View Full Version : Total newbie question

freakygreek
11-04-2003, 01:17 AM
As you will see my question confirms of how much of a newb I am. I was trying to copy files(music) to my sd card using real one, but was unable to have real one reconize my sd. Adding a new device didn't help either Hp was not listed as a supported portable device. After much tearing of paper,I let MR.Furious out, :evil: I happened to notice that I also had Wmp and through a help file I quickly realized there was still hope for me. :D . After much trial and error I finally copied music files to my SD card. It was a joyeous occassion. I was thinking of buying a card reader/writer thinking file copying would be easier what do u guys think.

Many Thanks

spursdude
11-04-2003, 01:20 AM
The easiest method is, like you mentioned, to get a card reader. That way your SD card shows up just as another drive in "My Computer" and you can drag and drop, and there's nothing getting in the way of the speed of your transfers.

The second to easiest method is to use ActiveSync - with ActiveSync on the PC, when connected, click "Explore" and then you can find where you want to put the files on your PPC (or SD card in your PPC) and drag and drop, although the files transfers will be slightly slower.

I really don't recommend at all using any other programs like RealOne or WMP for the file transfer (and I don't recommend using RealOne for anything, in fact :evil: ).

szamot
11-04-2003, 07:33 AM
well you can always right click on the active sync icon, explore and paste the files in. Works like charm everytime. Not as fast as card reader but free. RealONE is best left uninstalled.

freakygreek
11-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Thanks for responding to my question, but if I'm not to use WMP or Realone,which I've uninstalled, that leave's me with Roxio. I still can't seem to just drag and drop the files into my sd card by exploring activesync. I know I'm doing something wrong but I can't see it. I'm trying to convert my cd collection into mp3's and I'm now using roxio since I was told not to record using Wmp. Am I to record the files on my hard drive and then bring them over to my sd, and is using roxio the better way to record them.

Many thanks from a total newbie

szamot
11-04-2003, 06:15 PM
if you are ripping CD then you should consider using CDEX it's in beta, has been for years, and it is free, and it works like charm.

spursdude
11-05-2003, 02:50 AM
As it seems you know, getting music from a CD to your PPC is a two step process. First, you rip the CD using one of many programs - many use CDEX; you can also use QCD Player (http://www.quinnware.com) or Windows Media Player to rip .wma files, which I like more than MP3. With this step, you don't need to worry about your PPC.

Once your files are encoded into MP3 or WMA or whatever compressed format you like, then you can transfer the files from your hard drive (wherever you encoded them to) to your PPC with the methods I described earlier - with ActiveSync or a card reader.

freakygreek
11-05-2003, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the info I've done just that but I'm using Roxio's easy cd creater software. The soundstream option makes the process very easy.
Now to post an IE question.

Many Thanks