View Full Version : I'm staying awake as long as I can! W?BIC!

David Prahl
10-31-2003, 06:52 AM
I didn't really do anything today - I didn't have school, I didn't go to work, and I just ended up sitting around. And being bored.

So for fun, I'm going to see how long I can stay awake. I got 12 hours of sleep last night (:oops:), and have been awake since 10:00am CST. Let's see what happens!

Thursday - 11:51pm - Decided that I was going to do this. Stretched the definition of "Off-Topic" by cramming a mini-blog into a forum thread. Started playing the Sims. (awake for 13 hours, 51 minutes)

Friday - 12:21am - The alpha male (no, not me) of the house has decided that I should go to sleep. Dang! Must've been that CD going 52x that woke him up!

Friday- 12:29am - Nevermind! Convinced him to let me stay up as long as I can. We're still in business! :mrgreen:

Friday - 1:09am - Just did some English homework, and started to back up my Pocket PC. You wouldn't believe how long it takes to send a 50 MB file over USB 1.0! Started working on a review for PPCT.

Friday - 2:06am - The muscles above my right eye have started twitching. A few minutes of pressure calmed them down, but for a while I was doing a great Spock impression. I'd go outside to watch the Northern Lights, but it's cloudy. And cold. And dark.

Friday - 4:09am - I've finished writing the text for my latest software review, but just realized that the trial version of the screenshot software I was using placed an annoying logo on all of the screenshots I worked so hard to get just right. Anyone know of a good way to get screenshots out of a full-screen game on the PPC?
I'm getting a little tired, bored, and hungry. Too tired to do Physics homework and not tired enough to watch the slew of informercials on television. Only another hour and a half until breakfast...
(awake for 17 hours 51 minutes)

Friday - 5:31am - The sky hasn't started to brighten yet. Should have dawn at about 6:30. Finally there's something on TV! (awake 18 hours 29 mins) :morning:

Friday - 6:03am - The sky is starting to get a little lighter in the east. I have a head ache. And a stomach ache. I know it's kind of whimpy for me to go to sleep after only 20 hours of wakefulness, but I want to do things today. I'll try and grab two or three hours of sleep and then go to work. :byebye: :zzz:

JustinGTP
10-31-2003, 07:01 AM
A classic example of:

You know you're bored when...

Lol, I stayed up all night once, very exciting (actuall not, but for the thread purpose)

I hope you have fun, but you are going to have to update your avatar to have huge baggy eyes :D

-Justin.

Pat Logsdon
10-31-2003, 07:05 AM
I stayed up for 4 days straight once, back when I was in high school. Things started getting weird after the third day, and I started seeing things that weren't there. When that happened, I decided that I was being stupid and went to bed. Slept for about 20 hours. :mrgreen:

Dave Beauvais
10-31-2003, 08:01 AM
The longest I've been awake in one stretch was about 38 hours in college during finals week about five years ago. I had five finals that week, three of them in one day. To say I was messed up would be an understatement that can only be properly expressed using words inappropriate for this forum. ;) It wasn't staying awake for the sake of staying awake, which is what made it so horrible. Between end-of-the-quarter crap at work and studying for finals, I didn't have enough hours in the day to get stuff done and sleep, too.

Looking back on it, I realize it was perhaps one of the less intelligent things I did in college, but I did survive and managed to pass everything -- barely. I'm sure the stuff I "learned" during those hours has now been forgotten because I can't remember what classes I had that quarter let alone what the test covered. I do remember I went to sleep and was dead to the world for nearly a day. It's probably a good thing there was no fire because I'd have slept through the alarm. (That and I really had to pee when I woke up. :D)

That said, if you're going to continue this little experiment, please don't drive anywhere. Sleep deprivation can do some funky things to your mind and messes with your response time to things like kids running into the street after a ball or people stopping suddenly in front of you. As they say, it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. (Then it's a sport.)

--Dave

Off-topic P.S.: The ad banner with the three thousand emoticons dancing around has been entered as number five on my list of most annoying ad banners. It's stuff like that which make me want to block ads.

David Prahl
10-31-2003, 08:09 AM
As they say, it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. (Then it's a sport.)

:lol:

I don't plan on driving after sleep deprevation - I'll get a ride to work tomorrow. And no, I don't have to work tomorrow - I just enjoy my work and might stop in.

