View Full Version : Does Handango censor reviews

ChristopherTD
11-02-2003, 09:28 AM
Early last week I posted a negative review on Handango of "Dose-A-Day Dilbert", giving it 1 star, explaining that it was so restrictive that it was useless (you can't look at any day except today and the Favorites feature is broken).

After a week the review hasn't appeared, are only positive reviews allowed??

Just curious - I have requested a refund but the procedure is so convoluted I don't hold much hope, especially as it has to be snail mailed and the postmen are on strike here. I wanted others to avoid wasting their money, or at least have a caution.

Thinkingmandavid
11-02-2003, 03:54 PM
I would not give up on getting your refund, and then I would go ahead and type your review a second time and see what happens.

chunkymonkey75
11-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a negative review posted on their site...

carphead
11-02-2003, 06:14 PM
The reviews goto the software house for posting first. Like up never see negative comments on direct snail mail.

The PocketTV Team
11-03-2003, 12:37 AM
Early last week I posted a negative review on Handango of "Dose-A-Day Dilbert", giving it 1 star, explaining that it was so restrictive that it was useless (you can't look at any day except today and the Favorites feature is broken).

After a week the review hasn't appeared, are only positive reviews allowed??

Just curious - I have requested a refund but the procedure is so convoluted I don't hold much hope, especially as it has to be snail mailed and the postmen are on strike here. I wanted others to avoid wasting their money, or at least have a caution.
Yes, they do censor reviews if they contain foul or derogatory language, or are out of topic, or not fair, or personal attacks, etc.

All reviews posted on Handango are reviewed and approved by handango before publishing.

I don't think they would censor all negative reviews.

But I wrote some negative (but accurate) comments regarding some product with deceptive advertising, and they were never published...

Apparently Handango has no problem with fake reviews obviously written by the product authors, like those of PictPocket Cinema (http://www.handango.com//PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=567C5B8B1989X99B169CA6A4XFX75A1A&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=38566).

Thinkingmandavid
11-03-2003, 02:35 AM
well then that explains a lot. In that case we cant even trust the reviews that are posted on there, so we might as well do the trial offer and go by each others experiences and suggestions and to h**l with their reviews :devilboy:

The PocketTV Team
11-03-2003, 03:08 AM
Yes, usually you get more un-biased reviews on public forums like here, brighthand and other similar sites...

The PocketTV Team
11-04-2003, 05:38 PM
Note that Handango, by moderating the reviews, also prevents lots of junk from getting there.

One exemple:

Dear Software Partner,

The following review was submitted to Handango. After review by the
editorial team, it was determined that it should not be published on
the Handango Web site. As a courtesy to you, we notify you each time
a review is approved or rejected by the Handango staff. We send you
the reviewer's contact information because we realize you may want
to offer technical support or other help to the customer

If you have any questions, please contact us immediately at
[email protected]. Do not confront the customer directly about
a review you believe is unfair or unacceptable

Please keep in mind that Handango reserves the right to cease
providing any Software Partner with the reviewer's contact
information if valid customer complaints are received.

The following review for your product was NOT published on the
Handango Web site.

The description of the review submitted by:
jflfklk from spain
Email Address: [email protected]
For: PocketTV Français (Language Pack)

Rating: 2 out of 5
One line summary: jhhhlf
Description: fjkfhlfh

ChristopherTD
11-04-2003, 05:45 PM
So presumably I will be told (eventually) that my review is rejected on the grounds that it may harm sales!

Thinkingmandavid
11-04-2003, 05:50 PM
The PocketTV Team, thanks for informing us how they do things at Handango.
So then it is about sales, I can see how some people reviewing may be unfair nad it may only be one persons opinion, so in that sense a software may get a bad rap even if it doesnt deserve it.

I am just wondering what they go by to determine what does get published?? Is it how that person is feeling? What if they use the software?

ChristopherTD
11-04-2003, 06:18 PM
I have often read bad opinions of products on Amazon, and that is all they are - one persons opinion. You can usually tell from the way the report is written whether to take note of the comments.

Handango are right to prevent meaningless or offensive reports, but if they exclude constructive criticism they should change the heading to "Selected Positive Customer Reviews."

Thinkingmandavid
11-04-2003, 06:20 PM
That is a thought, changing the title because they are actually filtering comments and that isnt fair. Then just about everything on handango is good because of comments when in reality it is lop sided, baised,etc.

ChristopherTD
11-13-2003, 12:05 PM
Well I got my refund today, but in a cheque for US$19 which will be worthless by the time the bank has finished converting it to GBP. I don't know why they couldn't refund the credit card like everybody else...

And my review never did get posted.

(Grumble for the day over)

Thinkingmandavid
11-13-2003, 02:25 PM
There u have it. Something that should have been easy for customer service to have taken care of.