View Full Version : New user, Old problems

easyed
10-31-2003, 12:17 AM
All:

I have scoured forums far and wide searching for an answer to this issue.

I today received an Axim X5 basic, with PPC 2002, and ROM version A00. I have tried 6 different USB slots, 2 versions of Activesync, uninstalling and re-installing, removing and adding hardware from device manager in every combination humanly imaginable yet STILL activesync on my PC (XP Pro) refuses to acknowledge the presence of the PPC (in a Dell USB Cradle, however I have also tried the USB lead). The PPC recognises the PC, the PC knows that a new USB device has been plugged in, and activesync even acknowledges that USB is "connected" in the settings menu... but when it comes actually forming a partnership.... the "connecting message" just times out after about 10 seconds.

The closest I have come to the two acknowledging each others presence is with Activesync 3.7.1 which told me that the Axim was "not compatible with this version of activesync" .

I feel sure this is a software and not a hardware problem - the unit it perfectly fine in every other respect. I don't particularly care what i have to do to fix it (I have already tried soft and hard resets numerous times).

If anyone has any ideas whatsoever, please let me know and I will be eternally grateful!!!!!!!

Ed H

Kati Compton
10-31-2003, 12:39 AM
Wasn't there a known issue with recognizing the cradle as a USB device? I seem to remember that in some cases I think Dell sent out new USB cards for the PC so the cradle could connect to THOSE ports. Don't take my word on it, though. I'd check out the Dell support forums.

David Prahl
10-31-2003, 06:57 AM
Make sure you're using the version of ActiveStink - I MEAN...ActiveSync, that came with your Axim. Apparently this makes a difference.

Besides that, you could:

--Try a "guest" partnership
--Un-install and re-install everything, follow the manual step-by-step
--Hard-reset the Axim?
--OR...Gasp! Call Dell support!

easyed
10-31-2003, 02:11 PM
Well, after browsing the dell support forums for a little under 2 hours I found a thread which said there was a software confliction between IMsecure Pro and Activesync....lo and behold my problem is solved!

Thanks!!!!

Ed H

Thinkingmandavid
10-31-2003, 05:55 PM
Excellent. Make sure you're using the version of ActiveStink - I MEAN...ActiveSync, that came with your Axim. Apparently this makes a difference.

I like this post, and I like the humor behind it :wink:

easyed
10-31-2003, 06:14 PM
next question...

Do you have to do something special to make the inbox/contacts etc work? Its syncing notes, tasks and favourites just fine, and I can transfer files on and off my PPC just fine.

When i go to sync after ticking the inbox etc checkboxes on the PPC in activesync is " see status on device" - my device doesnt have much to say on the matter. Have a missed a setting somewhere? manual doesnt mention this problem.

Ed