View Full Version : Serial connection without Activesync?

sumanjay
11-03-2003, 08:57 AM
Is it possible to browse the contents of the memory of a 3600 series with a serial connection and no Activesync? I need to know since the PC at work does not have any USB slots (but it does have a serial one) and I can't install any software on it. I'd still like to transfer stuff from the Ipaq to the PC and vice versa, though I'm not particular about synchronising. I'd just like to "Explore" the contents of the Ipaq and move them between the PC and the Ipaq.

Any ideas?

qmrq
11-03-2003, 12:45 PM
Not sure how you'd go about doing this, or IF it can be done. A better solution would be to use a flash card to store and move things around.

Sven Johannsen
11-03-2003, 05:54 PM
Only one potential option I can think of...run an ftp server on your PPC. Yes they exist. www.cam.com

Janak Parekh
11-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Only one potential option I can think of...run an ftp server on your PPC. Yes they exist. www.cam.com
This is a good idea, but only if you can establish a PPP connection over a serial port between a Pocket PC and the connected desktop. To do that, you'd need a PPP server on one of the two devices. In short, it might be possible, but rather difficult. :|

I think IR might be a better way to go, if serial-to-IR adapters are readily accessible, although I've never tried that either.

--janak