Jimmy Dodd
10-31-2003, 04:08 PM
I stayed awake three days once while I was on deployment with the military setting up an HF radio site. Of course that wasn't just for fun - which is a good thing because it wasn't any fun. I survived on coffee and adreniline and the knowledge that I was working around high voltage. Amazing how the threat of a quick death can keep you awake. 8O

I then slept for eight hours and went back on duty again. It took days to get back to normal.

ironguy
10-31-2003, 04:15 PM
I neglected to do my final term paper for an English class in COllege. SO 3 days before it was due I started. 17 pages later, a box of No-Doz, and typewriter (pre PCs) keys imprinted in my forehead, I finished it. By the time I was done, the black ink on the page kept shifting between black and blue and started moving on the page.

I saw a movie about sleep deprivation. The mind really goes downhill after about 14 hours, but the body keeps right on going as long as it is fueld. They gave the test people written and physical tests and kept them up for 4 days. They almost couldn't complete the written tests after 14 hours, but actually did better in their physical tests!

Dave Beauvais
10-31-2003, 05:37 PM
I'm awake for at least fourteen hours pretty much every day and have no problems functioning. It's when I pass that twenty-hour mark that I start to get a little crazy. ;)

Friday - 6:03am - ... I'll try and grab two or three hours of sleep and then go to work. :byebye: :zzz:
Slacker. ;)

--Dave

JackTheTripper
10-31-2003, 06:36 PM
I'm awake for at least fourteen hours pretty much every day and have no problems functioning. It's when I pass that twenty-hour mark that I start to get a little crazy. ;)

Friday - 6:03am - ... I'll try and grab two or three hours of sleep and then go to work. :byebye: :zzz:
Slacker. ;)

--Dave

I wake up at 6 every morning and go to bed between 11:30 and 12 each night. Now who's the slacker? ;)

Stayed up for about 5 days once. Won't ever do it again. Besides, don't know any suppliers any more.

Janak Parekh
10-31-2003, 06:44 PM
Weak! ;) On my last birthday, I got up at 5:30AM as I had extra work to do and didn't get to sleep until 3AM the next day (which, fortunately, was Saturday). I've done this on numerous occasions... I just avoid doing it for two days in a row. And I manage to get good sleep that night. :lol:

--janak

Pat Logsdon
10-31-2003, 07:13 PM
This thread is starting to remind me of the Monty Python "Four Yorkshiremen (http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm)" sketch...

:mrgreen:

David Prahl
10-31-2003, 07:53 PM
I knew I'd catch flak for only staying up 20 hours. :lol: But I have an excuse - my dad made me go to sleep!

Kati Compton
10-31-2003, 08:05 PM
I knew I'd catch flak for only staying up 20 hours. :lol: But I have an excuse - my dad made me go to sleep!
No, you said you worked it out with him.... :razzing:

JackTheTripper
10-31-2003, 09:14 PM
You're a growing boy, you need your sleep. ;)

http://www.bobx3.com/ppcbast.gif

The fire fighters in So. California are on 40 hour rotations. 40 hours on, 4 to 8 hours sleep. Imagine not only staying awake for 40 hours but having to move heavy equipment, fight a raging forest fire with 100+ foot flames that could at any moment come at you at over 50 miles an hour (Can't out run that) and just generally being under all that pressure to not only put out the fire but to save as many lives and structures as well as keep yourself and you fellow fire fighters safe.

My thoughts go out to them.

David Prahl
10-31-2003, 11:02 PM
No, you said you worked it out with him.... :razzing:

That was around midnight. At 6:20 am or so he told me to get a few hours of shuteye so I "wouldn't be miserable."

I ended up sleeping 4.5 hours, and I have a feeling I'll sleep about 14 tonight! 8O

Janak Parekh
11-01-2003, 01:21 AM
The trick is to have a real purpose to stay up -- you'd be amazed what the body can do when it really has to. As with those firefighters, to whom I couldn't light a candle. :werenotworthy:

Actually, the worst in my case was a demo we had to give on a Monday after getting to the hotel on a Sunday. There were bugs, and we were out hacking late -- until something like 4:30AM. I finally headed for my hotel room then -- I was really losing it. My officemate, however, continued hacking until about 5:15AM, and I then heard him come in, and call room service to wake us up... at 5:45AM. 8O :lol:

We actually managed out OK, although we started feeling it after dinner on Monday evening.

Scarily, I don't think I've ever pulled a true allnighter.

--janak

Thinkingmandavid
11-01-2003, 02:17 AM
Wow, too much loss of sleep 8O
me needs me sleep :zzz:
Right now I am tired but I still have to write an article for the University newsletter for the grad program. but I will stay up a couple of hours then get some shut eye :wink:

karen
11-01-2003, 02:22 AM
My record is 5 days in college, during finals. I was working nearly full time, teaching a class, taking 7 classes and volunteering on a project.

