View Full Version : nPOPw

marlof
11-06-2003, 01:00 PM
As some of you might know, I've been a big fan of <a href="http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html">nPOP</a> for quite some while. It's a great little application that can help you manage your POP3 boxes while on the road. Scheduled send and receive for multiple accounts? No problem. Manual control over what to delete on the server? No problem. Set a specific name and password for your SMTP server? No problem. Downloading only a few lines of text? No problem. Looking up addresses from your contacts list. Ouch. A problem. <br /><br />The developer of nPOP, Nakashima "Nakka" Tomoaki, wanted to keep the different versions of nPOP as similar as possible, so he didn't build a contact list lookup into nPOP as it already had its own address book. Since it's a open source program, others could step in and do just that. And now Wibble-Wobble did by creating <a href="http://www.wibble-wobble.com/wince/npopw/">nPOPw</a>. Every time you start the program, it will look up your contacts list, and add those to the address book of nPOP if you choose to do so. And that's not all they did. The complete list of added features: <br />• Added Support for read and delivery receipts. <br />• Added support for mail priorities (High, Normal and Low). <br />• Added file safety mechanism to prevent data loss when device fails or is softreset occurs. <br />• Added option to use the Pocket Outlook Contacts list instead of the nPOP addressbook. <br />• Added Save All option to commit changes to the File System without exiting. <br />• Added HTML option in the INI file for Externally viewing HTML mail in Pocket IE. <br />:soapbox: No, it doesn't support composing HTML messages. And rightfully so. It's an e-mail program, and HTML doesn't belong in e-mail. But I digress.<br /><br />My favorite freeware application just got better. If you want a better control over your POP3 e-mail boxes from your Pocket PC, I can only advise you to check out <a href="http://www.wibble-wobble.com/wince/npopw/">nPOPw</a>. It's freeware, so what's keeping you?

adamz
11-06-2003, 01:54 PM
I'm still waiting for an email program that will let you transfer DRAFT emails selectively between Outlook and the Pocket PC. (Like we used to be able to do!) Heck, I'd be happy with one that can syncronize the Draft folder with IMAP servers properly.
I agree about HTML email. I'm glad Outlook 2003 lets you shut off the display of HTML emails completely.

ChristopherTD
11-06-2003, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the tip, I especially like being able to see the size of mail messages before I choose to download them.

I am trying to get my SMTP server setup, which is a separate server from my POP3 server. But when I send mail I get the cryptic message "The transmission former mail address is not correctly set".

Do you have any clues what this might mean?

Thanks
Christopher

mpattman
11-06-2003, 02:20 PM
At a guess, it sounds like to me that your SMTP server is rejecting you because of your from address.

ChristopherTD
11-06-2003, 02:23 PM
I think I have to open a POP session first with the SMTP server. That is what I have to do with Inbox, but I thought the nPop option for POP before SMTP might do that.

mpattman
11-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Yes it should do, the server I use requires me to POP before SMTP (with Authentication)

I have just looked through the source code, it looks like this error message comes up if the "from" address is empty when sending the mail. At this point I don't think that you are talking to the outside world. Check the address entry in the SMTP section of the account settings.

ChristopherTD
11-06-2003, 02:31 PM
Aha - what should the address contain? The SMTP server?

mpattman
11-06-2003, 02:33 PM
On mine the Address field in the SMTP section contains my out going e-mail address and the SMTP Server entry conatins the server name or address.

ChristopherTD
11-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Excellent tip! That works, at least when the POP and SMTP server are the same. Now I can try with my slightly more complex setup...

Thanks for the swift and helpful replies!

mpattman
11-06-2003, 02:37 PM
If you have more problems please drop me a mail at [email protected]

Jonathan1
11-06-2003, 03:05 PM
:soapbox: No, it doesn't support composing HTML messages. And rightfully so. It's an e-mail program, and HTML doesn't belong in e-mail. But I digress.

Amen. I hate HTML e-mails. :idontthinkso: I auto filter any HTML that comes into my e-box. Too big of a threat. And I never send out HTML e-mails always rich text or plain text.

gorkon280
11-06-2003, 05:49 PM
E-mail should only be text. That said, even I am somewhat in the market for a new mail program as sometimes clueless companies DO send something important to me that is in HTML. It would be nice to at least get the content of the e-mail off (with stripping of the images set ON!).

iPaqDude
11-07-2003, 12:08 AM
That said, even I am somewhat in the market for a new mail program as sometimes clueless companies DO send something important to me that is in HTML. It would be nice to at least get the content of the e-mail off (with stripping of the images set ON!).

Me too. I have been waiting for the good folks over at Pocket Informant to get @Mail working for WM2K3, but might have to start looking elsewhere due to the amount of HTML based email that I am receiving. :(

qmrq
11-07-2003, 07:38 AM
:soapbox: No, it doesn't support composing HTML messages. And rightfully so. It's an e-mail program, and HTML doesn't belong in e-mail. But I digress.
:clap: I can't stand receiving HTML formatted email.

PeteTh
11-07-2003, 10:37 AM
I've been trying nPOPw, and it's great, but although I can get read emails and mark them for deletion (and succesfully delete), I can't seem to send any emails. Here's what I tried in the SMTP options

Name: my name
Address: my email address from my isp
SMTP : ISP's SMTP Server

then I tried a few authentication permutations e.g :-

1) with no SMTP-AUTH

get :-
554 email address : recipient address rejected: Relay access denied

2) with Enable SMTP-AUTH
- use POP3 option

get:-
Failed in the login of the smtp server

502 Error : command not implemented

3) with Enable SMTP-AUTH
- NO use POP3 option

get:-
Failed in the login of the smtp server

502 Error : command not implemented

Is this because my ADSL ISP doesn't allow me to send emails to other addresses unless I'm using their connection ? I thought the enable SMTP-AUTH option was usually a way around this ?

mpattman
11-07-2003, 03:06 PM
I've been trying nPOPw, and it's great, but although I can get read emails and mark them for deletion (and succesfully delete), I can't seem to send any emails. Here's what I tried in the SMTP options ........

You should have a mail from me about this, I hope that it helps.

mcasanova
11-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Sorry fellas, installed it in my pdasaurus (jornada 567) run it and, voilâ, it provoked a hard reset. I restored my last back up (1 month old) reinstalled, re-run it and, again, pda hard reset itself. Conclusion, it's not compatible with Jornada. To the developer: I tried to runnit from the "safe store" so maybe the problem is there

mpattman
11-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Sorry to hear about your problem, I will try to lay my hands on one of these to give it a go. Does the original version of nPOP from nakka do the same ?

ctmagnus
11-11-2003, 10:22 PM
nPOPw works wonderfully on my 5550, which was having issues with the built-in Inbox.