View Full Version : Screen Protectors

Darius Wey
11-03-2003, 07:39 AM
I'm sure someone has raised this topic b4...

With screen protectors, is there any way to put them on without leaving adhesive marks...so in other words, can you put on screen protectors so that all you see is this nice crystal clear plastic on the LCD, or are those adhseive marks underneath unavoidable?

If anyone has any tips, please do tell! :D

I have the Belkin 1900 Series screen protectors on my h1940 at the moment.

Anthony Caruana
11-03-2003, 12:16 PM
I can only advise you to apply the protector as slowly as you can

The trick is to go really slowly and to use a credit caro or business card to press the protector down so as to push the air bubbles out as you go.

I just my first PocketPC Techs write shields and the went on very easily with no bubbles.

Highly recommended

dMores
11-03-2003, 01:36 PM
there are some that lock into place by the edges, you sort of have to insert the sides underneath the case to the left and right.

others are held in place by static cling, they don't really stick, but sort of stick the way thin rubber sticks to glass.

don't ask me for names, i don't know which one does which.

Thinkingmandavid
11-03-2003, 01:58 PM
HOw about checking out the ones at covertec http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/covertec/screen.asp
They seem to be high quality to me and I am thinking about buying them myself.

tanalasta
11-03-2003, 02:17 PM
With the belkin screen protectors, I use them too as I find they are one of the best on the market - pity their replacement styli scratch their own protectors but that's off topic. :roll:

Please don't tell me you remove the protectors (they're expensive!!! and my last one lasted 6 months!) as if you leave them on for about a week you'll be pleasantly surprised - the adhesive marks fade over time and you're left with a very clear and pretty (if transparent can be pretty) screen protector. 8) If they don't then I'm afraid we're on different wavelengths. Hope that helps!

And yes, do apply them straight and slowly, using the smoother as you go along and obviously make sure your screen is clean and dust-free before you start! I usually expose about 1-2cm of the protector, line it up touching the top of the screen and don't proceed until i'm sure it's straight for best results.

rzanology
11-03-2003, 02:37 PM
DO NOOOT put those ugly things on your ipaq. not only does it make the screen look ugly...but it feels funny when writing!

sysh
11-03-2003, 02:38 PM
I just bought the NuShield screen protector..but am still waiting to get it..
but i heard it was pretty good

will tell ya bout it once it arrives

Thinkingmandavid
11-03-2003, 06:04 PM
So nobody wants to try the ones from covertec, it is a material from japan :)

Magmus
11-04-2003, 04:47 AM
Has anyone tried the EXiM Screen Protector from www.pda-now.com?

Anthony Caruana
11-04-2003, 05:06 AM
I'm currently using Poclcet PC Techs Writeshields and they rock! Clear. easy to apply and nice feel with the stylus.

I've used the Belkin adhesive ones and they suck. I've also used the Proporta ones. They're easy to apply and pretty nice but they scratched too easily.

When I've been between protectors I've made my own from acetate sheets. I cut them to 78 by 58 mm for my 2210.

Brad Adrian
11-04-2003, 05:09 AM
I'm currently using Pocket PC Techs Writeshields and they rock!
I've tried many kinds, and these, too, are my favorites. Some of the others leave too soft a writing surface or don't stay clean very long. If you can swing the expense, I'd go with the Writeshields (because I think they're more expensive than some of the others).

Magmus
11-04-2003, 05:22 AM
I've read lots of reviews stating that the WriteShields cloud the display. I'm looking more for protectors that don't affect the image much like the G2s.

I was planning on buying G2s but the website doesn't have the 2210 listed and I still haven't received a responce back inquiring about the protectors for the 2210.

However, at this point Boxwave ClearTouch and NuShield are my top choices right. I would get the WriteShields if they didn't distort the image.

DimensionZero
11-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Here's my 2 cents about the ClearTouch.

I've been using it for about two months now, and it's definately served it's purpose, but after about a month, month and a half of use, the wear and tear really starts to show...

I'd say that I'd be an average user... Look up contacts, read articles via AvantGo, play a bunch of games, Nevo...

Anyways, you can really see where I've been using the text entry cuz you see the points where I've either tapped on the keyboard/wrote on the letter recognizer or any other heavy use areas (start and close)

On the plus side, I really like the feel of the screen protector, and it definatey reduces the glare... A little hopeless when you're outdoors, but I think that's partly due to the screen itself.

Installation was super easy, just make sure you line it up straight when you place it. I had to peel it back a few times to get it right but after that, a few swipes with a credit card and you're golden!

Being in a dust free environment is definately recommened as well. I did this in my room and caught a few dust particles under the protector but it wasn't too a big deal... I never noticed them when the screen was on.

Cleaning was a breeze, just wash it under the tap... Drying is a pain cuz everything leaves particles.. Took me a bunch of time to get it back on..

Not sure what else to say... But that's my experience...

Personally I give the ClearTouch a 7 out of 10... Just becuz I kind of expected a longer lifespan. On the flip side, it's not really that expensive to replace.

Flavinha
11-06-2003, 11:41 AM
I agreed perfectly on the person that said:

"DO NOOOT put those ugly things on your ipaq. not only does it make the screen look ugly...but it feels funny when writing!"

I removed my screen protector bc it was too durty and as I saw the screen without it I thoght to myself, why use something that makes my iPaq so nasty and ugly???????

IŽd rather not use it and be more careful with my screen.

Flavinha

Darius Wey
11-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Don't you find it ironic that no matter how hard you try not to scratch your PPC screen, there always seems to be a new hairline scratch every day? :roll:

PDA-NOW
11-07-2003, 06:41 AM
Just to give a brief intro to EXiM Ultra Screen Protector.