I came home from school on Friday night and slept through til sunday morning, got up, had brunch and went back to school.

My mom thought I was on drugs. I wisshed I was.

Karen

Thinkingmandavid
11-01-2003, 02:28 AM
too long for me. haha, I should be typing away for that article but I am to busy posting on here, go figure.
I have stayed up a few times late but I have this principle I live by.
There isnt any sense in staying up all night to study and then be to tired in the morning for whatever it was that I was studying for. My body more importantly needs the rest. REst is better preparation for me. :wink:

Steven Cedrone
11-01-2003, 03:16 PM
And please don't ask me to diagnose your problems online as people have asked me before.

Doc, every time I see a new Pocket PC released, I want to buy it...

What's my problem??? :lol:

Steve

dean_shan
11-01-2003, 07:55 PM
And please don't ask me to diagnose your problems online as people have asked me before.

Hey I've got this weird growth on my .... :wink:

Thinkingmandavid
11-02-2003, 02:43 AM

hey doc, everytime I cant afford to buy something new for my ppc i get the jitters, what do i do :mrgreen:

Stik
11-02-2003, 04:26 PM
I ' Asked Alice' about the downside of sleep deprivation.

Besides the more obvious disadvantages of a lack of sleep which I think we've all been thru at one time or another ( mental dysfunction ), this is something I was not aware of... :shocked!:

Diabetes

Research from the University of Chicago Medical Center has shown that sleep deprivation interferes with the body's ability to regulate insulin production and sugar metabolism, potentially increasing the risk of diabetes.

Obesity

Some scientists believe that sleep deprivation decreases the production of leptin, a hormone that makes people feel "full" after eating. Without enough leptin, people continue to crave carbs even after they've eaten — leading to overeating and possible obesity.

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2415.html

Get your proper zzz's folks! :sleeping: :way to go:

JackTheTripper
11-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Friday October 31st, 6:00 AM: Wake up, shower and go to work.

Friday October 31st, 5:00 PM: Leave work, go to SF to friends house.

Firday October 31st, 10:00 PM: After eating a little, drinking a little and getting dressed up, head out to Castro and a couple parties.

Saturday November 1st, 4:30 AM: Arrive back at friends house, pop in "Duce Biggalow" and ignore movie while talking to friends.

Saturday November 1st, 6:30 AM: Sun is coming up so I retire to friends spare bedroom.

JustinGTP
11-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Friday October 31st, 6:00 AM: Wake up, shower and go to work.

Friday October 31st, 5:00 PM: Leave work, go to SF to friends house.

Firday October 31st, 10:00 PM: After eating a little, drinking a little and getting dressed up, head out to Castro and a couple parties.

Saturday November 1st, 4:30 AM: Arrive back at friends house, pop in "Duce Biggalow" and ignore movie while talking to friends.

Saturday November 1st, 6:30 AM: Sun is coming up so I retire to friends spare bedroom.

Productivity at its best, eh Jack?

On halloween I drove my sister and her friends around our neighbourhood, we are all on acreages in an estate and so it would take them too much time to walk, he he, plus it was -12 Celsius outside.

-Justin.

maximus
11-04-2003, 08:31 AM
Sleep are for sissies ! (Yeah, I saw someone posted that earlier, forgot whose post that was -- will the original poster please stand up from the crowd?) :mrgreen:

Dec. 30, 1999, we started doing the final testing of our company's Y2K readiness, I noticed the clock passes 8:00 five times in a row, before I finally given up and went to bed. :mrgreen:

Thinkingmandavid
11-04-2003, 02:40 PM
nope nope nope. Thinkingmandavid ALWAYS gets his sleep :twisted:

Janak Parekh
11-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Sleep are for sissies !
That's karinatwork's tagline (almost; "Sleep is for sissies" is the precise tagline, IIRC). ;)

--janak

maximus
11-05-2003, 02:11 AM
Sleep are for sissies !
That's karinatwork's tagline (almost; "Sleep is for sissies" is the precise tagline, IIRC). ;)

--janak

oops. :oops:

JustinGTP
11-05-2003, 03:38 AM
The language barrier gets in the way sometimes, doesn't it Maximus?

-Justin.

ctmagnus
11-05-2003, 04:14 AM
Yes, yes it does. I find that especially with the English-English translations. Being a native English speaker and all. :wink:

JustinGTP
11-05-2003, 05:11 AM
Yes, yes it does. I find that especially with the English-English translations. Being a native English speaker and all. :wink:

:?

Translation into English please? :lol:

-Justin.

