View Full Version : Ambicom CF GPS

buckyg
11-04-2003, 02:50 AM
Hi all,
First, let me say, I'm pretty much a novice w/ GPS stuff, so this isn't a detailed, info-filled review.

I have a 5555 and my wife has my old 5455. Previously, I'd picked up a Pharos CF GPS. While it was nice and worked well, it's not a good one for the 5xxx series. The iPAQ wireless antenna keeps the GPS from connecting properly. So I finally had to go with a dual PCMCIA sleeve I found on sale. Worked fine, but I had quite the heavy brick. Anyway, the Pharos is my only personal point of comparison.

I hadn't seen anything on this GPS, but I just picked one up the other day.
http://ambicom.com/products/gps/gps-cf.html

The Ambicom fits very well in any CF sleeve. The only drawback is that it does stick out a bit, making the iPAQ a couple of inches longer.

It seems to work better than the Pharos. The Ambicom locked on to the satellites much faster. While it comes with an external antenna, so far, I haven't needed to use it in my car. Can't wait for my big road trip at the end of the month.

It comes w/ PocketMap Navigator software. So far, I haven't used it, am using Mapopolis, which works well. Will have to load up the other software to see which I like better.

That is my two cents. Someone with more GPS experience may have other things to say. I had not seen any posts on this, so I wanted to throw this out there.

Best regards,
buckyg

lanwarrior
12-04-2003, 12:45 AM
Hey buckyg,

Great info! I too had purchased the Ambicom GPS CF Card. Although the card works great, I found that the built-in antenae (not the external antenae) is not sensitive enough. At least where I live (Bay Area), many times I have to use the external antenae to get a fix from the GPS Satellite. Even when I am in car with a clear view of the sky, the GPS will fail to get a fix and I must hook up the external antenae.

The software, PocketMap Navigator, it's great but a bit cumbersome to use compared to Routis.