View Full Version : D-pad problem with IPAQ 2215

John_Doe_002
11-01-2003, 06:12 AM
I am at my second unit from Amazon.com

The first one had a problem with d-pad - in MS Reader pressing it to the left button would sometimes move me several pages back instead of just one. Not every time, but often enough to be annoying and inappropriate for the brand-new device worth that much. Up, Right and Down directions worked flawlessly, so it is not a "adjust sensitivity" problem.

So I sent it back, got a credit and bought the second one from Amazon again.

Similar problem with left direction of d-pad. Sometimes it doesn't work at all, and sometimes it moves me several pages back instead of one. Up, Down and right work great. This time even the sound the Left makes is different from other 3 directions.

I am fairly upset at this point.

Has anybody had similar problems with their d-pad ?

What is the best thing to do now ? Return it again and try buying locally ? This would cost more.

Is it worth it to send it to HP for repair ? Has anyone tried it and had this problem successfully fixed ? How long is HP turnaround time for this kind of repair ?

Also: can you check how Left d-pad direction works on your device in MS Reader ? Does it also skip several pages sometimes ? Please post your results (you have to try several times to see this happen)

gonzo
11-01-2003, 07:08 AM
I have exactly the same problem, but only on moving down pages.
I've just been coping with it for now....IMHO iaq d-pads have always been poor quality.

1st other person ive heard having the problem, so it's obviously not widespread.

It's not just ms reader though, I use palm reader and it does it in that.

only realy in the down direction though. theirs no dirt in their that i can see. I've tried wobbling it around and no luck.

You can keep trying to send it back, but theirs no guarantee that you won't have the same problem, and if you keep sending it back, your less likely to get a refund.

Paula
11-02-2003, 12:51 AM
This is not a fault it is just a setting that needs to be changed.
I have been trying to find the tweak here and at Brighthand, no luck so far. So all you will have to do is just change one little setting and your problems will be solved. I will continue to look for it.

I actually saved this to a file. I'm not sure who posted it so I can't acknowledged them (sorry).

Go to Start -> Settings and launch 'Buttons'. Go to Up/Down Control tab and Delay and Repeat rates. adjust the settings as it suits you.

Paula

ignar
11-02-2003, 02:26 AM
I had the same problem with down button. Tweaking delay/repeat rates didn't work for me. I finally solved the problem by selling 2215 and got a 4150. :twisted: Inaccurate D-button along with falling off side grips was more than enough reason to dump 2215 for me. I'm very happy with 4150's D-button. It's much more firm and accurate.