Steven Cedrone
11-05-2003, 05:20 AM
You guys just never stay on topic do you???

My favorite quote: "I only speak two languages... English, and bad English..."

Steve

JustinGTP
11-05-2003, 05:21 AM
We expand on the issue currently at hand....

Thinkingmandavid
11-05-2003, 05:30 AM
We expand on the issue currently at hand
true true, we analyze how other factors affect what we are posting about :wink:
mmm, we are in the off-topic thread, so it actually fits in well :)
dam those who get off topic in the other threads :devilboy:

Steven Cedrone
11-05-2003, 05:34 AM
Just remember this: Just beacause a post is in the "Off-Topic" forum, does not mean that there isn't a topic...

That being said, the off-topic posts usually get alot of "leeway" from the mods...

Steve

maximus
11-05-2003, 05:37 AM
Ha ha ha. That was a very smart response from mr. honda.

:rotfl:

Getting back to the topic, other than the 50 straight hours that I spent during Y2K, I usually also experience sleep-depreviation during major game launches ... like baldur's gate, torment, icewind dale, red alerts, C&C generals, zero hours, homeworld 2 ... games are really bad for my health. Good news is ... halflife 2 is not performing that well in my geforce FX 5900 ultra card, so I guess that will be my reason for skipping halflife 2. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thinkingmandavid
11-05-2003, 06:19 AM
Thinkingmandavid wrote
dam those who get off topic in the other threads :devilboy:
so the topic is staying up and not getting sleep, I have been getting less sleep because of a lot of reading materiall. of coure right now i could be sleeping, but i am here :)

maximus
11-05-2003, 10:43 AM
Big deal. It is still 4 pm anyway :p

Thinkingmandavid
11-05-2003, 01:47 PM
Actually, when i typed that it was almost one in the morning, where did you get four pm????

JustinGTP
11-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Maximus is experencing the Language Barrier again, he doesnt understand that everyone doesnt live in his timezone, or he doesnt realize there is more than one coutry than his own with different times :D

-Justin.

Kati Compton
11-05-2003, 05:25 PM
Maximus is experencing the Language Barrier again, he doesnt understand that everyone doesnt live in his timezone, or he doesnt realize there is more than one coutry than his own with different times :D
Oh really? He had a :p after the statement. I think it might be you and Thinkingmandavid that are confused..... :razzing:

JustinGTP
11-05-2003, 06:05 PM
:?

Oh well, interperet anyway you want! Speaking of times, I should get to bed earlier so I get up earlier for school :D

-Justin.

ctmagnus
11-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Maximus... doesnt understand that everyone doesnt live in his timezone, or he doesnt realize there is more than one coutry than his own with different times :D

-Justin.

Well, he is in Oblivion. :wink:

JustinGTP
11-06-2003, 12:43 AM
But he said earlier that he isnt natively an English speaking person...

ctmagnus
11-06-2003, 01:48 AM

I edited my previous post to make a bit more sense.

maximus
11-06-2003, 02:08 AM

-Justin.

HA HA HA. duh. I voted the above post to be the FUNNIEST post in PPCT. ever :p

I guess because I am not a native speaker, that automatically made me a neanderthal guy who still think that the world is flat, like a piece of potato chip floating around that yellow shining ball called the sun :p

Actually, when i typed that it was almost one in the morning, where did you get four pm????

As ctmagnus mentioned above, that was 4 PM in Oblivion, Indonesia :p

Thinkingmandavid
11-06-2003, 02:38 AM
mmm, well i dont get it all,but it is all good :)

Pat Logsdon
11-06-2003, 04:36 AM
I guess because I am not a native speaker, that automatically made me a neanderthal guy who still think that the world is flat, like a piece of potato chip floating around that yellow shining ball called the sun :p
What? I thought the sun orbited the earth! Next thing you'll tell me is that the moon ISN'T made of cheese!

Really, Maximus, you HAVE to start lifting your knuckles a little when you walk. :mrgreen: :wink:

Interesting Link (http://www.flat-earth.org/).

maximus
11-06-2003, 05:01 AM
What? I thought the sun orbited the earth! Next thing you'll tell me is that the moon ISN'T made of cheese!

Whoa, a fellow non-native english speaker ! :rotfl:

Really, Maximus, you HAVE to start lifting your knuckles a little when you walk. :mrgreen: :wink:

I enjoyed reading the springfield theory. Very very interesting. Now I know that the earth is not four-sided, but a five-sided flat plate and it has a moon made from cheese. :mrgreen: [/quote]

ctmagnus
11-06-2003, 06:51 AM

8O

I now have a whole new level of respect for The Simpsons.