It can last for a year or more without being scratched under normal usage.

It's self-adhesive by silicon coating, NOT GLUE, therefore leaves NO STAINS when it's removed. And it's WASHABLE and REUSABLE.

The "Cloudy" texture is to give better anti-glare performance when used in outdoor conditions, and add further strength to scratch resistance. The visible light transmission rate is higher than 90%.

Pictures at: http://www.pda-now.com/screenprotector.php

Darius Wey
11-07-2003, 06:51 AM
BTW, when they say these screen protectors last for a month, or a yr, or whatever...like do these things just literally fall off or what? Or do they start to get really opaque that you gotta take it off yourself?

ale2999
11-07-2003, 08:46 AM
hehe I am cheap and I use my homemade screen protectors!

Darius Wey
11-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Homemade?!?!?!?

I hope your plastic isn't actually scratching the screen ^_^.
And does it actually stick to the screen?

Actually, if you have a picture, I would love to see it!

PDA-NOW
11-07-2003, 01:19 PM
By saying "last for a year", I mean the writing surface will stay unscratched under normal usage.

The screen protector adheres on the lcd screen and will not fall out unless you peel it off.

Anthony Caruana
11-07-2003, 01:32 PM
I've made homemade protectors as well. Just get a sheet of acetate (transparency file) and cut it to 59 by 79 mm. You can use it on your 2200 series. It is slightly larger than the screen but will fit as you can slide it under the bezel around the screen.

I've found that one sheet can give you about 20 protectors and each is good for about a week or two of use.

EDIT - just saw the typos I had in my original post so I cleaned them up

ale2999
11-07-2003, 04:07 PM
I dont have a digital camera, but I will take a pic using a webcam tonit :D
mine is made of the same stuff (clear vynil) and I dont even need to tuck it under anything, as the plastic sticks to the screen on its own :P when I had to send the Ipaq back for servicing, I took it the screen protector off and it looked mint!

PetiteFlower
11-08-2003, 03:58 AM
vinyl is NOT the same as acetate! they both will work but in different ways :)

Darius Wey
11-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Hey Anthony...

Which store in Australia did you get your 'acetate' from...like Bunnings or something?

pocketpcfox
11-08-2003, 04:01 PM
Homemade?!?!?!?

I hope your plastic isn't actually scratching the screen ^_^.
And does it actually stick to the screen?

Actually, if you have a picture, I would love to see it!

No really, it can work if you are careful.

A single sheet (A4) for an overhead projector can give you at least six protectors and is more than enough protection for the screen underneath.

You need to handle it like a photographic negative, of course, holding it by the edges as you cut it with sissors to size.

It really is quite easy and economical -- we're talking pennies a protector! The slight drawback is the plastic surface is prone to more scratching that other protectors, but then again, you have a bunch ready from the original sheet. I change mine once every three months.

spcarso
11-08-2003, 06:38 PM
I have been using the Boxwave for about 3 or 4 months and my experience has been fantastic. (Click <a href=http://www.boxwave.com/products/cleartouch/ct_ipaq_2200.htm>here</a> to order) I would completely recommend it. For me, I want a protector that didn't look bad as it wore down. This thing looks the same as when I bought it, and I am a heavy user - writing on my entire display for most of the day. I love the fact that it doesn't distrort the display since I use my handheld to show movie trailers to my clients. Never once have I had someone say that the screen looked cloudy or faint. I have recommended this protector to my other 2200 totin' friends (I have converted 4 people. - insert evil laugh here.)

Anthony Caruana
11-08-2003, 10:30 PM
Hey Anthony...

Which store in Australia did you get your 'acetate' from...like Bunnings or something?

To be honest I sort of borrowed a sheet from the stationery cupboard from work. I think that the ones that worked best were branded "Celcast".

Acetate is the stuff that many overhead transparency sheets are made from.

Darius Wey
11-09-2003, 05:27 AM
Thanks Anthony...

I've got about a million overhead transparency sheets sitting here in the office. Will give that a go.

straysheepie
11-09-2003, 06:33 AM
I'm using the Martin Fields screen protector for my Ipaq 2215 right now, and I love it!

I had come across the brand as one highly recommended for cell phones, so I ordered one for my phone and Ipaq and am impressed with both. The one for my phone (SE T610) fits well and the Ipaq one took me awhile to put on since I'm not used to it, but the screens look *better* with the protector - colours are brighter, and I'm very impressed with them! :way to go:

ale2999
11-09-2003, 10:40 AM
srry for the UGLY quality (dumb webcam, Ill get a canon a70 sometime in the future)
in real life its not as bad as it show :)
http://www.ale2999.supereva.it/screenprotector1.jpg

http://www.ale2999.supereva.it/screenprotector2.jpg

http://www.ale2999.supereva.it/screenprotector3.jpg

http://www.ale2999.supereva.it/screenprotector4.jpg

ctmagnus
11-09-2003, 10:30 PM
http://www.ale2999.supereva.it/screenprotector1.jpg

Necronomicon!

Magmus
11-11-2003, 03:30 PM
I ended up buying the G2 screen protectors for my 2210 after John (of pdascreenprotectors.com) replied saying that the 1910 screen protectors will work fine since the screen is the same size.

Took me about 30 minutes to install since it was quite difficult to get rid of all the dust from underneath(had to do it in the washroom with a hot shower running). Other than getting rid of the dust I found the installation quite easy. Fits perfectly on the 2210, looks like there's no screen protector at all. The surface is nice and smooth(more so than the screen itself). Highly recommend it.

sysh
11-13-2003, 10:23 AM
I just got my screen protector for my H2210 from NuShield.. took me about 5 minutes to clean and fasten it on..and it's looking good.. doesn't even look like there is a screen protector on it