the same thing is going on over there.
It is a nice looking pda for sure, hopefully you will be able to get a discount, it always helps :mrgreen: