View Full Version : Strange problems with new 4155

meck
11-03-2003, 04:21 PM
Hi everyone - I just got an iPaq 4155 and I'm having some strange problems... any thoughts on these would be appreciated:

1 - Sometimes when I try to turn the unit off, the backlight stays on but the screen is blank. I don't always notice this, so it drains the battery... why won't the backlight just shut off?

2 - WMP sporadically pauses itself when it isn't the active application. I have it set to continue playing when I'm using other apps but that doesn't seem to help. It doesn't happen after a specific time that I can tell.

3 - All wireless connections are flaky - BT, Wi-Fi (multiple networks). The connection will just drop and reconnect after a few seconds. Signal strength and battery level are great.

4 - The unit will shut itself off while I'm using it - usually when I'm using wi-fi. Battery is good, so it's not that... but it comes right back on when I hit the power button.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jason Dunn
11-03-2003, 05:19 PM
I've seen #1 before, but not the others. I'm not sure what causes #1, but suspect it will be something HP will fix in ROM update.

JustinGTP
11-03-2003, 09:24 PM
#4 - Do you have the "Turn Device Off after X Minutes" feature on? If so, go to Start > Settings > System > Power and change it. That may solve your problem.

-Justin.

meck
11-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Honda_Civic_Si:

It was enabled before, I figured that shouldn't shut the unit off while I'm actually working with it... writing emails and whatnot... so I shut it off and the problem still popped up.

A little update - I did a hard reset and so far these problems haven't come up - the only other thing I had installed before was the latest PocketPlus - maybe it isn't as compatible with 2003 & the latest devices as they say on the website?

Pat Logsdon
01-09-2004, 07:19 PM
1 - Sometimes when I try to turn the unit off, the backlight stays on but the screen is blank. I don't always notice this, so it drains the battery... why won't the backlight just shut off?
I just had this problem with my 4150. It seems to be related to ActiveSync - at least in my case.

When I uncradled it this morning, I believe that I interrupted ActiveSync when it was attempting to sync. When I turned it on when I got to work, I got a pop-up saying that it couldn't connect because the network wasn't available. I dismissed it and tried to turn the unit off. I noticed that the backlight was still on, even though the screen went blank.

Odd. I did a soft reset, and after it was done, I was able to really turn the unit off - no backlight issue. HOWEVER (isn't there usually a however?), about five minutes later, I got the same "cannot connect" bubble, which I again dismissed, and again the backlight stayed on when I attempted to turn the unit off.

I assumed that the problem was related to the interrupted sync at home, so maybe I could fix the problem by getting the PPC to sync successfully. Fortunately, my main computer at work is a laptop, equipped with an IR port, so I just established an AS relationship with it via IR and unchecked all of the sync boxes. It connected properly, and I stopped the connection via the "Stop" button on the PPC.

I'm not getting any popups now, and the backlight goes off when the power button is pressed.

I'm not sure why ActiveSync would need to mess with the backlight settings, but at least the problem was solveable... :?

cardcousin
01-10-2004, 01:14 AM
Fortunately, my main computer at work is a laptop, equipped with an IR port, so I just established an AS relationship with it via IR and unchecked all of the sync boxes. It connected properly, and I stopped the connection via the "Stop" button on the PPC.

I couldn't lurk any longer. Got the 4150 for Christmas and am obsessed with it. Big thanks to Surgical Snack for killing two birds with one stone...I was debating getting another cradle to synch at work - I didn't even think to use the IR. Now if I can just find the "STOP" button, instead of ripping the ipaq out of the cradle after it's synchronized, I think I'm way ahead of the game...(haven't had the issues mentioned in the thread, but I'd like to avoid them all the same. :wink:

shawnc
01-10-2004, 02:50 AM
A little update - I did a hard reset and so far these problems haven't come up - the only other thing I had installed before was the latest PocketPlus - maybe it isn't as compatible with 2003 & the latest devices as they say on the website?

You never can tell with these things but I have PocketPlus on my 4150 and have not seen any of the problems you have listed.

Pat Logsdon
01-10-2004, 03:33 AM
I couldn't lurk any longer. Got the 4150 for Christmas and am obsessed with it. Big thanks to Surgical Snack for killing two birds with one stone...
Welcome, congratulations, and no problem! :mrgreen:

Now if I can just find the "STOP" button, instead of ripping the ipaq out of the cradle after it's synchronized, I think I'm way ahead of the game...
Once the synchronization has stopped, you shouldn't need to stop the synchronization before removing the device from the cradle...I just did that due to the nature of my problem. :)

Tripz
01-10-2004, 08:39 AM
#3 has happened to me during wi-fi use only. i'd notice it cut in and out even though the signal strength was full. :?:

Bluetooth would only cut out when the signal got really weak.

just
01-10-2004, 10:55 AM

I get this quite often, seems to occur when I have WiFi enabled.

Tripz
01-12-2004, 07:22 PM

I get this quite often, seems to occur when I have WiFi enabled.

and now that u guys are talking about it, yesterday i did get this happening to me too after i un-cradled it while it was on. when i tried to shut it off......blank screen, backlight still on. Arrrrgggh.
but...
did a soft reset, everything ok. :wink:

JGRicci
02-04-2004, 07:04 PM
just started having some of these problems myself. specifically the backlight stayed on this morning... fixed with a soft rest,
Random shutdown occuring for no reason, not sure what's causing it.

I as well have pocketPlus installed, but it was working fine for a while... not sure if it's what's causing it.