View Full Version : progress on the "thingie"

rzanology
11-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Okay we've talked about the thingie before...some of you like to call it a remote controll...but the "thingie" sounds much better. Its the thing that most mp3 players and mini disk players come with to change the tracks with out touching the device. Has any one heard anything about an ipaq with one? Would it be possiable to some how mod the 2215 to get one? Come on...i know you people pull shots at HP and Microsoft...lets get this done!!!

DimensionZero
11-06-2003, 08:04 PM
Ooooh.. having a thingy would be pretty cool!!!
Maybe even a bluetooth one! hehe

Eitel
11-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Since the 2215 can act as a Remote Control (Nevo), then I suppose you're asking for a "thingie for the thingie". Am I right? :D

rzanology
11-06-2003, 09:32 PM
yes lol...the main purpose of the thingie is so we can swith mp3 tracks with out pulling out the ipaq!

JustinGTP
11-07-2003, 02:44 AM
Im afraid you cannot have a thingy because the actual iPAQ doesnt support any ID3 transmissions through the headphone jack, you need a computer chip like on my Yepp Player that allows it to send the track information and such to the Remote Controller. Ill post pics to show you what I mean.

Here is the little tutorial I made, hope you enjoy it! its on my site to reduce Bandwidth costs etc.

Tutorial Here (http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/ppcc/ipaqcontrol.html)
-Justin. :D

joshka
11-07-2003, 02:47 AM
Im afraid you cannot have a thingy because the actual iPAQ doesnt support any ID3 transmissions through the headphone jack, you need a computer chip like on my Yepp Player that allows it to send the track information and such to the Remote Controller. Ill post pics to show you what I mean.

i'm pretty sure they just want the ability to remotely press buttons, and they're not concerned with remote id3 info..

JustinGTP
11-07-2003, 03:20 AM
Its still the same, your iPAQ has to send the information down the wire to your Remote Control, and the Headphone jack cannot do this without the chip, its only for sound.

-Justin.

DimensionZero
11-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Which is why we need a fancy bluetooth unit! :mrgreen:

joshka
11-09-2003, 10:25 PM
aha bluetooth? bye battery life.

but err sony things don't use the headphone port for sending data down anyway, they use a slot nest to the headphone jack which carries data..

so if there' was some way to mod an sdio slot so that you could use the io part to do remote controlling, and still leave it open for a sd memory card, that'd work. aha. good luck, though. it'd probably make everything stick out and be ugly.. but still, there'd be a way ;D

i, uh.. *dare* someone to come up with a way.. chickens.

PR.
11-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Why not have a connector that plugs into the docking connector at the bottom?

It should have all the data/audio/power connectors you would need

Janak Parekh
11-09-2003, 11:55 PM
It should have all the data/audio/power connectors you would need
You'd need a connector that plugs into both the top and the bottom, since audio isn't routed through the sync connector. This makes sense for the 5xxx units where the audio jack is right next to the sync connector. Alternatively, perhaps leverage the IR port on the top?

Either way, it's not trivial. :|

--janak

ctmagnus
11-10-2003, 06:32 AM
I tried a Panasonic inline remote on my iPaq 5550 when I first had it, and everything sounded extremely tinny through my MDR-EX70LP's.

seidler
11-10-2003, 01:49 PM
You mean something like that:
http://www.casio.com/images/a/jk-840he_a_300x362.jpg.
I haven't got one yet, but this is exactly what you are looking for, isn't it?
Earphones with remote control (http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.detail&product=JK-840HE)
But of course I don't know if it would work with others than Casio PPCs. And the thin sound you mentioned with the Panasonic "thingie" is certainly due to a different connector wiring.

Stefan

rzanology
11-10-2003, 01:51 PM
YES!!! there we have it people...a pic of the thingie!!! I'd take bite the bullet and get it just to see if it works, but it doesn't look like i can use my own headphones...i have to use those damn ear buds. Im glad you guys are thinking with me...from what i've seen HP tends to listen to people, so i'll be making noise till i see a thingie on an ipaq!!!!

seidler
11-10-2003, 02:03 PM
... but it doesn't look like i can use my own headphones...
yeah, i'm a bit disappointed about that, too, but once I have it, I will just cut the wire just after it and solder a standard jack on it...

Stefan
oh, P.S.: if it doesn't work, would you mind sending it to me :puppydogeyes: It's EUR26 here in Germany, and about $5 in the US, but noone will ship it to me :(

rzanology
11-10-2003, 02:11 PM
lol thats "GANGSTAH!" Maybe i should try that mahself!!! Let me know how it turns out for you!

Janak Parekh
11-10-2003, 04:59 PM
But... how is that going to work? Note that the connector has an extra conductor. That means the headphone jack on the Casio was specially built for it.

--janak

rzanology
11-10-2003, 05:01 PM
hmmmm.....very good point!!! answers?

DimensionZero
11-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Doh Janak beat me to it.

And plus, you need someway of interpreting the signals given off by the "thingie"...

That's why I thought something that was BT would be better, wouldn't there be a way of making the iPAQ and "thingie" connect only to transfer data when needed? Wouldn't that cut down on the battery drain? And how significant of a drain would there be?

JustinGTP
11-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Like what I have been saying all along - your iPAQ only supports audio - thats it!

And if you saw my tutorial on the LCD remote, or "thingie"

-Justin.

ctmagnus
11-10-2003, 10:26 PM
I haven't got one yet, but this is exactly what you are looking for, isn't it?
Earphones with remote control (http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.detail&product=JK-840HE)

That's conceptually similar to what I was referring to, except mine has a headphone jack so you can use whatever phones you want.

rzanology
12-16-2003, 10:35 PM
come on people...any new news on a thingie

Steven Cedrone
04-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Looks like you finally get your "Thingie"! (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25623&highlight=) But, you'll have to buy a new Pocket PC! :wink:

Steve

JustinGTP
04-17-2004, 05:52 AM
Looks like you finally get your "Thingie"! (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25623&highlight=) But, you'll have to buy a new Pocket PC! :wink:

Steve

That features no Bluetooth or Wifi and only has one card slot. Humph.

rzanology
05-24-2004, 04:02 PM
AH HA!!!!! thats okay...lets hope some on at hp see this and give me what i want!!!! PERHAPS we could get one on the new 4700. That would be niiiiiice!!!! Come hp...PUUUSH!!!!!!!

Janak Parekh
05-29-2004, 07:26 PM
AH HA!!!!! thats okay...lets hope some on at hp see this and give me what i want!!!! PERHAPS we could get one on the new 4700.
If the rumors are as is suggested, the 4700 would be already finalized, so either it has it already or it doesn't. ;)

--janak